The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

It will be interesting to see if Lind winds up back on the wing in the NHL or if they like him more as a center. 

The fact that he is effective at both positions improves the chances that we will at least see him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I have thought over the last year as Lind has played center more, he would make a great third line center.  Responsible in his own end, is a bit of a pest  and is a good play maker.  He has a good shot as well but I see him as a better playmaker.  I think he could be Sutter's replacement next season. Maybe a line of McDonough - Lind - Virtanen would make a strong third line in a year or two. B)

Edited by dpn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, dpn1 said:

I have thought over the last year as Lind has played center more, he would make a great third line center.  Responsible in his own end, is a bit of a pest  and is a good play maker.  He has a good shot as well but I see him as a better playmaker.  I think he could be Sutter's replacement next season. Maybe a line of McDonough - Lind - Virtanen would make a strong third line in a year or two. B)

im liking both of them lind and Mcdonough but there is no way were replacing 3c with a rookie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

There's this kid, Kunz, Gadjovich & Keppen for sturdy LW's. Be interesting to see how many of these kids can make the jump. We might have a rather large LW-contingent, down the road.

Hi Nux

I hearing Keppen is really struggling......like ever since the draft year...............what have you heard?

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like McDonough..............he is still un-signed

how long do we have too sign him?, also people were worrying about the rest of our NCAA players, whos the last canucks player to jet for FA

5 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

how long do we have too sign him?, also people were worrying about the rest of our NCAA players, whos the last canucks player to jet for FA

I can't remember the last guy, we have been pretty lucky.......McDonough is Aug. 15th, 2023 he is UFA, so we have time. You can find it on Cap friendly

on the reserve list at the top of the Canuck page. It's good info there.

15 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I can't remember the last guy, we have been pretty lucky.......McDonough is Aug. 15th, 2023 he is UFA, so we have time. You can find it on Cap friendly

on the reserve list at the top of the Canuck page. It's good info there.

pretty rare isnt it, wasnt vesey the last person to do it?

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Nux

I hearing Keppen is really struggling......like ever since the draft year...............what have you heard?

Well JIHN, guess I'll break the rules of "The Prospects Page" & confess, I don't track them too closely. My reactions are usually to 2nd, 3rd or 4th-hand info, in form of replies/links/hilights, etc...

Don't know about you, but I recall life changing(sometimes suddenly) in those youth yrs, between late teens, through our early, even mid-20's. Then in times of uncertainty(like COVID-strife), you might multiply that by 2 or 3 factors. You never know to what degree these young men remain committed..which to me further proves JB's wisdom, as he seems to demand an excess of character in the young projects he picks.

For top-end prospects, like the excitement of following EP in Sweden, it's rather different. I'd warrant none of us could help paying some attn to fireworks like that season.

But for depth-grinders(guys who should fill the bottom-end of a pro team), I've got things to do. I like to hear we've drafted a mitt-full(shotgun-approach), & ensured there is plenty of SIZE, with some skill & speed thrown in. Then..voila! You got some clay to mold some pottery.

If they see they've got peer-competition, well that should motivate them EVEN more, if they got that aforementioned character. This can also be applied if they see the top pro team is young, rising, popular & charismatic. All these things should raise the bar, & push our prospects to worthy heights.

So it seems we got 4 or 5 young, sizeable LW's here, who all wanna' make their mark. Sounds good to me, cos' I love it whenever Van has had a talented roster with push-back.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well JIHN, guess I'll break the rules of "The Prospects Page" & confess, I don't track them too closely. My reactions are usually to 2nd, 3rd or 4th-hand info, in form of replies/links/hilights, etc...

Don't know about you, but I recall life changing(sometimes suddenly) in those youth yrs, between late teens, through our early, even mid-20's. Then in times of uncertainty(like COVID-strife), you might multiply that by 2 or 3 factors. You never know to what degree these young men remain committed..which to me further proves JB's wisdom, as he seems to demand an excess of character in the young projects he picks.

For top-end prospects, like the excitement of following EP in Sweden, it's rather different. I'd warrant none of us could help paying some attn to fireworks like that season.

But for depth-grinders(guys who should fill the bottom-end of a pro team), I've got things to do. I like to hear we've drafted a mitt-full(shotgun-approach), & ensured there is plenty of SIZE, with some skill & speed thrown in. Then..voila! You got some clay to mold some pottery.

If they see they've got peer-competition, well that should motivate them EVEN more, if they got that aforementioned character. This can also be applied if they see the top pro team is young, rising, popular & charismatic. All these things should raise the bar, & push our prospects to worthy heights.

So it seems we got 4 or 5 young, sizeable LW's here, who all wanna' make their mark. Sounds good to me, cos' I love it whenever Van has had a talented roster with push-back.

I kind of use the everything approach

I use size, stats, +/-, watch video, etc I use the pasta approach............I throw it at the wall and if it sticks its done!

I do like the Prospcect section on HF Boards.....it seems the most reliable eye witness type of info (None professional for the most), but also some professional scouts drop by, 

I also use our reserve list on Cap Friendly for the most current stats.

Usually if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it most likely is a duck, but I do a lot of cross referencing. I love the prospects...........they are the hope!

Cheers, thanks for dropping by!

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

pretty rare isnt it, wasnt vesey the last person to do it?

Yeah it's really rare. Vesey was the last notable person to do it but Carolina traded Adam Fox to New York just before he finished his fourth year because he told them he had no intention of signing with them and was going to be a free agent if they didn't trade him.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

As mentioned it's not often that an NCAA player will play the full 4 years to be able to be a UFA. I'm confident that Aiden will sign with the Canucks by next summer if not this. 

As for the last Canuck if I recall it was once and that was way back in the early 2000s with RJ Umberger. But even he wanted to sign with the team after his 2nd or 3rd year of college. It was that they couldn't come to terms on a contract and I think he didn't play that year. Then the Canucks drafted Kesler and there was some animosity between them. I don't think they wanted to play on the same team? I could be mistaken on that. But RJ was then traded to Philly I think. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

As mentioned it's not often that an NCAA player will play the full 4 years to be able to be a UFA. I'm confident that Aiden will sign with the Canucks by next summer if not this. 

As for the last Canuck if I recall it was once and that was way back in the early 2000s with RJ Umberger. But even he wanted to sign with the team after his 2nd or 3rd year of college. It was that they couldn't come to terms on a contract and I think he didn't play that year. Then the Canucks drafted Kesler and there was some animosity between them. I don't think they wanted to play on the same team? I could be mistaken on that. But RJ was then traded to Philly I think. 

Yeah, Kesler and Umberger had bad blood going back to their shared season at Ohio State. Umberger did sit out a season as you indicated so he could reach free agency. The Canucks actually traded his rights to the Rangers for Martin Rucinsky but Umberger never signed with the Rangers and opted to sign with Philadelphia after becoming a UFA.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Correct, at the deadline, when Burke was scrambling to plug the Bertuzzi hole, after he got suspended for the Colorado incident.

45 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Correct, at the deadline, when Burke was scrambling to plug the Bertuzzi hole, after he got suspended for the Colorado incident.

Umberger left Ohio State after his 3rd year intending to sign with the Canucks. However, he and Burke got into a real nasty spat over contract negotiations and neither side would give in. As a result, Burke gave in at the trade deadline and dealt him to the Rangers for Rucinsky as Beruzzi's replacement for the playoff run. It is a popular belief that he was traded to Philadelphia but that simply is not true. Umberger opted to wait until he reached free agency that summer and signed with Philadelphia as a UFA.

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Martin Rucinsky
March 9, 2004
Martin Grenier
R.J. Umberger
New_York_Rangers.gif

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d be surprised if he turns pro this year. I certainly wouldn’t be against it, and would be quite pleased, actually, if he got signed. But I expect he’ll return to NU for at least one more year, and possibly play out his full 4 years and complete his degree, before signing his ELC. 

The Huskies will see the bulk of their leadership group graduating this year, as well as key contributors like Solow (Captain and leading scorer) and Jozefek (Assistant Captain and T4th).  So next year offers McDonough a chance to take on even more of a main role, likely wear a letter, and really look to be a key player, both in scoring/production and taking on a leadership role, on and off the ice.

It’s a pretty young team, with the majority of the roster being underclassmen, a large group of sophomores (I think 11) now moving with McDonough to their junior years, some freshmen (like Gunnarwolfe Fontaine) showing great promise, and also a solid recruitment class coming in for 2021-22. I could see McDonough sticking around for another year or two and seeing if he can help lead the next generation of the team, and build the group into a Frozen Four contender, and maybe win another Beanpot, before he closes out his college career.

Just like the role that Rathbone played with Harvard, and Lockwood with Michigan before.  

If he's able to keep his momentum in the NCAA then we will have another player on our hands here.  Love his size and he's currently one of our most underrated prospects IMO. 

I didn't see anyone post this here so I'd thought I throw it up, it's only a month and half late lol. Chris Faber at CanucksArmy did a very good break down of McDonough for their prospect countdown and in it he seems to be very confident that he is returning to Northeastern next year.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/04/09/canucks-prospects-rankings-7-aidan-mcdonoughs-shot-ready-pro-hockey-rounding-out-rest-game-ncaa/

• Cheers 4