The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

On 9/7/2019 at 4:17 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

What if we just scrapped checking lines and went all offence, all the time:

Motte and Beagle for Puljujarvi

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Pearson Gaudette Puljujarvi

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

::D

Puljujarvi cannot handle the pressure of playing in a tough market. He’ll end up in FLA, TBL, ARI, CAR, CBJ, SJS, ANA, or VGK where going to a hockey game is like going to the market fair to watch cattle perform.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

My thoughts are if I'm taking a stab at Pulj 

Leivo: I think easily cracks their top 6.  Which as of right now looks like MCD, Drai, RNH, Chias son, then............. uh  Real deal? Granlund? Yams? Kassian? Khairrhea? 

Madden: I just don't think there is room for him here. I think he will be an NHL player but at 155 I'm not overly concerned about facing him repeatedly.

4th: they get a lotto ticket. 

We leave Pudjy in Lliga for a couple years rinse that Oiler smell off. In 2 years we use Sutter, Edler, Pearson, Baretschi's money to re up Hughes and Pete. Call redrover redrover Pudj Hoglander Podz over. 

And rock a lineup that looks something like.

Ferland Pete Boeser  

Miller Bo Virtanen v

Goldy Gaudette Podkolzin ^

Hoglander Beagle Puljujaravi ^

Roussel, Lind, Dadjovich, Keppen, Karlsson

Myers Hughes

Juolevi Woo

Tryamkin Stetcher

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 10:21 AM, Provost said:

Virtanen is older, and his last season bright up his PPG total pretty significantly, so not entirely fair to compare them that directly.

I would probably trade Virtanen for Puljujarvi, but they might need a small sweetener as Jake has a much higher floor and less of a complete bust potential.  He can play in the bottom half if he can’t find his offensive game.... not sure that goes for Puljujarvi.

I wouldn't.  Guys like Virtanen are invaluable in the playoffs.  Speed, size, strength, and aggressiveness with an ability to score are what successful playoff teams are built on. 

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't.  Guys like Virtanen are invaluable in the playoffs.  Speed, size, strength, and aggressiveness with an ability to score are what successful playoff teams are built on. 

Well I am glad you are hopeful about what he could possibly become... but he hasn't shown more than a few glimpses of those things as of now, and he has several years under his belt as a pro.

At the moment we have an average sized player with good wheels who keeps testing near the bottom of the team in terms of conditioning and strength and by default prefers to play a perimeter game to the point the coaches have to hound him all season about just taking the puck to the net.

We are all hopeful that Jake turns into the player the team envisioned when they drafted him, but even they are losing faith as can be noted by signing Miller and Ferland who are actually what they hope Jake might have become.

As for the return, Puljujarvi has more of those elements than Jake has and to a higher degree.  He is bigger, stronger, more physical, more skilled, and a more likely to put up numbers in a tight playoff format.  

It would be trading two players who haven't lived up to their potential for each other.  You give up a little in terms of floor as Virtanen has a better chance of being a useful 3rd liner, but you gain in ceiling as Puljujarvi has a better chance of being a top 6 guy.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Until he actually plays a playoff game, it's all just wishful thinking.  

As far as we know, he may those players who plays worse in the post-season due to all the clutching, grabbing and more physical play.  

Where does this idea come from that Jake is inconsistent in his aggressiveness? Does he mix it up with players regularly, no that was never his game you idiots need to stop with that. But he was 2nd on the team in hits. And the idea he is perimeter, I see him in or around the net all the time. I swear y'all have scouting reports for 5 years ago and just regurgitate that info ad nauseam. Pool party has 124 hits in 139 career games. Jake had 154 hits last season alone. If you think Puljujarvi is stronger and more physical than Jake you're just straight up hating on Jake. I am sorry. I can't let this idiocy stand in regards to Jake's physical presence. 

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well I am glad you are hopeful about what he could possibly become... but he hasn't shown more than a few glimpses of those things as of now, and he has several years under his belt as a pro.

At the moment we have an average sized player with good wheels who keeps testing near the bottom of the team in terms of conditioning and strength and by default prefers to play a perimeter game to the point the coaches have to hound him all season about just taking the puck to the net.

We are all hopeful that Jake turns into the player the team envisioned when they drafted him, but even they are losing faith as can be noted by signing Miller and Ferland who are actually what they hope Jake might have become.

As for the return, Puljujarvi has more of those elements than Jake has and to a higher degree.  He is bigger, stronger, more physical, more skilled, and a more likely to put up numbers in a tight playoff format.  

It would be trading two players who haven't lived up to their potential for each other.  You give up a little in terms of floor as Virtanen has a better chance of being a useful 3rd liner, but you gain in ceiling as Puljujarvi has a better chance of being a top 6 guy.

So you are hopeful that Poolparty will become the player he was touted to be after scoring 8 pts, 20 pts, and 9 pts in his first 3 seasons while having ample opportunity to play with arguably the greatest hockey player in the world at the moment? 

Virtanen is not average sized:  http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=bios&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=playerWeight

He's listed at #33 in terms of 'size' (in my opinion, weight trumps height when it comes to size).  There's a reason why he hits as hard as he does. 

Poolparty is taller, but he's not bigger.  By your definition, Pettersson is bigger than Virtanen.

Poolparty is also not as physical.  You can find complete highlight packages on just Virtanen's hits.  You could probably find one or two hits by Poolparty in his entire NHL career.

Like you said, Virtanen can be a useful 3rd liner (a la Torres) that can chip in goals here and there with his speed and shot.  Poolparty is absolutely useless unless he's playing well in a Top 6 role.  We already have that in Goldy.  Why would we want another player that we HOPE could turn into a Top 6, when he has shown absolutely nothing in terms of the ability to translate his junior days into the NHL? 

So Virtanen is bigger, stronger (in my opinion), more physical, and as of this moment more likely to put up numbers (has averaged a higher PPG average over his career so far than Poolparty -- albeit not by much, but has done so without the luxury of playing with a McDavid, and playing mostly 3rd line minutes).

At this moment in time, I would take Virtanen over Poolparty 10 times out of 10.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Where does this idea come from that Jake is inconsistent in his aggressiveness? Does he mix it up with players regularly, no that was never his game you idiots need to stop with that. But he was 2nd on the team in hits. And the idea he is perimeter, I see him in or around the net all the time. I swear y'all have scouting reports for 5 years ago and just regurgitate that info ad nauseam. Pool party has 124 hits in he 139 career games. Jake had 154 hits last season alone. If you think Puljujarvi is stronger and more physical than Jake you're just straight up hating on Jake. I am sorry. I can't let this idiocy stand in regards to Jake's physical presence. 

I don't get these fans either.  Too often Canucks fans are overly critical of our players while praising players on other teams just because the grass is greener on the other side.  Virtanen is exactly the type of player the Canucks will need once they make the playoffs.  Ferland and Miller are great for that reason as well, but if those 2 are playing Top 6, you want them focusing more on scoring and making plays, and letting the guys like Virtanen, Motte, etc drive the physical game.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So you are hopeful that Poolparty will become the player he was touted to be after scoring 8 pts, 20 pts, and 9 pts in his first 3 seasons while having ample opportunity to play with arguably the greatest hockey player in the world at the moment? 

Virtanen is not average sized:  http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=bios&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=playerWeight

He's listed at #33 in terms of 'size' (in my opinion, weight trumps height when it comes to size).  There's a reason why he hits as hard as he does. 

Poolparty is taller, but he's not bigger.  By your definition, Pettersson is bigger than Virtanen.

Poolparty is also not as physical.  You can find complete highlight packages on just Virtanen's hits.  You could probably find one or two hits by Poolparty in his entire NHL career.

Like you said, Virtanen can be a useful 3rd liner (a la Torres) that can chip in goals here and there with his speed and shot.  Poolparty is absolutely useless unless he's playing well in a Top 6 role.  We already have that in Goldy.  Why would we want another player that we HOPE could turn into a Top 6, when he has shown absolutely nothing in terms of the ability to translate his junior days into the NHL? 

So Virtanen is bigger, stronger (in my opinion), more physical, and as of this moment more likely to put up numbers (has averaged a higher PPG average over his career so far than Poolparty -- albeit not by much, but has done so without the luxury of playing with a McDavid, and playing mostly 3rd line minutes).

At this moment in time, I would take Virtanen over Poolparty 10 times out of 10.

I wouldn't be using weight as a measure of how "big" Virtanen is when he was just in the doghouse for his conditioning and has always fought his weight.  It ain't muscle that is adding that extra 10-15lbs.... he has literally said he just walks by a hamburger and gains weight.  His weight is actually a problem and not a strength of his, all the other players are getting lighter and leaner while getting stronger.  He is 6'1" which puts him tied for 10th on our team just in the 24 forwards on the roster right now, only 7 guys out of the 24 shorter than him.
Guys who are listed as lighter than Virtanen are stronger and more physical than he is.  Horvat, Beagle, Miller, Ferland, MacEwan, Sutter, Bailey, etc.

Puljujarvi hasn't had nearly the playing time that Jake has had and in terms of physicality it isn't just hits you want in a scoring power forward... it is him willing to bull his way to the net and score, or go into the corners and come up with the puck.  Virtanen just doesn't do that more than a handful of times a season and that isn't opinion.  The coach has said time and time again that they have sat Jake down and said what he needs to do is drive to the net.  When you see him do it, it is beautiful... but he just doesn't want to.

They are probably equivalent players right now, and I take the upside and bet on the fact Edmonton's development is a big part of the problem.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, HKSR said:

Love the Jake love on here it’s slightly turning in our favour.

This year is the year Virtanen shows more, last year he improved drastically defensively and I heard this year he was training more on the puck handling side of things.  Even if he has somewhat of a breakout season say 18 goals 15 assists, 33 points that’s pretty decent. He’ll get a longer and slightly more expensive contract around the 3m x 5yrs. If he really breaks out after that we could easily have a very good young player on a great contract. And I think that’s a modest guess for this seasons numbers. 

Cheers Jake fans

• Upvote 1