The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

I wasn’t implying his regular linemates were McDavid and/or Draisaitl. I was simply implying his majority of his time in Edmonton he was paired with their top 3 centermen. Even if he had a few shifts per game with them. It’s not like he had Brodziak, Letestu, Desharnais etc as his centermen. Heck even Ryan Strome is a pretty offensive minded centermen to play with.

But he's still getting 12 minutes of ice time or less total per game on average. He's not playing top 6 offensive minutes. He's getting shifts, but he's hardly had a regular shift with them. Now maybe he hasn't earned it, which is why he hasn't made it yet, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that he's played with their top guys and hasn't succeeded. He's played the most with RNH, but he's also been relied on to be their defensive center because someone like Strome wasn't capable of doing so. Strome is very average offensively at best.

Friedman says Edmonton made it very clear that they wouldn't trade him unless they get what they want - a pick and a prospect.  They had some discussions with teams in Canada but Puljujarvi wants to go the US - somewhere quieter.

Tampa and Carolina had a lot of discussions with Edmonton.  Carolina is apparently willing to give up one of their prospects - he says maybe someone like Gauthier (21st overall in 2016) but are not so interested in giving up the pick.  Edmonton has an idea which prospects Tampa are willing to trade.  

Friedman thinks Puljujarvi will be traded but that Edmonton will make sure to get what they want.   

21 hours ago, Me_ said:

I wonder, if Puljujarvi is one dimensional, and Laine is one dimensional, how will Juolevi fair?

I never liked that pick. That Finnish team won gold and everyone jumped on them. 

How is JP one dimensional?  And no one ever thought Laine was anything but.........he just happens to better at that one dimension than almost anyone on the planet.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

How is JP one dimensional?  And no one ever thought Laine was anything but.........he just happens to better at that one dimension than almost anyone on the planet.

JP is okay with the puck.  That’s all he provides.  One dimensional.  He’s similar to Goldy, but Goldy is better with the puck.  

11 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman says Edmonton made it very clear that they wouldn't trade him unless they get what they want - a pick and a prospect.  They had some discussions with teams in Canada but Puljujarvi wants to go the US - somewhere quieter.

Tampa and Carolina had a lot of discussions with Edmonton.  Carolina is apparently willing to give up one of their prospects - he says maybe someone like Gauthier (21st overall in 2016) but are not so interested in giving up the pick.  Edmonton has an idea which prospects Tampa are willing to trade.  

Friedman thinks Puljujarvi will be traded but that Edmonton will make sure to get what they want.   

Really depends on the pick if I am Carolina. Gauthier and a 3rd or 2nd I'd do, but if Edmonton wants a first I say heck no. Also wasn't Raddysh's name floating around as trade bait last year? They surprisingly still have quite a few good prospects to dangle in trades. Good on Edmonton for staying strong on their demands. They have Puljujarvi's ass for years. They don't need to rush to make a deal. Also smart for Puljujarvi to sign a deal somewhere. I don't think Nylander was playing at all, mostly cause he didn't really want to risk injury probably, so he came back to the league rusty as hell.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:15 AM, mll said:

so if the Vancouver-Edmonton trade rumours were true, Puljuarvi didn't want to come here, Loui wouldn't go to Edmonton, Lucic did want to come home but he ended up in Calgary :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It took Jesse Puljujarvi 2:42 into the first period to score for Karpat in his re-debut.

Amazing.  The kid really is skilled.

No question o think at this point, he just wants out of Edmonton

• Cheers 1

On 8/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, theo5789 said:

But he's still getting 12 minutes of ice time or less total per game on average. He's not playing top 6 offensive minutes. He's getting shifts, but he's hardly had a regular shift with them. Now maybe he hasn't earned it, which is why he hasn't made it yet, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that he's played with their top guys and hasn't succeeded. He's played the most with RNH, but he's also been relied on to be their defensive center because someone like Strome wasn't capable of doing so. Strome is very average offensively at best.

Doesn’t matter if he’s not getting top 6 minutes. What you’re failing to understand is he’s playing with Edmonton’s offensive players as his linemates and he still can’t get it done in the offensive zone. There’s a reason why he’s being benched and a healthy scratch in games, because he’s not producing any offensive spark for the team. 

Again, it’s not like he’s getting the Virtanen treatment, where the coaches won’t put him in any offensive situations and playing him with lesser offensive talents on the team.

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Doesn’t matter if he’s not getting top 6 minutes. What you’re failing to understand is he’s playing with Edmonton’s offensive players as his linemates and he still can’t get it done in the offensive zone. There’s a reason why he’s being benched and a healthy scratch in games, because he’s not producing any offensive spark for the team. 

Again, it’s not like he’s getting the Virtanen treatment, where the coaches won’t put him in any offensive situations and playing him with lesser offensive talents on the team.

And what you're failing to understand that because he's gets a few shifts here and there with the top guys doesn't mean he's a regular linemate building chemistry with them. Who knows if they're even on the same lines during practice. He's getting thrown there in hopes of instant chemistry, but he's not getting regular minutes which is the misconception here. McDavid and Draisaitl are playing 20 minutes a night and have their legs under them all game, which occasionally, Puljujarvi is thrown on one or both of their lines with with cold "3rd line" minute legs and expected to just produce. Perhaps Puljujarvi isn't elite talent enough to do so, but that still doesn't mean he was playing with them with any regularity. There's a reason why players always suggest that they want more minutes to be productive, but coaching and management want them to earn it.

He is benched and scratched because he also doesn't have a strong defensive game and they want him to earn his top 6 minutes (see Goldobin).

Again I'm not defending Puljujarvi, I'm not suggesting that he deserves those minutes. All I am saying is that the talked about point that Puljujarvi has played with the best with any regularity is false. But if you want to look back into detail of that site with line combinations, you can see that most of his production (albeit little production) had come when he did play on a line with McDavid, but it's no different than say Goldobin producing with EP and then no one else really and again, would anyone suggest that Goldobin has played with our top guys regularly?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.  It's Deadmonton.  It's like a little town instead of a big city.

I doubt its the city itself, there's really not that much there to get excited about positively or negatively. If the team wasn't a gong show he'd probably be happy to stay. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I doubt its the city itself, there's really not that much there to get excited about positively or negatively. If the team wasn't a gong show he'd probably be happy to stay. 

This.

Most players just want to win. Or at least, winning certainly makes things a lot more tolerable. A ton of players main residence isn’t even in the city they play in. Even those who play in big name cities. These guys get paid a lot and have at least two homes.

If Edmonton was winning and he felt his play was contributing to it, he’d likely have no problem playing there. However, Puljujarvi is 21 and hasn’t seen his development improve since being drafted by them. He definitely owns some of that, but I can’t blame the guy for wanting a change of scenery. Two great examples of players leaving another organization are Max Domi and Dylan Strome. The moment they left Arizona, they started producing. Clearly some organizations are better at development than others. Edmonton is not one of the former.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

This.

Most players just want to win. Or at least, winning certainly makes things a lot more tolerable. A ton of players main residence isn’t even in the city they play in. Even those who play in big name cities. These guys get paid a lot and have at least two homes.

If Edmonton was winning and he felt his play was contributing to it, he’d likely have no problem playing there. However, Puljujarvi is 21 and hasn’t seen his development improve since being drafted by them. He definitely owns some of that, but I can’t blame the guy for wanting a change of scenery. Two great examples of players leaving another organization are Max Domi and Dylan Strome. The moment they left Arizona, they started producing. Clearly some organizations are better at development than others. Edmonton is not one of the former.

the draw for these guys is McDavid, at least for now. He could be playing anywhere and there would be guys wanting to be part of that (even though its been mostly ugly).

3 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'd love to take a chance on this kid.  The Oilers are a joke of an organization and no matter what has happened there,  I dont hold it against Puljujarvi.

I think the rumour of Loui for Lucic + JP were credible, but Loui nixed Edmonton and Friedman says JP wants to go to the US and be anonymous. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/31/2019 at 5:34 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the rumour of Loui for Lucic + JP were credible, but Loui nixed Edmonton and Friedman says JP wants to go to the US and be anonymous. 

Like Edmonton, the Vancouver Canucks would prefer that the player’s desire to play for the organization didn’t even become a question.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, Alflives said:

Pool was put in more checking roles, because the coaches were trying to teach him to play without the puck.  The guy is completely lost without the puck.  

Not to mention why shouldn’t a player start at the bottom and work their way up? Horvat did...it’s not like he was Boeser and exploded off the start and he got his opportunities RNH isn’t a bad place to be either.  I get that some of these guys (NG) are either on a scoring line or not playing - but of the two (Laine is the other) wasn’t he supposedly the more complete player anyways (defensively aware - better two way player) and a bette playmaker?  That’s what pre- draft comparisons suggested. Considering Laine is one of the top goal scorers since he was a rookie, and the two weren’t supposed to be that far apart and are both big boys something is amiss.   Laine hit a wall last year too, after scoring a WNP record one month (something like 17 goals) he became almost non-existant - and he’s also talking about wanting 10 million or he will sit out or some garbage.   Look what their center AHO has managed too.

His toolbox is too tantalizing not to expect more - and EDM is probably guilty of rushing him, especially after watching what Laine did his rookie year (he’s the new Selanne ha ha).    Would definitely take a flier at him - one of Goldobin, Suter, Leivo or even a B level prospect like Lind or maybe Madden.  If he played out like the script (compared to Laine), McDavid would have a solid winger  - a 35-45 guy to play with.  

Instead he’s looks like a failed pick —. Not what they needed and considering what else was available a bit of back luck (Puljajarvi was supposed to go 2/3 remember....anyone in EDMs position would have picked him too). 

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But when your standard of success is the Gretzky/Messier led teams, you’re bound to fail every time.

Hopefully they don’t McTavish Holland into a farce like they’ve been doing with everyone else...

Something fundamentally broken is happening in Edmonton and Holland can surely fix it if he’s given free reign on certain decisions.

And Puljujarvi will go where no one cares; The American South East.

Rather wait two more years and celebrate Podkolzyn’s debut.

Edited by Me_