The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sign Pettersson to the Eichel contract

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

Or his agent screws up and Petey has a so so season or possible injury that effects his long term status etc concussion

That's possible.  I think it's more likely that he bets on himself and plays through most of year 2 before he sets a price tag.

45 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's possible.  I think it's more likely that he bets on himself and plays through most of year 2 before he sets a price tag.

And you could be right but maybe he'll remember  his injuries last season and think differently......who really knows

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Fair enough.  But then shouldn't the calculation be based on the projected salary cap for the 2020-21 season?  If the approach is to base the offer on a percentage of the cap hit, then wouldn't the team and the agent be looking at the incoming cap hit?  Using the 2019-20 cap to pitch this as a theory is OK, but I would think they would be using the 2020-21 cap numbers when they actually sit down to negotiate.

Don't get me wrong, I like the theory, I just think you're a little early.

What could make this more interesting is if either side opts out this September, although I think that is highly unlikely.

You’re absolutely right. I used the wrong year by mistake!! I will edit the OP

19 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

In 2017 the Buffalo Sabres signed Jack Eichel to a 8 year 80 million dollar contract which was 13.33 % if the cap at the time. Eichel still had 1 year left in his ELC and many viewed this contract as an overpayment. Looking at the current RFA market, it’s hard to argue that 10 million per season for the next 7 years is overpaying for a number 1 centre entering his prime. 

My my idea is JB should pursue the same contract with pettersson. Assuming  the salary cap is 83.5 million for the 2020-2021 season, 13.33 % of the cap would be 11.14 million. 

Locking petey up long term at this dollar figure before the final year of his ELC is, imo, the smartest move the Canucks can make regarding pettersson. It eliminates the possibility of an offer sheet and sets the Canucks up for a decade of success

Eichel didn't earn that kind of $ and Petey hasn't either.  

• Thanks 1

Eichel is the contract that started all this RFA hellabullo in the first place (ok McDavid but one can argue he deserved it).. it’s ridiculous.   Consider Tavares signed for 5 his second contract and he was hyped almost as much as McDavid..these guys are not earning their money and it’s going to result in a major shift over the next few years...teams could barely afford an up and coming core with great UFA support before this started (CHI) - now they will have to do more with less.  At least until the GMs stop throwing hundreds of millions away each July 1... it’s started already with a pile of still decent but guys getting one year instead of a few which is ok - but then look at contracts like Skinner and Hayes and give your heads a shake - same as it ever was for the better group of guys, but they are getting 50% more then they used to on their second contracts.   EPs not worth ten - none of these guys (RFAs) are.  

I have no doubts Petey is a franchise player. But, saying that i think the max i would go is Aho's contract at this point. He has proved more for his first big contract. If Petey was open to a 8 year contract though i would go 9 million per. 

Edited by KKnight

• 3 weeks later...

This ELC is where Petey makes his big bucks and can compare himself to the greats around the league. I think he will avoid the sophmore slump and smash out a point-per-game rate next season, especially after bulking up and getting better linemates. The following season I think he's going to score 90-100 points and demand big money. He will be a top-5 forward in this league for a while if he keeps this up, if he scores around 60-80 pts over the next few seasons we have some bargaining chips but I don't think he will, I think he'll tear it up in his final year of the ELC just like Pastrnak/Aho have done. This is a young man's game now and he'll be bossing it in 2 seasons time.

If we can get him for 10-12M for 8 years I'll be happy.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:44 PM, -AJ- said:

I'd rather wait and hold on personally. Even if Pettersson does score something like 90 points this year, I don't think he'll be worth much more than $10M. If on the other hand, he only scores 75 points, we might be able to get him for $8-$9M.

if he scores 90pts this year his agent is going to ask for McSaviour $. If he is near or over ppg his next deal will be double digits for sure, unless we can cast a spell on him to sign a team friendly deal haha

I think Petey cares more about wining then money.....even look at the draft after he was picked , he came back to the table to hear about the other prospects.....Petey isn't blind , he will want a ring more then getting paid like mcdavid....he can see the damaged what those huge contracts do to a team....

I can see a bridge deal like P Kane and Toews took.