The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Trade between Vancouver and Chicago fell through over Seabrook

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Speculated to be 8 or 9.

I think there's reasonable grounds/possibility he may have been higher than that.

Benning specifically said himself that he had deal/s in the works to move down - but Podkolzin being on the board put an end to that consideration - they were not trading down if he was still there - meaning he valued him at a 2nd round pick (or more) more than the remaining field on the board.  It's also possible that any possible intent to trade up may have involved targetting this player (I think that is less of a 'certainty', but a possibility).

In any event, valuing Podkolzin enough to not consider trading down puts his value at give or take at least a 2nd round pick relative to the field - possibly worth the value of a few trade up spots, or that 10 spot represented a considerable break point in their list / if it was a tier where value dropped off considerably (meaning they may have highly valued Zegras, Pod, perhaps Seider, etc) - but 10 turned out to be a fortunate spot for them that fell right before a drop off as it played out.

I'm unable to find the article but it was reported that podkolzin was #8 on the canucks list, hence they didn't end up trading down to get him.

58 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

You assume too much and I do know how the salary cap works, thank you. You basically just proved my point even more with the comment above, so...THANK YOU!!!!!

Hughes and Byram would not need protecting in the expansion draft. They would be exempt based on number of years of pro experience needed to be eligible.

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

You assume too much and I do know how the salary cap works, thank you. You basically just proved my point even more with the comment above, so...THANK YOU!!!!!

yeah you sure got me

zing  :wub:

here's a little information for you about the expansion rules (copied and pasted from nhl.com):

(the bolded area relates directly to hughes and byram)

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

4 hours ago, Boone Jenner said:

https://twitter.com/JamesCybulski/status/1143163471913074694

Heard over the weekend that #Canucks & #Blackhawks had discussed swapping the 3rd and 10th overall picks so Vancouver could jump up to get Bowen Byram, but Chicago wanted Van to take D Brent Seabrook and the remaining 5 years/$6.875M AAV on his contract. Thus the deal died.

From what I understand, if it wasn’t for the two year wait our pick would have been in he top three anyway. I’ll take our pick. At some point in the future, Chicago will be dying to get rid of the Seabrooke contract because they are going nowhere with that albatross around their necks. We have some very cap wise people on cdc, what happens if Eriksson refuses to show up to play?

4 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

I don't think they would have done that, however...would it have worked if they did it for Sutter?

If eriksson refuses to report his contract and pay is void and he can not play in the NHL until the remaining years are up.

He is owed 9million still.

He will report or be traded. 

3 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

From what I understand, if it wasn’t for the two year wait our pick would have been in he top three anyway. I’ll take our pick. At some point in the future, Chicago will be dying to get rid of the Seabrooke contract because they are going nowhere with that albatross around their necks. We have some very cap wise people on cdc, what happens if Eriksson refuses to show up to play?

2 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If eriksson refuses to report his contract and pay is void and he can not play in the NHL until the remaining years are up.

He is owed 9million still.

He will report or be traded. 

If he doesn’t show up he still eats cap space?

29 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If he doesn’t show up he still eats cap space?

No, canucks clear 6mill in cap (3mil in salary)

Loui doesn't get to play in NHL for 3 years either. All money owed at that point is void as is contract.

Edited by GhostsOf1994

Wadr to JD Burke, I'd take the word of James Cybulski over his.

Burke's pretense to know everything the team discussed - is comical.  He's a wannabee smarmy outsider that spends all his time with childish taunts of Benning's work - trying here to peddle the myth that he's apprised of the extent of the Canucks negotiations?

I don't necessarily assume Cybulski's claim is entirely sourced, but Burke's counterpoint is even more pretentious and laughable imo.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

yeah you sure got me

zing  :wub:

here's a little information for you about the expansion rules (copied and pasted from nhl.com):

(the bolded area relates directly to hughes and byram)

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

Okay so then explain it to me. After finishing their second years, respectively, does that count as them being 3rd year players once the season is over. Also, since Quinn Hughes played last year. I think I was 5 games, but I don't fully recall, would the year before expansion be counted as his 3rd? I think anything past 5 games counts on his contract as another season, which makes 3.

Not that it matters anyways. Like I said, you proved my point. And say we did acquire Seabrook and were able to talk thru a proper and fair trade which worked for both sides, I can't imagine it would be hard to get him to waive it for Seattle. It's not like they'd pick him anyways, so it would be irrelevant. That, plus the fact that this sort of thing wouldn't happen if there wasn't a fair salary/contract length trade off. I mean, we've got some real winners on defense right now *rolls eyes*. Just wait til Myers gets 8×7 from Benning.

4 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Okay so then explain it to me. After finishing their second years, respectively, does that count as them being 3rd year players once the season is over. Also, since Quinn Hughes played last year. I think I was 5 games, but I don't fully recall, would the year before expansion be counted as his 3rd? I think anything past 5 games counts on his contract as another season, which makes 3.

Not that it matters anyways. Like I said, you proved my point. And say we did acquire Seabrook and were able to talk thru a proper and fair trade which worked for both sides, I can't imagine it would be hard to get him to waive it for Seattle. It's not like they'd pick him anyways, so it would be irrelevant. That, plus the fact that this sort of thing wouldn't happen if there wasn't a fair salary/contract length trade off. I mean, we've got some real winners on defense right now *rolls eyes*. Just wait til Myers gets 8×7 from Benning.

No.  5 games does not qualify -  he would have had to play 10.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

No.  5 games does not qualify -  he would have had to play 10.

Well that's good. I read alot of barking back and forth. You sure? I know the 9 games rule is for a rookie in the CHL, but when we had both Boeser and Corrado, they both played 6 games and it ate a year of their ELCs.

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

Well that's good. I read alot of barking back and forth. You sure? I know the 9 games rule is for a rookie in the CHL, but when we had both Boeser and Corrado, they both played 6 games and it ate a year of their ELCs.

if you doubt it - google it yourself.

Would have loved to have nabbed Bryam at the draft, but Seabrook's contract would have hamstrung us for years to come, and in the years when we're supposed to be competitive too. Way too much to take on for a defenseman that, as much as I would have loved to see him in a Canuck uniform, isn't the right handed shot we're looking for. 

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

if you doubt it - google it yourself.

Well Brock Boeser has played in 9 games in his first season and then 2 seasons after that yet he is RFA. So it seems I was right about the years thing. Whether that also pertains to expansion or not is a different story.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Wadr to JD Burke, I'd take the word of James Cybulski over his.

Burke's pretense to know everything the team discussed - is comical.  He's a wannabee smarmy outsider that spends all his time with childish taunts of Benning's work - trying here to peddle the myth that he's apprised of the extent of the Canucks negotiations?

I don't necessarily assume Cybulski's claim is entirely sourced, but Burke's counterpoint is even more pretentious and laughable imo.

Is that where he is from?  No wonder I had no idea who he is....

• Cheers 1