The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Anybody Else There? (in 1994)

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

After the Canucks lost Game 7 in 1994 and the riot tore the downtown apart, and the city was in poor graces on the international stage, the Canucks had to fly home back to Vancouver after the game, and word got out a little bit about when they were arriving.

So a smallish but notable group of people from all around the GVRD had the same idea and drove out to the airport to provide some positivity, to cheer on the players as their plane landed and they arrived back home and made their way off the plane, to probably crawl into bed with black eyes and ice on their bruises.  To make them feel appreciated for what they had given the city.

But the cops were freaked out after the riot, so they corralled all of these cars into a field where you could just kind of see the player and they could just kind of see the cars if they looked in that direction and squinted.

The charter landed and they made their way off, and something like a mile away, maybe 150 cars with maybe three hundred people started honking and cheering...

And the players kind of looked over like...was that a noise over there?  Shrug.  And got on the bus and that was that.

And everybody kind of looked at each other and shrugged and got in their cars and drove home.

I think only perhaps 300 people and a dozen cops know this even happened.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

After the Canucks lost Game 7 in 1994 and the riot tore the downtown apart, and the city was in poor graces on the international stage, the Canucks had to fly home back to Vancouver after the game, and word got out a little bit about when they were arriving.

So a smallish but notable group of people from all around the GVRD had the same idea and drove out to the airport to provide some positivity, to cheer on the players as their plane landed and they arrived back home and made their way off the plane, to probably crawl into bed with black eyes and ice on their bruises.  To make them feel appreciated for what they had given the city.

But the cops were freaked out after the riot, so they corralled all of these cars into a field where you could just kind of see the player and they could just kind of see the cars if they looked in that direction and squinted.

The charter landed and they made their way off, and something like a mile away, maybe 150 cars with maybe three hundred people started honking and cheering...

And the players kind of looked over like...was that a noise over there?  Shrug.  And got on the bus and that was that.

And everybody kind of looked at each other and shrugged and got in their cars and drove home.

Wasn't even born then.... (just being honest)

Edited by Guest

I was not cheering at the airport but actually knew that people were going to the airport. They were talking about it. There was a buzz among the crowd downtown. I do remember that and people talking about going to the airport and being excited to greet the team.

I was on Robson & Thurlow, pressed against a railing where Banana Republic is today the very moment the riot police marched toward the Robson crowd on Thurlow, beating their shields in full riot gear. I also saw the very moment they launched the tear gas. It was literally right in front of me and played out like slow motion. I ran into the alley and tried to run from the tear gas but it was everywhere. Could barely breathe.

About an hour earlier, I was on Thurlow street just hanging out with friends, watching the wave of people go by on Robson.

It was super crowded and this disheveled looking drunk guy appears in front of me holding a Rangers jersey. He was like, "Dude, do you have a lighter? I want to light this on fire." I laughed out loud and jokingly said, "Man, you're going to need a stick and lighter fluid to get that going!" He just kinda nodded and took off. I forgot about the guy.

10- 15 minutes later, as things were getting more chaotic, the guy suddenly reappears with the Rangers jersey. This time he's actually holding a can of lighter fluid and a hockey stick, and asks, "Hey, do you have a lighter?"

I was floored! Couldn't believe it! I was like  "WTF, man? I was just kidding! Where in the world did you get lighter fluid?" I was stunned. I couldn't believe anyone would have access to lighter fluid that quick in a situation like that. It's not like that area is a mecca of hardware stores. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmm. Interesting story! Reminds me of in '82 when the Canucks came home after starting 0-2 vs the Islanders and the fans cheered them on like crazy.

Of course, I wasn't around in '82 and was only about a year old in 1994.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

there was a huuuuge crowd waiting at the airport, greeting them as I remember, i'm not sure how many people but it was a huge crowd.  It's  unfortunate we didn't win.  It makes me sad actually.  I think in an interview from JIm Robson who confirmed it.

I missed the riot but I was downtown watching game 6 at the Century Plaza bar with friends.  After the game people were spilling out onto the streets from everywhere as the city erupted in an outburst of joy.  The series was tied and our Canucks had a very real chance to win the cup.  Everybody was cheering as we walked down the streets and cars flying Canucks flags (which were new in 94) were cruising the streets.  It was the most fun I had had to that point in this city. 

Nobody writes about what happened after game 6 but this is what brought so many people downtown for game 7 and they were disappointed.  Of course, a few came looking for trouble in the anonymity of a crowd.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I missed the riot but I was downtown watching game 6 at the Century Plaza bar with friends.  After the game people were spilling out onto the streets from everywhere as the city erupted in an outburst of joy.  The series was tied and our Canucks had a very real chance to win the cup.  Everybody was cheering as we walked down the streets and cars flying Canucks flags (which were new in 94) were cruising the streets.  It was the most fun I had had to that point in this city. 

Nobody writes about what happened after game 6 but this is what brought so many people downtown for game 7 and they were disappointed.  Of course, a few came looking for trouble in the anonymity of a crowd.

I was at the Coliseum to watch Game 7 on the Jumbotron with, I suppose, 16,122 other people.  Were any of them you?

I got there late so I was in the front row, which was actually an undesirable seat on this day to crane your neck up above center ice.

Then I had to walk through all the mayhem to get to the Skytrain.  I saw a dude climbing up a pole to try to tightwalk rope across the wire.  I wonder if he made it.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I was at the Coliseum to watch Game 7 on the Jumbotron with, I suppose, 16,122 other people.  Were any of them you?

I got there late so I was in the front row, which was actually an undesirable seat on this day to crane your neck up above center ice.

Then I had to walk through all the mayhem to get to the Skytrain.  I saw a dude climbing up a pole to try to tightwalk rope across the wire.  I wonder if he made it.

Lol, my pole climbing days were behind me by 94....

I watched game 7 at home

a friend & I drive to the coast for game 7, watching it in the Colliseum. There was incredible tension in the air, but mostly positive.. we agreed that if they won, we'd stay for the riot, if they lost, we'd drive home.. a bit naive, I suppose, but we did drive home after the game.. had we known about the airport meeting, we might have stayed for that.. 

20 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

there was a huuuuge crowd waiting at the airport, greeting them as I remember, i'm not sure how many people but it was a huge crowd.  It's  unfortunate we didn't win.  It makes me sad actually.  I think in an interview from JIm Robson who confirmed it.

When I got there, they were diverting us into a damn cornfield.

I remember a couple of days later when there was a fan appreciation at BC Place, and each player was introduced and got to say a few things. I remember Tim Hunter getting the crowd chanting “We want the Cup!”. And the most incredible ovation for Captain Kirk, he stood on stage, arms up, huge smile, soaking it all up.  And Trevor Linden with a gracious speech, acknowledging that REAL FANS don’t riot, and thanking everyone for the support.

The funny thing is, unlike 2011, I think CBC was actually supporting the Canucks!

1Yup.

It was almost a huge street party until someone had to fall off a power line and die. 

We got out of town pretty quickly after that.  All but one guy named Doug.  Doug thought riots were fun.  Doug also missed his ride back to Victoria and walked to Twassen from Granville street downtown. 

The 94' team is still my favourite team in club history.  They were the most exciting team in hockey.  

This team is built like the 94' team with the depth of the 2011 team.