The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Could we not sign a UFA C to a 2 way contract and then waive him to try make it to Utica, that doesn't take much effort in my books. 

That's a contract. Two way deal is still an NHL contract. They have to sign strictly an AHL contract. Lowers the quality of players available. So not that simple.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Could we not sign a UFA C to a 2 way contract and then waive him to try make it to Utica, that doesn't take much effort in my books. 

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That's a contract. Two way deal is still an NHL contract. They have to sign strictly an AHL contract. Lowers the quality of players available. So not that simple.

I'll give you an example of "it is as simple as just go do it". Cole Cassels started this season in the ECHL and was signed by the Belleville Senators on a PTO. Well on 1/3/20 he was released from that PTO and the very next day was signed to a standard AHL contract for the rest of the season by the WBS Penguins.

Players can opt out of their PTO contract if another team offers them a standard contract which is why he was released by the Baby Sens.  Utica has been short on centers all season so Johnson could have offered Cassels an AHL contract at anytime but didn't nor has he gone out and signed any centers to address the issue.

Cassels obviously isn't in Vancouver's plans anymore but he is a serviceable bottom 6 center in the AHL and could help the Comets. Plus an AHL contract has zero impact on the 47/50 NHL contracts the Vancouver has allocated.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I'll give you an example of "it is as simple as just go do it". Cole Cassels started this season in the ECHL and was signed by the Belleville Senators on a PTO. Well on 1/3/20 he was released from that PTO and the very next day was signed to a standard AHL contract for the rest of the season by the WBS Penguins.

Players can opt out of their PTO contract if another team offers them a standard contract which is why he was released by the Baby Sens.  Utica has been short on centers all season so Johnson could have offered Cassels an AHL contract at anytime but didn't nor has he gone out and signed any centers to address the issue.

Cassels obviously isn't in Vancouver's plans anymore but he is a serviceable bottom 6 center in the AHL and could help the Comets. Plus an AHL contract has zero impact on the 47/50 NHL contracts the Vancouver has allocated.

Is it possible that Johnson has inquired and Cassels' side said no thanks? There are many other players that we could sign for the short term, but as I mentioned earlier, perhaps the team is just trying to weather the storm and allowing the wingers to see if they can develop an aspect to their game that could give them a leg up on the competition. Also perhaps a player or two aren't far off from returning.

Whatever the case, this is Johnson's decision if AHL contracts are in question and not a Benning directive and not him caring about the farm team as some have suggested.

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Is it possible that Johnson has inquired and Cassels' side said no thanks? There are many other players that we could sign for the short term, but as I mentioned earlier, perhaps the team is just trying to weather the storm and allowing the wingers to see if they can develop an aspect to their game that could give them a leg up on the competition. Also perhaps a player or two aren't far off from returning.

Whatever the case, this is Johnson's decision if AHL contracts are in question and not a Benning directive and not him caring about the farm team as some have suggested.

When several fans from Utica complain that the Comets have no center depth on message boards it can be taken with a grain of salt. When the head coach of the team is quoted "We have no centermen" maybe Benning/Johnson should listen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

When several fans from Utica complain that the Comets have no center depth on message boards it can be taken with a grain of salt. When the head coach of the team is quoted "We have no centermen" maybe Benning/Johnson should listen.

Maybe they could get some help and I'm sure if there was a deal to be made, it would've been done already. I just don't think it's accurate to suggest that they don't care about the team and aren't doing anything about it.

Jasek was being tried at center as early as preseason this year (preparing for potential center depth loss). It was always something they seemed to be working on with him. Benning used up a contract spot with Graovac (intended to be call up depth) and he had a good preseason so he earned a look when we were down Sutter and Beagle, unfortunately he got hurt (perhaps he's getting closer to returning, so they're simply waiting it out). Johnson has Camper, Hamilton, and Malone signed. There was also the possibility that Gaudette may have been in Utica for a portion of the year prior to preseason. Perhaps they target NCAA free agent centers this year.

The Comets are playing tonight against the Senators farm team.  4pm on AHLTV or KRock their radio coverage of the game.  I think you can order single games on AHLTV if you want to watch the occasional game.  Hoping Mikie gets the start.

Comets short on forwards at the moment. Stefan Leblanc a dman currenly playing LW on the fourth line.

Lind also playing centre for the first time since being in juniors.  He has primarily been a centre on the first unit powerplay but never 5v5.  Will be interesting how he fairs.

• Thanks 2