The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/poll] A Zaitsev deal that makes sense

[proposal] A Zaitsev deal that makes sense looks like:  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is there a Zaitsev deal that makes sense?

I think TO is ripe to be robbed of prospects. For me, if we could land Sandin and Bracco thats fair value for taking on Zaitsev's contract and really helps us with getting two quality ELCs that can contribute soon. We'll need that for the next 3 years as the cap recapture is upon us.

Yes Zaitsev is overpaid, but Sandin and Bracco will be cheap and more than balance out the overpayment for Zaitsev.

Or am I nuts? You decide. 

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd do it.  Would Toronto?  I suspect they'd have to get more desperate than they are now.  Sandin may already be in their plans for next year with Gardiner gone.  I expect they'd way rather give us a forward.

I don't see how they'd be able to turn a Tanev deal down, particularly if its retained. Dermott-Tanev 50% retained gives them something resembling a 2nd pairing for very cheap. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

i think you are being a tad greedy there jimmy

tanev (50%) for zaitsev and sandin would be a fine deal

zaitsev can still play and help

tanev's contract is up and he is often hurt

sandin looks like a real prospect

sure i'd like more.. but i'd to it without bracco too

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

I'm sick of having passengers on the squad - we already have to bite the bullet with LE, not sure I could stand 5 years of Zaitsev.  Remember, Zaitsev comes with a M-NTC which I'm tired of having hanging over our heads every time we need to make a move to improve the roster. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm sick of having passengers on the squad - we already have to bite the bullet with LE, not sure I could stand 5 years of Zaitsev.  Remember, Zaitsev comes with a M-NTC which I'm tired of having hanging over our heads every time we need to make a move to improve the roster. 

well, there's a chance he's not a passenger tho, he might be happy as hell to come here. 

But if he is, he's actually a very good buyout:https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/nikita-zaitsev#results

Worth Sandin and Bracco even as a buyout imo. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

zaitsev is not trash

he is a r dman who is an nhl player

if his contract was 1.5 million less he's a solid addition

so over paying a bit and getting a prospect is good value

zaitsev also has upside, he may be better then he showed last season

Given where the Leafs are at, I don;t think they can afford to move Sandin or Lilljegren at all.  They are likely expecting both to play in the NHL at some point next season.  Leafs have backed themselves into a corner where they don't have many assets to tie to Zaitsev to move him.  I think they end up moving Kadri for low cost D help instead.  

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Given where the Leafs are at, I don;t think they can afford to move Sandin or Lilljegren at all.  They are likely expecting both to play in the NHL at some point next season.  Leafs have backed themselves into a corner where they don't have many assets to tie to Zaitsev to move him.  I think they end up moving Kadri for low cost D help instead.  

given where the leafs were at

they could not afford to trade a 1st round pick to dump marleau

but they did

if they do nothing they will lose marner

not like they have a ton of options available

I'd rather get more draft picks.  Prospects are nice, but you still have to make room for them to properly develop.

I know everyone wants the cream to rise to the top (if someone can insert the Macho Man clip), but you don't want to shove away some good but slower developing prospect just because you have a new and shinier toy.  

Also, picks are better as "currency".  The value of trading a prospect is only as valuable as what the buyer is willing to pay.  On the other hand, a draft pick is a draft pick, regardless of the team.  

11 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'd rather get more draft picks.  Prospects are nice, but you still have to make room for them to properly develop.

I know everyone wants the cream to rise to the top (if someone can insert the Macho Man clip), but you don't want to shove away some good but slower developing prospect just because you have a new and shinier toy.  

Also, picks are better as "currency".  The value of trading a prospect is only as valuable as what the buyer is willing to pay.  On the other hand, a draft pick is a draft pick, regardless of the team.  

aren't draft picks prospects ?

not sure what you are going on about ?

a draft pick once picked has less value to you ?

(ps.  but i do think you really capture accurately the mentality of many cdc posters)

Edited by coastal.view

28 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

zaitsev is not trash

he is a r dman who is an nhl player

if his contract was 1.5 million less he's a solid addition

so over paying a bit and getting a prospect is good value

zaitsev also has upside, he may be better then he showed last season

Trading for upside from an already developed player, who still have five years of term, is a big mistake.  If he had one year that's different.  Five years is way too much.  And 4.5 for a bottom pair guy is way too much.  The Leafs would have to keep 50%, and even then that's still too much salary.  Gunnarson just signed for 1.75.  and only 2 years term.

Just now, Alflives said:

Trading for upside from an already developed player, who still have five years of term, is a big mistake.  If he had one year that's different.  Five years is way too much.  And 4.5 for a bottom pair guy is way too much.  The Leafs would have to keep 50%, and even then that's still too much salary.  Gunnarson just signed for 1.75.  and only 2 years term.

read the whole post alf

and respond to the post

don't just quote it and then post something very different

also don't overlook the prospect that would be coming back with him

:picard:

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

read the whole post alf

and respond to the post

don't just quote it and then post something very different

also don't overlook the prospect that would be coming back with him

:picard:

He's not worth it.  His contract "sucks".  Marner is the only Leaf I would want to take on Zaitsev's five years of craperolla.  

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

aren't draft picks prospects ?

not sure what you are going on about ?

a draft pick once picked has less value to you ?

The value of the prospect has many factors... age, pedigree, the pick used, progression/regression, development program, and if traded, who the other team is.  A team with lots of high-end offensive talent doesn't value an offensive prospect as highly as a team lacking offensive players in the system.  

A draft pick.... it is what is it, a pick.  The 33rd pick is never going to worth more than a 32nd pick (with the exception of a team requiring to reacquire a previously traded pick to offer-sheet a player).  A pick's value is static (unless it's trade for a pick in a future year).  

For example... if Jake Virtanen is traded right now, he isn't going to be returning a #6 overall pick in the upcoming draft.  His age, development, whatever... his value relatively decreased.  Alternatively, if Boeser was available, he could probably garner a top-5 pick.... much improved from the #23 used to draft him.  

This year's draft... the Canucks traded the #102 for the #122 and #175.... since a pick's value is generally stable.  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

The value of the prospect has many factors... age, pedigree, the pick used, progression/regression, development program, and if traded, who the other team is.  A team with lots of high-end offensive talent doesn't value an offensive prospect as highly as a team lacking offensive players in the system.  

A draft pick.... it is what is it, a pick.  The 33rd pick is never going to worth more than a 32nd pick (with the exception of a team requiring to reacquire a previously traded pick to offer-sheet a player).  A pick's value is static (unless it's trade for a pick in a future year).  

For example... if Jake Virtanen is traded right now, he isn't going to be returning a #6 overall pick in the upcoming draft.  His age, development, whatever... his value relatively decreased.  Alternatively, if Boeser was available, he could probably garner a top-5 pick.... much improved from the #23 used to draft him.  

This year's draft... the Canucks traded the #102 for the #122 and #175.... since a pick's value is generally stable.  

i still find your views odd

i don't want really want an accumulation of draft picks

i want the real players they can be cashed in for

but that's just me

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i still find your views odd

i don't want really want an accumulation of draft picks

i want the real players they can be cashed in for

but that's just me

personally I'd rather have a prospect if the pick is out of the top 20. You have a lot more info to work with and predict success.