The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Goldy already plays light, so does shedding 15 lbs really make him tougher to play against? If it indeed helps his speed and agility then great, but not sure how that's going to help him win more battles. I guess he's trying to channel his inner EP?

its not a bad idea, if he really picks up his speed it will help him a lot, maybe give him that little bit of extra time to read whats going on.

I'm hoping the kid does well, seems like a good character. Not sure how he's going to get a spot but thats what camp is for. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Goldy already plays light, so does shedding 15 lbs really make him tougher to play against? If it indeed helps his speed and agility then great, but not sure how that's going to help him win more battles. I guess he's trying to channel his inner EP?

If being faster helps him utilize his skill then yeah he'd be tougher to play against. 

I think his idea is to be a lot faster so that he can get to those pucks and make plays. Being heavier perhaps hindered his skill set and didn't make him fast enough to get to pucks so he had to battle for them which hasn't worked out.

We will see though. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Good luck getting that sort of value, probably why he hasn’t moved yet.

Counter with a 6th and Karlsson

Well if it was any less that they were looking for, then a deal would've been made already. They aren't going to sell him for cheap and if no one wants to pay, then it's on Puljujarvi to decide if he wants an NHL career or not.

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

A loss of 15 pounds puts him around 181 pounds. About the same as what the Sedins played at. If he is going to play light, he might as well actually BE light so that he can take advantage of using speed and skill better

Sedins were tough as nails tough and they were lean. If he's going to be at that weight, he's going to have to be very fit.

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not a bad idea, if he really picks up his speed it will help him a lot, maybe give him that little bit of extra time to read whats going on.

I'm hoping the kid does well, seems like a good character. Not sure how he's going to get a spot but thats what camp is for. 

50 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If being faster helps him utilize his skill then yeah he'd be tougher to play against. 

I think his idea is to be a lot faster so that he can get to those pucks and make plays. Being heavier perhaps hindered his skill set and didn't make him fast enough to get to pucks so he had to battle for them which hasn't worked out.

We will see though. 

I hope that losing those 15 lbs has a significant enough impact on his speed and agility. Whatever he was doing before wasn't working for him so hopefully this does help. I am rooting for him to succeed, but he needs to have that drive. That's what's going to make the biggest difference for him.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well if it was any less that they were looking for, then a deal would've been made already. They aren't going to sell him for cheap and if no one wants to pay, then it's on Puljujarvi to decide if he wants an NHL career or not.

You are ignoring that the team needs assets for him as badly as he needs to be traded.  He gets to play at home, could go to the KHL and make a similar salary to what he would be offered here.

It is easy for a GM for a playoff team to play hardball... not so much a team at the Morton of the league every year.

7 hours ago, BPA said:

I think LE for Puljujarvi would be good for both teams.

:bigblush:

LE does all the good defensive things well.

I’d even say retain LE @ 50% to get it done.

Three years of paying an Oiler for a whole 20+ years of a kid’s career.

More than fair.

Edited by Me_

The only way he fits into our roster is if he plays with Pettersson. And there’s no way he’s taking Boesers ice time.

He doesn’t fit in a bottom 6 role either so there’s no way we open a spot for him.

He’ll probably end up in New Jersey.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The only way he fits into our roster is if he plays with Pettersson. And there’s no way he’s taking Boesers ice time.

He doesn’t fit in a bottom 6 role either so there’s no way we open a spot for him.

Leave him in Europe for this year. Revisit the situation at the end of the year or when his current Euro contract’s limit of December comes into effect.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Leave him in Europe for this year. Revisit the situation at the end of the year or when his current Euro contract’s limit of December comes into effect.

Yea I think the price will definitely come down.

If any non contending team is willing to pay a 1st for him they can have him.

I just don’t see how he would thrive in a Travis Green system. He doesn’t bring enough offensively for the top 6 and doesn’t have the two way game for the bottom 6. 

He’s all sizzle no steak. I felt that way before he was drafted. He has a ton of speed and raw skill, but doesn’t think the game at a high enough level.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea I think the price will definitely come down.

If any non contending team is willing to pay a 1st for him they can have him.

I just don’t see how he would thrive in a Travis Green system. He doesn’t bring enough offensively for the top 6 and doesn’t have the two way game for the bottom 6. 

He’s all sizzle no steak. I felt that way before he was drafted. He has a ton of speed and raw skill, but doesn’t think the game at a high enough level.

Laine watch then?

Thoughts?

Edited by Me_

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I felt that way before he was drafted. He has a ton of speed and raw skill, but doesn’t think the game at a high enough level.

This seems like a bit of revisionist history. All of his pre-draft profiles mention great hockey IQ, awareness, vision, etc. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

New Jersey says that there are a lot of teams that have a lot of talent but they don't excel because they don't have the right culture.  Puljujarvi sitting out and demanding a top-6 spot rather than earning it, doesn't really fit with the culture they are building over there.   

1 hour ago, Provost said:

You are ignoring that the team needs assets for him as badly as he needs to be traded.  He gets to play at home, could go to the KHL and make a similar salary to what he would be offered here.

It is easy for a GM for a playoff team to play hardball... not so much a team at the Morton of the league every year.

If Puljujarvi is happy to give up on his dream to play in the NHL, then that's fine. Puljujarvi was not a difference maker for Edmonton, so as far as they're concerned, there's no loss here. Giving in to an RFA and getting lowballed by a GM only sets a bad precedent that you don't want when starting a new job.

I don't see how a Linus Karlsson and a 6th would help them anymore than not having Puljujarvi and setting the tone for future RFAs to simply sit out and get what they want and have GMs buzzing around you looking to prey on your desperation. This is a GM that got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Tatar, so I think he's not going to be fleeced as easily as a Chiarelli. He has waited out players before and he won't be afraid to do it again.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's a huge ask for someone who's been less productive than virtanen while stating unequivocally that he will NOT play in Edmonton period

How long do they retain his RFA rights? If it’s similar to us with Tryamkin, Puljujarvi not playing for Edmonton holds a bit less weight. He either bends and comes back to Edmonton or stays in Europe for 4-5 years til free agency. Or a team offers up what Edmonton wants. Edmonton still has a good amount of bargaining power.

Edited by N7Nucks

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

This seems like a bit of revisionist history. All of his pre-draft profiles mention great hockey IQ, awareness, vision, etc. 

I don’t pay much attention to those they often seem to be subjective.

Watching him play at the world juniors I remember thinking man if this guy could figure out how to use his speed and his line mates better he could be really dangerous. I’m still left thinking that.

He is kind of like Grabner that way. I remember he would create a ridiculous number of chances a game with his speed but was just too raw to know how to use it properly.

I’m sure he’ll find success in the league at some point. I see him being an inconsistent player like Grabner though. I don’t think his hockey IQ is high enough. This has been covered in recent months as well.

• Cheers 2