The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 22, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Anybody got a clip of whatever that pos did to Quinn that got Horvat mad enough to challenge him?

(Need some grist for the mill.)

The guy put Quinn in a headlock & wouldn't let him go.  Bo came in & broke it up & skated Quinn back to the bench.  Bo showed elite Captain skills there:towel:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Darius said:

a moment of silence to think about MDZ, pouliot and gagner who were place holders till better guys came along.., and for their contribution to our draft position.,  

and those hfboards fools thought JB brought those guys here with the intent  to make a playoff run. 

THN recently ranked our defense  the 14th best in the NHL.   Last year we were 26th...it’s the first time in around five years we’ve been in the top 16.   What a difference a year makes / and yes JB is starting to look less of a fool and more of a mastermind the last couple of years .... rough start - and some mistakes made - but he’s pulled a couple rabbits out of his hat .. J.T. Miller was a brilliant move but only with the additions of Benn, Myers, and Ferland.   We’ve got one of the best fourth lines in the league, and actual depth now...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Got a great idea.  Sign Marky, then give Demko a bridge deal.  By the end of the bridge trade one away.  

Why do we have to trade one now.  Yes Seattle, but that is out of our control.  Other than Seattle, what's the fuss atm. 

We don't have to trade one now, I agree, was speaking about before the expansion.

Which is out of our control, but losing a prime asset for nothing may cause some fuss.

If Demko reaches his potential, which he is on trajectory to do so still.

I would keep him and unload Markstrom.

But not yet, if at all.

19 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

Whys that? If Marky continues to play this way, Seattle takes him no doubt

Not necessarily - not if there are younger, cheaper goalies available, plus Vancouver may have to expose someone else that they want more.  We have a ton of great young talent aging in the wine cellar.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This team is really impressing me this year. They've been down goals before and have come back to win games. Determination and character. Love that Bo got his 1st career hattrick, Canucks scored 5 unanswered goals in the 3rd, Markstrom was great again, Quinn Hughes is remarkable. I also really like Jake on Bo's wing. I'm sure it'll be an upbeat flight home for the boys, and they must be feeling pretty confident. Nice that they have a couple of days before they play again. Can't wait for Friday when they play the Caps. One thing I was a little confused watching was on the PP when they had Pettersson on the left side and Brock on the right. IMO, Brock's shot from the left is deadly, the same for Pettersson on the right. Why did they change this?

Because teams were taking that away.

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

THN recently ranked our defense  the 14th best in the NHL.   Last year we were 26th...it’s the first time in around five years we’ve been in the top 16.   What a difference a year makes / and yes JB is starting to look less of a fool and more of a mastermind the last couple of years .... rough start - and some mistakes made - but he’s pulled a couple rabbits out of his hat .. J.T. Miller was a brilliant move but only with the additions of Benn, Myers, and Ferland.   We’ve got one of the best fourth lines in the league, and actual depth now...

And a couple of not bad guys in Utica tearing it up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not if Demko keeps playing and developing like he has.

No way Seattle passes on a young star goalie. You'd have to give Seattle a top you player and expose another star player. Look what happened to Minny. They lost Tuch that way and now he's a budding star power forward. 

It'll be tool late by then. Next year's trade deadline you gotta move Demko if Marky still here. 

If both Demko and Marky are stars no point keeping both. Spend that money elsewhere on a player we need and get some good young prospects and picks back for Demko. 

What about the value of losing a goalie and not someone else off your roster?  Maybe losing Demko means that we get to keep a guy like Gaudette or Juolevi?  Just playing devil's advocate here, I'd hate losing Demko too. 

5 hours ago, apollo said:

This team will have a dynasty this decade.

We need to continue to improve the energy of this fan base. I genuinely believe that we have the most passionate fans and if everyone can get on the same page and expect to see this team do well, then it will.

Positive thoughts and positive energy will only multiply... this is actually scientific.

Why did we choke in 2012? Sure the refs fixed that series but the energy was god awful back then now that I look back on it. Booing Luongo in game 79 or 80 of the season vs the Ducks sealed our fate. Our fans spread garbage energy to our players and we showed the league we had very little class by booing at the time the best goalie in the game. 

So far a lot of positives this year. Hope I see and hear no negative comments for the rest of this decade.

We lost in 2012 because Keith took our best goal scorer out. We were 1 win, 1 OT loss with Danny in the line up. 0-3 without him

Edited by MattJVD
  • Upvote 1

ITSa long season...not easy to play hard every night but thats why you get the big bucks..itt would be good if it kind of spread around who would be the hero for the night...no emotion means no win for canucks..when team gets involved like ive said the rest takes care of itself...simple basic hockey ...play tough but play smart..players need to know when its good time to expose opponents defence..

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure I agree with the bolded. IMO he was being forced to try to buy the Sedins some support, which didn't ever really pan out.

I'm sure JB wanted to pull the pin sooner, but for whatever crazy reason, Aqua wanted butts in seats so JB had to bring in guys that made the team appear to be attempting to stay relevant.

With the kids we've got coming up, I really cant complain about how things shook out because if they didn't, we maybe wouldn't have Petey or Quinn.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Not sure I agree with the bolded. IMO he was being forced to try to buy the Sedins some support, which didn't ever really pan out.

I'm sure JB wanted to pull the pin sooner, but for whatever crazy reason, Aqua wanted butts in seats so JB had to bring in guys that made the team appear to be attempting to stay relevant.

With the kids we've got coming up, I really cant complain about how things shook out because if they didn't, we maybe wouldn't have Petey or Quinn.

No worries I was referring to how the media portrayed him the first few years during the re-tool (wait for the Sedins to finish), not really how I personally view him, sure some mistakes (LE the only big one), his drafting had been very solid though and what he did this summer was a bit step too.   Overall since he got here not a ton of support for what he was doing until Burrows and Hansen were traded, then some props starting coming his way.   Since then the tide has been slowly changing, what happens this year should add to that.   

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

What about the value of losing a goalie and not someone else off your roster?  Maybe losing Demko means that we get to keep a guy like Gaudette or Juolevi?  Just playing devil's advocate here, I'd hate losing Demko too.

Yep.  Only way to keep them both for sure is to protect them - and then we will leave two more skaters exposed.   Hughes not playing enough games was a godsend - (pretty sure we dooln’t have to protect him).

Heres a mock draft:

Example A 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, 1 goalie

Miller EP Boeser

Pearson? Horvat JV

AG

Myers OJ ??

Demko

OR

Example B one goalie and 8 skaters any position 

Miller EP Boeser

Horvat JV ( or AG) 

Myers OJ

Demko Markstrom

At least we have options.  Plus the way our contracts are set up Edler is done, and so is Sutter, Roussel and Tanev as notables.   Some other guys will need to be re-upped before then, maybe Stetcher proves he’s worth saving for example, plus maybe we make a trade before then and have a new guy to protect...no way around it this time we are going to lose someone that’s not too bad, or maybe a guy like Lind who pulls off what Karlsson did.

JBs done a lot of prep already in how he’s staggered the contracts - don’t have to protect a guy who’s not under contract the following year - BUT Seattle has a 48 hour window to sign any free agent before the ED - so these guys (Edler etc) could be picked up.  If it happens that counts as their pick and we wouldn’t lose another player.  It’s unlikely unless a lot of money is thrown at one of these guys, as they won’t get to market - and a lot of them probably have intentions to stay with their team anyways...

edit: upon review I think we do have to protect Hughes...

Edited by IBatch

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Only way to keep them both for sure is to protect them - and then we will leave two more skaters exposed.   Hughes not playing enough games was a godsend - (pretty sure we dooln’t have to protect him).

Heres a mock draft:

Miller EP Boeser

Pearson? Horvat JV

AG

Myers OJ ??

Demko

OR

Miller EP Boeser

Horvat JV ( or AG) 

Myers OJ

Demko Markstrom

At least we have options.  Plus the way our contracts are set up Edler is done, and so is Sutter, Roussel and Tanev as notables.   Some other guys will need to be re-upped before then, maybe Stetcher proves he’s worth saving for example, plus maybe we make a trade before then and have a new guy to protect...no way around it this time we are going to lose someone that’s not too bad, or maybe a guy like Lind who pulls off what Karlsson did.

JBs done a lot of prep already in how he’s staggered the contracts - don’t have to protect a guy who’s not under contract the following year - BUT Seattle has a 48 hour window to sign any free agent before the ED - so these guys (Edler etc) could be picked up.  If it happens that counts as their pick and we wouldn’t lose another player.  It’s unlikely unless a lot of money is thrown at one of these guys, as they won’t get to market - and a lot of them probably have intentions to stay with their team anyways...

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/expansion-plan-projecting-the-vancouver-canucks-protection-list-for-the-2021-expansion-draft

I believe that Hughes is exempt because he didn't play enough games last year.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

We don't have to trade one now, I agree, was speaking about before the expansion.

Which is out of our control, but losing a prime asset for nothing may cause some fuss.

If Demko reaches his potential, which he is on trajectory to do so still.

I would keep him and unload Markstrom.

But not yet, if at all.

With how Markstrom is playing, there is no way JB is going to let him walk without a serious offer.  

Markstrom seems to be a real team guy has finally found success.  I see him wanting to stay.  

Unless we lose one to expansion I don't see an issue.  

IMO the club will likely trade with Seattle to protect both guys atm.  I see Stecher as the likely expansion give away.  

In fact if the club looks like it will lose one to expansion I would rather move Demko for another prospect, pick or to facilitate shedding Erikssons deal.  

Dallas, how about Demko, Stecher and Eriksson for Honka and a cap dump.  

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Heres a mock draft:

Miller EP Boeser

Pearson? Horvat JV

AG

Myers OJ ??

Demko

OR

Miller EP Boeser

Horvat JV ( or AG) 

Myers OJ

Demko Markstrom

Eddie will resign after the expansion draft.  The only way he doesn't is if the Canucks don't offer him a contract.  The guy is going post to post in Vancouver.  Tanev is gone unfortunately. Unless he re ups for a 1 year deal with both sides intending to re up 48 hours after expansion.  

Honestly I could see both guys wanting to stay.  It's more than just the money.  They have invested heavily into this club and played thru all the hard years.  

They may want to be part of the future here, its going to be good.  

7 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Hughes is exempt unless there is some exceptions for being the God send that he is to this team.  

He is the gin to my tonic. 

13 hours ago, kloubek said:

Indeed. I will add that we have the 3rd best goal differential in the league behind only Buffalo (?) and Colorado. We've also played 1 game less than Buffalo.

To me, this is huge. It doesn't really matter if you score a lot of goals if your defense can keep them out. So to me, differential means a lot. It is something that I looked at a lot last year, and despite a lot of 1 goal games lost we still really sucked in this area.

This is the biggest difference from last season.  We are keeping pucks out of our net.  The shot totals are still high, Markstom accounts for alot of it, but the defence is vastly improved which is only going to help. 

Giant killers and a dark horse that should scare teams in the Post Season if they make it.  

IMO the team has the right mental make up for playoff hockey.  

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Eddie will resign after the expansion draft.  The only way he doesn't is if the Canucks don't offer him a contract.  The guy is going post to post in Vancouver.  Tanev is gone unfortunately. Unless he re ups for a 1 year deal with both sides intending to re up 48 hours after expansion.  

Honestly I could see both guys wanting to stay.  It's more than just the money.  They have invested heavily into this club and played thru all the hard years.  

They may want to be part of the future here, its going to be good.  

I think that’s what will happen too - love that Bennings got some contracts up, could see Edler going year to year after and doubt Seattle risks picking him or Tanev or whomever that’s a free agent - it counts as their pick and they could just bolt in the summer anyways.

edit:  the real value is we won’t have to use a spot to protect these guys, if they still have game which is very possible, it’s almost like having an extra slot ...

Edited by IBatch