The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Erickson trade

13 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I proposed this in another thread and I still think it makes sense for both teams.

To Ottawa

Eriksson, Schaller ($14.9mil real dollars, $7.9mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $4.5 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room to sign some RFA's and FA's.  

To Vancouver

Bobby Ryan ($22.5mil real dollars, $7.25mil cap hit)

Get a player who is a bit better offensively than LE, worse defensively.  Seems like a character guy.  We get a lower cap hit.  We also clear out some space for more contracts and actual space on the roster.

This makes a lot of sense. 

Also factor in all three players deserved their contracts when they signed them - there is low risk, high reward as none of them can get much worse but could bounce back with a change of scenery. Also it is actually $10.5 in actual dollars going to the Senators and $20.5 going to the Canucks in your proposal. Need to account for the signing bonus. 

So the Senators save 10 million dollars and inch up closer to the cap floor. Not a bad idea for either side. I would have Ottawa retain 1.5 million per year. This gives us an extra 2.1 this year and evens out the cap hits moving forward. Ottawa still saves $5.5 million in cash while getting closer to the cap floor. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I proposed this in another thread and I still think it makes sense for both teams.

To Ottawa

Eriksson, Schaller ($14.9mil real dollars, $7.9mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $4.5 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room to sign some RFA's and FA's.  

To Vancouver

Bobby Ryan ($22.5mil real dollars, $7.25mil cap hit)

Get a player who is a bit better offensively than LE, worse defensively.  Seems like a character guy.  We get a lower cap hit.  We also clear out some space for more contracts and actual space on the roster.

This deal is fair and might work for both teams.   I really don’t think LE is going anywhere unless Lucic or Ryan or a similar bad contract comes back the other way.  Personally would rather just stick it out, the devil you know right, plus from LE’s viewpoint the only way out is to start playing like we’ve seen him capable of when he’s really trying (he’s had games where he’s our best player), like against his former teams etc.   Each year he’s done, he becomes easier to trade (assuming he doesn’t regress), worst case scenario he does and we just send him to Utica save 1 million.  He’s buyout proof, and in some respect he’s like a cap reserve (plus the recapture penalty), that will keep the money on the side for when we really need it.   9 million could buy us something special later on, and be used for our own guys raises etc.

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed.   Not sure who it is distracting.    

publicly? just the usual suspects on radio, but I do think the interview Loui did this summer burned off whatever support he had left in the fanbase.

I have no idea how someone like Bo see's him. I doubt anyone would ever know but those closest to him and even then i'd guess he has more important things to talk about. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

publicly? just the usual suspects on radio, but I do think the interview Loui did this summer burned off whatever support he had left in the fanbase.

I have no idea how someone like Bo see's him. I doubt anyone would ever know but those closest to him and even then i'd guess he has more important things to talk about. 

When you are on a team, you pay very little attention to anything not said in the room (inclusive at meals, on buses, planes etc.).    You pay even less attention to stuff like this other than giving a guy gears at practice.   It was always "you are part of the team until you are not".   There are very rare instances where a guy on a team is such a dick that you hope he is moved but that isn't sense at all I get about Loui.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Loui can’t play anymore.  The boys want the best chance to win.  Loui cannot be in that room.  

He is still an NHL player Alf...he isn't the player some want him to be but perhaps you are joking but in seriousness, this guys is still a legit NHL player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, care to elaborate?   

Cannot have that negative/bad attitude in the dressing room especially when rebuilding with young players around. I am sure TG doesn't want him back in the room and ignoring calls from JB doesn't work either. LE is done as a Canuck, it would be a huge surprise, even if he gets sent down to Utica, that he reports. Worst case scenario, If no trade is possible then put him on waivers and send him down, do not buy him out.

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So Marleau cost a 1st to dump and we somehow get a pick back to dump a full cap hit over 3 seasons for a prospect and project player?

I had another interesting idea, that may work. Demolition is still waiver exempt. A like for like trade, in terms of bad contracts, may be the only way out. As such.... would New Jersey be open to taking a 1 for 1 exchange involving Loui and Schneider ?? They are roughly the same value IIRC. 

in in this scenario, we send Demko to the Ahl for a few months, opening with Markstrom and Schneider duo, Then we turn around and trade Marky for picks( and they’d be second round or better if he continues his form of the last 1.5 seasons), promote Demko and go with Demko- Schneider combo. It has the added benefit of giving us a disposable goalie ( Schneider) to expose to the expansion draft. 

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

Cannot have that negative/bad attitude in the dressing room especially when rebuilding with young players around. I am sure TG doesn't want him back in the room and ignoring calls from JB doesn't work either. LE is done as a Canuck, it would be a huge surprise, even if he gets sent down to Utica, that he reports. Worst case scenario, If no trade is possible then put him on waivers and send him down, do not buy him out.

What negative/bad attitude are you referring to?    Are you projecting that from a Google translated interview that has him saying he isn't sure he and the coach were on the same page?    That is having a negative/bad attitude?    You agree with your boss on everything?   Do you have a negative/bad attitude and therefore are a cancer in your work as a result?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What negative/bad attitude are you referring to?    Are you projecting that from a Google translated interview that has him saying he isn't sure he and the coach were on the same page?    That is having a negative/bad attitude?    You agree with your boss on everything?   Do you have a negative/bad attitude and therefore are a cancer in your work as a result?

LE should realize its his fault things are not working out and this is not the first coach on our team who has not been able to fit him in accordingly. Criticizing your coach in the media is the wrong thing to do considering how much money he's paid. It would be a mistake to let him back in the dressing room.

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

LE should realize its his fault things are not working out and this is not the first coach on our team who has not been able to fit him in accordingly. Criticizing your coach in the media is the wrong thing to do considering how much money he's paid. It would be a mistake to let him back in the dressing room.

You seem to feel strongly about this but all he did is say he and the coach were not on the same page.    Again, I ask you - have you ever not been on the same page as your boss?    Did he allow you to come back to work the next day?   Did your co-workers consider you a "cancer" because you thought the boss was using you the wrong way?

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You seem to feel strongly about this but all he did is say he and the coach were not on the same page.    Again, I ask you - have you ever not been on the same page as your boss?    Did he allow you to come back to work the next day?   Did your co-workers consider you a "cancer" because you thought the boss was using you the wrong way?

If my personal success or failure was influenced by that fellow employee you bet I’d be pissed.  Show up, shut up, and do your friggin’ job.  If you’re being a whiner, and causing us to lose money, then it’s out the door.  

If you were in battle, and the guy beside you starts whining about the Sargent not using him properly, and how he’d be better with a different unit, would you want that guy watching your back?  Chemistry (trusting your mates) is huge Rob; you know that. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If my personal success or failure was influenced by that fellow employee you bet I’d be pissed.  Show up, shut up, and do your friggin’ job.  If you’re being a whiner, and causing us to lose money, then it’s out the door.  

If you were in battle, and the guy beside you starts whining about the Sargent not using him properly, and how he’d be better with a different unit, would you want that guy watching your back?  Chemistry (trusting your mates) is huge Rob; you know that. 

Is he being a whiner Alf?   He has one Google translated article simply saying he and the coach were not on the same page.   I think that hardly classifies him as a whiner - I think anyone who watches the team would found that a statement of fact.    

Chemistry is huge but this to me is a big nothingburger being blown out of proportion.   Clearly Loui is not a happy camper and clearly his days as a Canuck may be numbered but he didn't sit out, refuse to report, throw a teammate under the bus etc. etc.    Guys in the room would go "meh, wow he's the first guy in team history to not think the coach was not using him right" and then laugh immediately afterwards.    IF he had been quoted as saying he didn't trust certain players, felt some players gave up or similar...then the room is impacted and the cancer word can be used but at this stage, what a lot of chatter about nothing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Is he being a whiner Alf?   He has one Google translated article simply saying he and the coach were not on the same page.   I think that hardly classifies him as a whiner - I think anyone who watches the team would found that a statement of fact.    

Chemistry is huge but this to me is a big nothingburger being blown out of proportion.   Clearly Loui is not a happy camper and clearly his days as a Canuck may be numbered but he didn't sit out, refuse to report, throw a teammate under the bus etc. etc.    Guys in the room would go "meh, wow he's the first guy in team history to not think the coach was not using him right" and then laugh immediately afterwards.    IF he had been quoted as saying he didn't trust certain players, felt some players gave up or similar...then the room is impacted and the cancer word can be used but at this stage, what a lot of chatter about nothing.

All true, except Loui no longer helps the team win.  You know as a teammate when a guy is done.  Loui is done.  This has nothing to do with his contract.  He’s done as an NHL player.  Guys careers are short.  Every year they want the best team possible, so they have their best chance to win.  Loui reduces the guys’ chances of winning.  Add to that his public (and private for a full year) whining, put that into the room, and that’s a recipe for a bad room.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

private for a full year whining

Alf, interesting.   To you?   Hadn't heard anyone else say this.

Oh, and he is still a legit NHL player.   Perhaps not the player you want him to be but he is still an NHL player.

Your comments on the room are so far removed from reality buddy.   Sorry, I have to play the "been there" card on this one.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Alf, interesting.   To you?   Hadn't heard anyone else say this.

Oh, and he is still a legit NHL player.   Perhaps not the player you want him to be but he is still an NHL player.

Your comments on the room are so far removed from reality buddy.   Sorry, I have to play the "been there" card on this one.

Wisebrod said in an interview, after Loui’s comments become news here, that the team was aware of Loui’s concerns and had been dealing with it fir the season.  Someone posted that.  Plus, I heard the interview on 650.  

I don’t think an NHL room is much different from my grade 9 Dodgeball room.  (Although we actually had two rooms; it was a mixed team). 

• Haha 1