The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 22, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I wouldn't sit Ferland, I would play him with Bo and Jake and try to get him going. Green isn't going to sit a winger to play Gaud either unless Sutter moves to wing and quite frankly our bottom 2 centers are playing great right now so I don't see that happening. Until the boys lose again it should be status quo barring injuries anyways.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I think he keeps the other team honest and prefer him in the lineup even at low minutes. 

Don't get me wrong, I hope he figures it out and can be a contributor but his presence as a deterrent is known and respected around the league. 

Exactly.  Ferland needs to dress for every game.  He's our nuclear deterrent.  I bet the Leafs would love to have Ferly right about now.  So would other soft teams.   

• Like 1

maybe dumb, but i’ld like to see roussel with bo and pearson. ferland on line 3 with ? ?

then we’ll have a 1st, 2nd and 4th lines. just the 3rd to be determined. 

throw podkolzin and hoglander and lind into that mix, eventually too. i think we’re looking pretty good. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

This team is really impressing me this year. They've been down goals before and have come back to win games. Determination and character. Love that Bo got his 1st career hattrick, Canucks scored 5 unanswered goals in the 3rd, Markstrom was great again, Quinn Hughes is remarkable. I also really like Jake on Bo's wing. I'm sure it'll be an upbeat flight home for the boys, and they must be feeling pretty confident. Nice that they have a couple of days before they play again. Can't wait for Friday when they play the Caps. One thing I was a little confused watching was on the PP when they had Pettersson on the left side and Brock on the right. IMO, Brock's shot from the left is deadly, the same for Pettersson on the right. Why did they change this?

I think they're trying to shake up the PP. Having them in their usual shot positions keep them stationary there and predictable. Putting them in passing positions forces them to move and have looks and eventually they should cycle into their shot positions while moving the PK around to open them up more. I don't know if this is the actual reason, but how I view it. I trust that Brown (who's had top PPs before) actually wants to do something to improve the PP (started 0 for 4 last night, finished 2 for 7, not a bad night for the PP).

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

maybe dumb, but i’ld like to see roussel with bo and pearson. ferland on line 3 with ? ?

then we’ll have a 1st, 2nd and 4th lines. just the 3rd to be determined. 

throw podkolzin and hoglander and lind into that mix, eventually too. i think we’re looking pretty good. 

I keep forgetting about Roussel. Will be interesting to see him in the lineup with Ferland. Roussel brings such a firey, combative edge that will be infectious ... and he can put up points! Can't wait!

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I think he keeps the other team honest and prefer him in the lineup even at low minutes. 

Don't get me wrong, I hope he figures it out and can be a contributor but his presence as a deterrent is known and respected around the league. 

Fair enough. Good point, reyezone. I'd like to see him be a wrecking ball out there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Here's  another idea.

Extend Marky now, by 1 year, so that his UFA status slides to summer of 21.  Have a nod and wink agreement that he wont sign with Seattle, (who get a 3 day start on UFAs) and then sign him as a UFA.  Protect Demko and expose. Bachman in the draft

Works for me.  If we need to do more, how about a 2yr deal, back loaded.  if Seattle takes him, they are gonna pay big cash for his cap hit. 

If he still gets picked up, a year away from Clark will see his stats plummet, and he can come home the following year B)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Here's  another idea.

Extend Marky now, by 1 year, so that his UFA status slides to summer of 21.  Have a nod and wink agreement that he wont sign with Seattle, (who get a 3 day start on UFAs) and then sign him as a UFA.  Protect Demko and expose. Bachman in the draft

It's the clear way to work things around, but if I'm in Marky's shoes, I wouldn't. I'm sure he cares for the team, but at the same time, this might be his last crack at a big contract. If he signs that one year deal and his play drops off or he gets injured, then there goes his opportunity. He has to keep in mind that he could be doing this favour and he could easily be replaced by Demko after that year or in the near future as well. There's just no benefit for Markstrom to do this except for the love of playing in Vancouver, but at the end of the day, Demko could take his job at any time and Marky's time is done here anyway.

I think we simply have to make a decision and stick with it. Commit to Marky and run with the tandem as long as possible and move Demko and hopefully DiPietro/Silovs/Kielly become the next one to take over the reigns (and hope Marky's play doesn't drop off). Or give the confidence to Demko and move Marky while his value is high. The other option is hopefully Marky takes no more than a 4 year deal and hope that Demko is willing to accept the backup role for a couple more years while gradually transitioning to the #1 in the last couple of years of the deal (and if Marky is still on top of his game, assuming he has maybe a limited NTC in his deal, move him for value should Demko prove himself worthy). The hard part is getting through the expansion, but we will have to see what goalies are available. We may be able to sneak Markstrom through if there's a legit #1 already out there for the taking.

I could see Quick being available. Holtby may be available. Martin Jones may be available if SJ needs the cap space and are banking he gets taken (and assuming they have someone else in mind to take over). Other teams might consider this to clear cap space like what Pittsburgh did with Fleury (maybe Montreal tries to get Price to waive his NMC and be exposed as a 34 year old goalie with a 10.5 million cap to clear his cap and put their eggs in Cayden Primeau's basket).

Has anyone been listening to the things J Pat has had to say this season on 1040? I've disliked him as much as anyone over the years, but to me it seems like he's been overwhelmingly positive and honest this season. He hasn't been digging for negativity as much and I give him credit for that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brouhaha said:

Has anyone been listening to the things J Pat has had to say this season on 1040? I've disliked him as much as anyone over the years, but to me it seems like he's been overwhelmingly positive and honest this season. He hasn't been digging for negativity as much and I give him credit for that. 

I have read his TSN articles that pop up on Bleacher Report. I've noticed the same.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Because the team is actually good now.  Why do you expect positivity during 5 years of failed trades, signings and bottom 10 finishes. 

Positivity about the direction?  Guys who claim to be pundits (unlike us) should have seen the positive direction of the roster, rather than only the negative stuff.  If they didn't, then are they really any different than us, or are they just trolling Canuck's fans to generate some sort of popularity?  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Forget those other teams, I've been watching a soft team get batted around here for years and years and years! It's such a pleasure to watch players with some backbone that can actually play and are really effective: Myers, Benn, Beagle, Etc etc. These guys don't get pushed around and I think the team collectively stands a bit taller with Ferk on the bench. 

I see Beagle as the leader of this bunch

nice to see he has some backup now

I know a lot of people loved Dorsett but I always felt his tough stuff was self promoting. He fought to show how tough DD was. To some extent  feel the same about Roussell. 

With Beagle its different, push any team mate and Beagle is into it. That is why I like Jay Beagle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, lmm said:

I see Beagle as the leader of this bunch

nice to see he has some backup now

I know a lot of people loved Dorsett but I always felt his tough stuff was self promoting. He fought to show how tough DD was. To some extent  feel the same about Roussell. 

With Beagle its different, push any team mate and Beagle is into it. That is why I like Jay Beagle.

Beagle leads off the ice too.  He's an older player (to the younger guys) and is in incredible shape.  He knows how to take care of his body, and that must help guys like Jake.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Look who he was playing with!

Also about 5 goals in the 3rd,

Remember when The Islanders scored 5 goals on us in the 3rd in 2014?

We were up 4-2 going into the 3rd, we gave up 5.

Kesler came screeching down the hall into the dressing room, "Why me? Why me? Wwwhhhhhyyy mmmeeee?".

THAT was the moment that the old core fractured. 100% was the beginning of the freefall.

No it was worse. We were up 3-0 after 2 and the Isles scored 7 in the third.

That was a dark time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I like Beagle (probably most of us do) but there is no need to throw Dorsett or Roussell under the bus.

I am not throwing them under the bus.

for me its just a question of using their emotion for the benefit of the team or not.

I like Roussell, but I'd take Jay Beagle ten times out of ten for what he brings and what it means to the team.

I thought this about DD even before Beagle got here, if you were an opposing tough guy you could always count on DD to fight. Even if the Canucks just went up 3-0 in the mid first and the only thing a fight does is change the momentum to the other team. Did you even see Dorsett just skate away?  

to be fair to DD he was the only guy on the team at that time that would back anything up, I doubt he and the Sedins actually got along. Beagle has it easier now.

Edited by lmm

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Having them in their usual shot positions keep them stationary there and predictable

How many goals has Ovie scored from the left hashmark? Every game it seems, same spot, same shot, goals. Nothing wrong with trying something new I suppose, but I thought they were really effective in those spots last year. Not really complaining, the Canucks are still playing great and winning.  

EDIT - I wanted to add, Ovie has a wicked one-timer, something Boeser and Petey don't have (yet). If they could get their shots off quicker, perhaps they would score more, like Ovie.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 1