Canucks Community

[Discussion] Availability of Seth Jones

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Hey 

I re-read my comment

So, it comes off rude

Sorry...……...

I would love a Dman like Jones, but to get him in trade would cost big

I totally understand that it would take a king's ransom to get it done (probably not quite what the above user thinks it will, but still...)

The point is that it would literally complete the rebuild, and considering that we're pretty much at the tail end of our rebuild, while it looks like CBJ might be just about to enter one. If it got us our last piece, Considering the pieces we have in place at nearly every position other than right D, I really wouldn't be overly concerned with coughing up numerous 1st rd picks if it got us our guy.

To be somewhat controversial, I don't think 1st rd picks are as valuable to us going forward as they were 3 or so years ago. Not just because our picks are probably going to be lower from this point forward, but because we're pretty set in most of our most important positions. 1st line center? Petey. 2nd line center? Bo. Top line RW? Boes. 2nd line RW? Likely have that too with Podkolzin. Top 6 LW? Got it with Miller (and I have some pretty high hopes for Hoglander as well). Top pairing left D? Hughes. And we have quite a few goaltenders in the system as well. 

Point is that we have a lot of our most important pieces set for the next decade, so those future picks may not hold the significance to us that they would to a team that looks to be staring the beginning of a rebuild dead in the eye. I think it's at least worth a discussion, even if it's a long shot at best. We need to get our next top pairing right D somewhere. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm aware that it would be near impossible, but my god would it be perfect. I would literally be willing to ship out anything and everything outside of our big 4. Next 2 first rd picks? Wu? Juolevi? Demko? 

It's difficult when you don't have a lot in terms of strong assets that are playing at a high level right now (other than untouchables), but I still think it's worth a discussion.

I'd be willing to give up one of Juolevi or Woo and Demko

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It'd take way way way more than that. 

Thats what I'd give u as far as our high end prospects goes , they can add whatever they want after that like Tanev, Stetcher, Sven, Sutter or Goldobin maybe next years 2nd

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

A young 1D will take a team that needs a young established 1C.  Trading a bunch of lessor assets and question marks isn’t going to cut it 

We have to look at it within the proper context too. This discussion is predicated on the idea that CBJ completely craps the best next season and going into full rebuild mode. Sure, to us, with the current state of our team and just starting to pull ourselves out of the ass end of a rebuild, a 24 year old top pairing right D would be as untouchable as Petey, but to a team that's staring a multi-year rebuild dead in the eye? It may be worth it to gain a king's ransom in picks and prospects.

Again, this is all just hypothetical. For all I know CBJ could be in the playoffs again next season, in which case this whole discussion is moot anyways.

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Thats what I'd give u as far as our high end prospects goes , they can add whatever they want after that like Tanev, Stetcher, Sven, Sutter or Goldobin maybe next years 2nd

We're talking about Seth Jones. It would take a far more massive haul than that. Probably multiple firsts + a combination of a couple of the prospects you've suggested just to pique their interest. The point is it still might be worth it to get our guy.

Columbus is hard to predict, they just bled talent like no tomorrow but they're still a reasonably young and talented team. The oldest guy on their roster is Dubinsky at 33. 

Not sure they'll be rebuilding any time soon but I could see them maybe looking at a retool? Problem is they're likely gonna want a top 6 c, a starting goalie (which is possible to find via ufa) and maybe a star winger. If they're to move a guy like Seth Jones I think it'd be more likely they're looking for presents than futures. I think it's unlikely they move him though, top D are tough to find. He's locked in for a few more seasons at reasonable cost and I imagine they'll do their damn best to extend him. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We're talking about Seth Jones. It would take a far more massive haul than that. Probably multiple firsts + a combination of a couple of the prospects you've suggested just to pique their interest. The point is it still might be worth it to get our guy.

I guess it depends on the package. Where do you rank Seth Jones with the #1 D's in the league?

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

I guess it depends on the package. Where do you rank Seth Jones with the #1 D's in the league?

Considering his age and his position, pretty damn high up there. Top 10 in the league, which is probably why so many people have (rudely) taken towards trying to tell me why even having a discussion over it is a waste of time XD

I like the thought process of the OP. Canucks could really use an upgrade on our R side D. Yes, we got Myers but in order to be true cup contenders we MORE of everything from our back end.

I also agree with many other posters. Seth Jones would cost too much, if he ever even became available down the road.

Looking to the Blues roster on D, I would argue they don't have any 'elite' dmen but have a very solid group that works well within their system and style of play. That being said, I feel some D options we could potentially target based on their overall game are as follows:

Brett Pesce -younger, healthier version of what we now have in Tanev (Carolina may be willing to trade him since they are very strong on their R side with Faulk and Hamilton being there too)

Matt Dumba- Minnesota is a team in transition, finished last in a very difficult central division and will likely be bottom dwellers again. Competing with the likes of Nashville, Dallas, St.Louis and Winnipeg is downright unfair. All of their division rivals outside of Chicago could make it out of the West next year.

*Both players are on good contracts and would fit within our timeline (2-3 years away from contending) as they are 24 yrs old.

What it would take to land either of them is up for debate but I would be more than willing to bite the bullet on either of these dmen. They are not 'elite' like Seth Jones but are very good players who help us get to that next level IMHO.

I'm of the mold that overall team defense, drive and tenacity, along with heart is a big driver of success in the NHL. Just look at what teams like Vegas, St.Louis and Carolina are able to accomplish in these past few seasons, playing a well rounded, team game, according to their strengths.

Lastly, we also need to move Loui without taking back a similar albatross of a contract if we want to be able to go after guys like Pesce and Dumba, as well as sign our home grown talent (ie. Boeser, Petey, Hughes).

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

I like the thought process of the OP. Canucks could really use an upgrade on our R side D. Yes, we got Myers but in order to be true cup contenders we MORE of everything from our back end.

I also agree with many other posters. Seth Jones would cost too much, if he ever even became available down the road.

Looking to the Blues roster on D, I would argue they don't have any 'elite' dmen but have a very solid group that works well within their system and style of play. That being said, I feel some D options we could potentially target based on their overall game are as follows:

Brett Pesce -younger, healthier version of what we now have in Tanev (Carolina may be willing to trade him since they are very strong on their R side with Faulk and Hamilton being there too)

Matt Dumba- Minnesota is a team in transition, finished last in a very difficult central division and will likely be bottom dwellers again. Competing with the likes of Nashville, Dallas, St.Louis and Winnipeg is downright unfair. All of their division rivals outside of Chicago could make it out of the West next year.

*Both players are on good contracts and would fit within our timeline (2-3 years away from contending) as they are 24 yrs old.

What it would take to land either of them is up for debate but I would be more than willing to bite the bullet on either of these dmen. They are not 'elite' like Seth Jones but are very good players who help us get to that next level IMHO.

I'm of the mold that overall team defense, drive and tenacity, along with heart is a big driver of success in the NHL. Just look at what teams like Vegas, St.Louis and Carolina are able to accomplish in these past few seasons, playing a well rounded, team game, according to their strengths.

Lastly, we also need to move Loui without taking back a similar albatross of a contract if we want to be able to go after guys like Pesce and Dumba, as well as sign our home grown talent (ie. Boeser, Petey, Hughes).

Dumba in particular would be amazing add, but you just know they'd want Boeser in return. I also don't have Minny pegged as a team that would be willing to go full on rebuild and move their stars for futures. They've sort of been in a perpetual retool/rebuild ever since their inception, always just trying to squeak in and never really having the balls to tear everything down and start from scratch. 

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Dumba is not available.

Minnesota had more points than Vancouver.  They have every intention of making the playoffs.  They think Dumba is going to be a huge factor.  Fenton talked so often of how much they missed him last season.

Also their future core is just as young as the Canucks' core.  He's a 24 year old RHD who they think is only going to get better.  He fits their timeline perfectly.  

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Columbus would totally trade Jones... ...for Pettersson.

So, unless you wanna do that, let's stop wasting everyone's time, m'kay? 

I have both in my keeper pool.... Probably as close as it gets to having both of them on our team in this reality.  Stranger things have happened.... 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Columbus would likely want a guaranteed first round pick in this years draft. Columbus needs a goalie though so they definitely would want Demko. Boeser, Demko + another prospect or pick and likely Baertschi.

+ Conditional 1st 20/21 + 2nd 20 something like that... Probably more.

As someone else mentioned. We'd have a much better chance at getting Dumba for Boeser, straight across, no other add-ons.... I could see that, especially with Boeser's negotiations going on right now.  

Question is... Would you want to do that?  

16 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

+ Conditional 1st 20/21 + 2nd 20 something like that... Probably more.

As someone else mentioned. We'd have a much better chance at getting Dumba for Boeser, straight across, no other add-ons.... I could see that, especially with Boeser's negotiations going on right now.  

Question is... Would you want to do that?  

It doesn't make sense for Minnesota.  Listen to owner Leopold and Fenton and it's pretty apparent that he's their most untouchable player.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

It doesn't make sense for Minnesota.  Listen to owner Leopold and Fenton and it's pretty apparent that he's their most untouchable player.

Probably not... But we're all spitballing at best here.  Just imho more plausible then getting Jones.