The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Vegas

With Gusev still on the market i think we need to really look at going all-in for him.

To Van:

Gusev

To Vegas:

Virtanen

Vegas is looking for an active roster play to slot into their 3rd line in return and this would be a great fit for them. It sounds like Vegas is reluctant to deal within the division so i would also be willing to add an extra pick (from one of the deals mentioned below) to make it work.

Sign Gusev to 2 years x 4M.

Trade Sutter (50% retained) for late round pick. Cap space but more importantly the roster spot.

Trade Baertschi for a mid round pick (3rd-4th round) His spot on the roster is just not very clear. I feel somebody will take a shot on him despite the concussion problems.

Send Loui to Utica and save the 1M in cap space and clear the roster spot

I think its fair to say Gaudette can fill in for Sutter on the third line, beagle already picks up Sutters PK and faceoff duties on the 4th. I also think that MacEwen is ready for full time duties in the NHL to replace Virtanen/Baertschi. I really like Virtanen and don't want to see him go, i do think he'll take another step this year but i feel like his production can be easily replaced. Seems like Justin Bailey (recently signed) is a similar player with some untapped potential that could maybe slot into a similar roll if MacEwen doesnt work out.

Our line up would potentially look like this.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gusev

Leivo-Gaudette-MacEwen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Goldobin

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Tanev

Fantenberg

• Wat 1

If we actually do shed some cap with the moves above, or maybe move Tanev for picks as well we could take on Holden (2.2M) to replace him for the year. Could send back Biega if they need a cheap 6/7th defenceman to replace him in the lineup.

Gusev, Holden for Virtanen, Biega

Fill in draft picks on either side to make it work but essentially Vegas fills in their 3rd line winger spot with a young, high energy winger with some upside with zero cap implications as Biega/Virtanen make less than Holden combined.

But Gusev has the potential to hit so much more than that. He is also by all reports an elite playmaker that the Horvat line so desperately needs. 

Gusev is 26, he's not old. He would also be a part of the core.

• Wat 1

I have no interest in giving up current assets for KHL players as I have no idea how they will transition their game from the KHL to the NHL.Two seasons ago, Ilya Kovalchuk was the leading scorer in the KHL and looked like a shadow of his former self this year with L.A. Philip Larson (remember him?)was the KHL top defenseman the same season. How do you project what KHL players will do in North America when you see where known ex-NHL players are ranked in the KHL? Even when you look at their playoff leading scorers this year you will see Mikhail Grigorenko and Teemu Hartikainen as the top 2 scorers.while Gusev was fourth. Grigorenko's best season in the NHL was 27 points while Hartikainen's was a whopping 5 points.

Gusev could be a decent NHL player but from my perspective I would not like to gamble by giving up assets like Virtanen for him. We simply do not know if Gusev will be a bust, a star or somewhere in between so why make this move.

As a side note, Gusev is 27 as of today so he is relatively old for our core and he is 5'9" and 154 lbs........can he handle the rigors of the NHL?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I have no interest in giving up current assets for KHL players as I have no idea how they will transition their game from the KHL to the NHL.Two seasons ago, Ilya Kovalchuk was the leading scorer in the KHL and looked like a shadow of his former self this year with L.A. Philip Larson (remember him?)was the KHL top defenseman the same season. How do you project what KHL players will do in North America when you see where known ex-NHL players are ranked in the KHL? Even when you look at their playoff leading scorers this year you will see Mikhail Grigorenko and Teemu Hartikainen as the top 2 scorers.while Gusev was fourth. Grigorenko's best season in the NHL was 27 points while Hartikainen's was a whopping 5 points.

Gusev could be a decent NHL player but from my perspective I would not like to gamble by giving up assets like Virtanen for him. We simply do not know if Gusev will be a bust, a star or somewhere in between so why make this move.

As a side note, Gusev is 27 as of today so he is relatively old for our core and he is 5'9" and 154 lbs........can he handle the rigors of the NHL?

I agree with you almost totally, but in the regular season, Gusev outscored Grigorenko by 30 points and Hartikainen by 37.  He led the league by 13 points.  I could see why people are hoping to get him cheap and that he is then the next Kucherov.  

I think we are 1 playmaker away from having a great top 6.  However, it is probably not Gusev.

It is funny to see that the guys he outscored include Nigel Dawes, Dan Sexton, and Shipachyov who couldn't make it with the Knights.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I agree with you almost totally, but in the regular season, Gusev outscored Grigorenko by 30 points and Hartikainen by 37.  He led the league by 13 points.  I could see why people are hoping to get him cheap and that he is then the next Kucherov.  

I think we are 1 playmaker away from having a great top 6.  However, it is probably not Gusev.

It is funny to see that the guys he outscored include Nigel Dawes, Dan Sexton, and Shipachyov who couldn't make it with the Knights.

I noticed that too but maybe that's another reason not to pursue him as perhaps he disappears when the games count? I just can't project his North American performance and would not be willing to give up Jake to find out.

1 hour ago, Smegna said:

But Gusev has the potential to hit so much more than that. He is also by all reports an elite playmaker that the Horvat line so desperately needs. 

People undervalue what Virtanen will do for this team. Yes, its taken a little while for him to really come into his own as a player, but he's getting steadily better and is coming into the age where a lot of power forwards break out.

We need players with Virtanen's speed and strength

• Upvote 3

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van-Vegas
2 hours ago, Smegna said:

"Potential", "by all reports".....

Goldobin fits that too.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 6string said:

Virtanen will hit 20 plus goals, he is a part of the core.                1_WeMzCLXCaZjVHCh8zKz_Wg-002.jpg.9c5894c539a4068d5bf805bc8e49fd6a.jpg                 

1 hour ago, 6string said:

"Potential", "by all reports".....

Goldobin fits that too.

"Virtanen will hit 20 plus goals", he hasn't even come close to that. How is that any different that saying Gusev has "potential". I highly doubt Virtanen puts up 82 points in 62 games in the KHL. We need to stop overvalueing our players. In order to get a potentially top end player you need to give up something that has some value, especially within our own division. Unfortunately Ballard, Raymond and a 4th isn't gonna get it done here.

I like Virtanen ALOT, and i do hope he breaks out but unfortunately i feel like him breaking out is 25 goals and 40 points. Gusev will put at least that up next year no problem and has speed and skill to burn. We need high end skill players to get the most out of Petteron, Boeser, and Horvat and unfortunately that will never be Virtanen. The traits that Virtanen does well , speed/shot are easily replaced. High end puck skills and hockey IQ are not.

He may not pan out, there is always that risk with players coming from other leagues but there is also alot of risk in assuming that Virtanen is going to break out next year...

Edited by Smegna

A) Coughing up a good, young asset for an unproven, 27 year old Russian that may or may not sign makes no sense for a rebuilding team.

B] We don't have the cap space to sign Gusev anyways.

C) Vegas won't deal him to a team in their own division. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Smegna said:

"Virtanen will hit 20 plus goals", he hasn't even come close to that. How is that any different that saying Gusev has "potential". I highly doubt Virtanen puts up 82 points in 62 games in the KHL. We need to stop overvalueing our players. In order to get a potentially top end player you need to give up something that has some value. Unfortunately Ballard, Raymond and a 4th isn't gonna get it done here.

I like Virtanen ALOT, and i do hope he breaks out but unfortunately i feel like him breaking out is 25 goals and 40 points. Gusev will put at least that up next year no problem and has speed and skill to burn. We need high end skill players to get the most out of Petteron, Boeser, and Horvat and unfortunately that will never be Virtanen. The traits that Virtanen does well , speed/shot are easily replaced. High end puck skills and hockey IQ are not.

He may not pan out, there is always that risk with players coming from other leagues but there is also alot of risk in assuming that Virtanen is going to break out next year...

15 goals (pretty close to 20), 10 assists in 70 gp last season, for a 22 year old that's spent the better part of his professional career working on his 200' game and playing 3rd line minutes. He's shown flashes of the power forward he could become, against NHL players. We know Virtanen's potential in this league, and if he doesn't hit it, he could still be a solid 3rd/4th liner from what we've seen already. Gusev is a small 27 year old question mark who's never played a game in the NHL, and if he doesn't live up to the potential/hype of a Panarin, or Kucherov, etc... there's not really any other spot for him.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A) Coughing up a good, young asset for an unproven, 27 year old Russian that may or may not sign makes no sense for a rebuilding team.

B] We don't have the cap space to sign Gusev anyways.

C) Vegas won't deal him to a team in their own division. 

Why would Vegas be threatened by the Canucks...we have been a perennial Lottery team for a while now. But yes they probably prefer an eastern team. Canucks just need a player with high end skill for Bo's wing, Gusev might fit the bill and adding more Russians has to help us try bringing Nikita back which is not a bad thing. Low risk and for the right price he should be interested

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why would Vegas be threatened by the Canucks...we have been a perennial Lottery team for a while now. But yes they probably prefer an eastern team. Canucks just need a player with high end skill for Bo's wing, Gusev might fit the bill and adding more Russians has to help us try bringing Nikita back which is not a bad thing. Low risk and for the right price he should be interested

We were in the playoff hunt for most of the season last year, and we have a significantly upgraded roster this year. If anybody is writing us off as a cellar dweller this season, they'll be in for a rude awakening soon enough. Any GM that has done a lick of homework knows we're on the upswing and looking to do some damage this season. Vegas has no reason to sell a potential top 6 winger to a division rival on the upswing for what they would likely consider scraps.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smegna said:

"Virtanen will hit 20 plus goals", he hasn't even come close to that. How is that any different that saying Gusev has "potential". I highly doubt Virtanen puts up 82 points in 62 games in the KHL. We need to stop overvalueing our players. In order to get a potentially top end player you need to give up something that has some value, especially within our own division. Unfortunately Ballard, Raymond and a 4th isn't gonna get it done here.

He had 15 last year and he's a member of our core.

Your fixation with Gusev is just that, we'll stay the course with Jake.

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

He had 15 last year and he's a member of our core.

Your fixation with Gusev is just that, we'll stay the course with Jake.

I would like a proven play maker for Bo but I would rather pony up some more and get a proven player and with a little luck dump both BS and LE.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1