The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2019 Canucks Developmental Camp

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No, because he's under a KHL contract, he can't do anything NHL related, including our developmental camp.  

In other news, as per Alex Auld, Jake Kielly is looking like a great goaltender based on his first impression.  From a goalie to a goalie, high praise. 

FWIW Jake Kielly was signed in April 2019 after 3 years with Clarkson in the NCAA.  0.929 save % last 2 years.  22 years old.  Maybe in Utica this year

Edited by Crabcakes

14 hours ago, Stelar said:

Maybe he has other options. Agreed to follow through with draft prep and is leaving now that the draft is over. Doesn’t mean he has been fired. 

We have a winner! 

Walker left the Canucks organization after draft weekend to take a new position with the Coyotes.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-development-department-loses-scott-walker/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Which leaves the Canucks with a development staff of one person: Ryan Johnson.

Wonder if if this is something the team needs to address? I know there’s some overlap between the Canucks coaching staff and their development department. Same with Strength and Conditioning. But perhaps they should consider investing in a full time staff similar to what the Leafs have in their player development department?

57AEA5C9-70EC-4A36-8B78-7E5B1A622E6F.jpeg.8e58a66442be00be18fb9ebb5c5e772d.jpeg

I know some people will react with hostility to any suggestion that the Leafs might be doing something better than the Canucks, but that’s a pretty impressive group of full-time development personnel. Personally, I’d love to see the Canucks build up a similar staff dedicated to player development. Drafting and development go hand-in-hand, and it only makes sense to invest money in staffing a player development department to get the best possible results from our picks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We have a winner! 

Walker left the Canucks organization after draft weekend to take a new position with the Coyotes.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-development-department-loses-scott-walker/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Wonder if if this is something the team needs to address? I know there’s some overlap between the Canucks coaching staff and their development department. Same with Strength and Conditioning. But perhaps they should consider investing in a full time staff similar to what the Leafs have in their player development department?

I know some people will react with hostility to any suggestion that the Leafs might be doing something better than the Canucks, but that’s a pretty impressive group of full-time development personnel. Personally, I’d love to see the Canucks build up a similar staff dedicated to player development. Drafting and development go hand-in-hand, and it only makes sense to invest money in staffing a player development department to get the best possible results from our picks. 

If drafting and developing is the way to long term success we need more than just Johnson.  I say hire a full staff.

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We have a winner! 

If I was named GM tomorrow this would be my first priority  with money not being an object. I’ll be very disappointed if we don’t hear about an invigorated approach to this organizational challenge in the near future. Our record of “developing” players is suspect. That we have a relatively youthful core full of high draft picks has not come about do to any extra diligence by the team but rather by the precociousness of a few exceptional players. I want to see development played out in a more systematic manner and, with what promises to be a fairly deep list of youngsters either graduating from college or from the junior ranks in the very near future, this area needs some clarity and purpose.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

What an extremely underwhelming group.  Lol.  

Our pool isn’t all too deep yet.  

With last year's first round pick already on the big team and therefore not at development camp and Podkolzin back in Russia already (sigh, part of the "Russian factor"), it is not a surprise that development camp looks thin. And it does look thin.

Also, last year's second round pick (Woo) is apparently injured. Woo fell from being a likely first rounder to the second round in his draft year because of injury. He looks like a great pick apart from the injury factor, but obviously that is a worry. Does anyone know anything about the current injury, like what it is or what the expected time line is?

Thanks,

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We have a winner! 

I do think that things have become a little thin in the personnel department lately. When did Stephane get saved from Robidas Island?

On 6/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, fanfor42 said:

Was odd Pod had to leave right after being drafted. I wonder if there was some paperwork Walker could have filed to cover the canucks in the event they drafted Pod that would have allowed him to stay.

Seems odd he was let go right after this. Did he miss something? Hmm.

Nope, Pd and his family were obviously elevated at the draft and will certainly be in Vancouver as soon as reasonably possible.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:51 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We have a winner! 

Before Walker left (which is so recent there hasn't been time to fill that vacancy), the Canucks development team actually looked quite similar.

Senior Director -- Ryan Johnson

Director -- Scott Walker

Senior Advisor - Doug Jarvis

Goaltending Director - Dan Cloutier

Player Development, Goaltending Consultant - Curtis Sanford

Skill Coach - Glenn Carnegie

Jarvis spends a part of his time in Utica, part in Vancouver.  There isn't a goaltending director for the Leafs, which makes it easier for Sanford to do more.  And Ellis is the only skill coach, like Carnegie -- the Leafs don't have one for player development and one for NHLers.   

A major difference is that the Marlies and the Leafs are in the same city.  If the farm team was playing in the Coliseum, Jarvis could easily be moved to assistant director or player development consultant, and work in development full time.  But asking him to move his family to Utica is unrealistic.  Though how much value an assistant director adds to a team that already has a senior director and a director is unclear. 

However a huge omission is a skating coach.  I don't know if the Canucks outsource that to part time skating instructors or what, but the organization absolutely needs one.  In fact, it should be mandatory for all prospects to work on skating during the first three summers after their drafts.  It would make the transition to pro so much easier and you really can't be too fast for the game.  Even top notch skaters have things they can improve in, whether it be edge work, stops and starts, backwards skating, etc.  Even veteran NHLers in their 30s can still benefit from tweaks that make them more elusive or efficient.  Considering the whole premise of the game is to move around on ice, anyone who wants to be a pro hockey player should be busting their bums on skating.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 4