The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could this happen?

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Team A is down by one, Team B brings the puck into team As zone with say 45 seconds left in the game offside but it’s not called.

Team B keeps the puck in team As zone and with a couple seconds left a team A player finally gets the puck and shoots it into his own net.

Of course everyone is like WTF. but the player is smart and has his coach challenge the offside since a goal was scored.

Team A wins the challenge so no goal and the clock is reset at 45 seconds.

As a bonus team A ties it then wins in OT.

• Haha 1

I think a more interesting variation of the scenario is that Team A manages to score into Team B's empty net (It's 6 on 5) and so Team B challenges the goal on the reasoning that their own entry into the zone 40 seconds earlier was offside. So its Team B challenging their own offside to negate Team A's empty net goal

I got my own version of a similar type of Question that I am interested for an answer as well.

Opening face off of the first period of the game:

Team A's center lose the draw completely and did not touch the puck at all. Team B has control of the puck the entire time. Flukey situation, Team B some how scored into their own net. No one on Team A has touched the puck yet at this point of the game, who on Team A gets credit of the goal?

40 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I got my own version of a similar type of Question that I am interested for an answer as well.

Team A's center lose the draw completely and did not touch the puck at all. Team B has control of the puck the entire time. Flukey situation, Team B some how scored into their own net. No one on Team A has touched the puck yet at this point of the game, who on Team A gets credit of the goal?

The goalie

The OP - Pretty sure an own goal counts even if the other team was offside and had 10 skaters on the ice.

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

last  player closest to the puck is awarded the goal  

17 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Team A is down by one, Team B brings the puck into team As zone with say 45 seconds left in the game offside but it’s not called.

Team B keeps the puck in team As zone and with a couple seconds left a team A player finally gets the puck and shoots it into his own net.

Of course everyone is like WTF. but the player is smart and has his coach challenge the offside since a goal was scored.

Team A wins the challenge so no goal and the clock is reset at 45 seconds.

As a bonus team A ties it then wins in OT.

....:picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I think a more interesting variation of the scenario is that Team A manages to score into Team B's empty net (It's 6 on 5) and so Team B challenges the goal on the reasoning that their own entry into the zone 40 seconds earlier was offside. So its Team B challenging their own offside to negate Team A's empty net goal

The offside would be negated once the puck left the zone. You can only challenge the offside if a goal is scored before the puck leaves the zone or the other team touches up.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

23 hours ago, luckylager said:

The goalie

The OP - Pretty sure an own goal counts even if the other team was offside and had 10 skaters on the ice.

Not the way the rules read, if it was offside it wouldn’t count. Anything after the offside entry is null and void. 

Edited by Dumb Nuck

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

No it is not.

If the d team is in possession and skates the puck into their own net on a delayed offside, it's still a goal.

It's gotta be a goal. 

But I don't actually know. Send your question to "ask the ref" or whatever that bit is.

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Yeah and now he edited it but didn't notice he said "bet" instead of "be"

Lol

I missed the bet too.

All recorded for historical reference now. Guess dumbnuck will have to change his handle now, too much shame associated with that moniker.