The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in that moment, thats exactly what he was. There's no way around that, although you seem to be desperate to apologize for him. 

Of course you'll never satisfy everyone, thats not the standard and never has been. You're setting up straw men to avoid responsibility. 

Is George Carlin a racist asshole? Louis CK? Quentin Tarantino? Half of Hollywood? Trudeau - you've gone as far as to call it inappropriate but that's it; what a cowardly cop out. You've got some nerve calling people you don't know anything about racist. But it's easy to sit on a forum and do that so I'm not surprised I guess..

I don't need to set straw men. I deal with facts and logic.. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

seems to happen a lot in sports, doesn't it? small pool of proven winners (or those viewed with the potential) I guess. 

Yep. Even guys that allegedly get handies at Orchids of Asia, are allowed to remain the owner of their team.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is George Carlin a racist asshole? Louis CK? Quentin Tarantino? Half of Hollywood? Trudeau - you've gone as far as to call it inappropriate but that's it; what a cowardly cop out. You've got some nerve calling people you don't know anything about racist. But it's easy to sit on a forum and do that so I'm not surprised I guess..

I don't need to set straw men. I deal with facts and logic.. 

none of those people have anything to do with the Peters incident, try to stay on point.

You're the one desperate to avoid the idea of personal responsibility on these issues. What Peters did was racist. Does that mean he's always a racist? of course not but he has responsibility for that moment. Its a very good example of how racism pops its ugly head up in our culture actually, lots of otherwise good people can and do racist things. Its time we came to terms with that, 

But you seem to be arguing against such personal responsibility, maybe thats something you want to address. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

Who are the ones that are really soft though?  The ones that are calling out racist #@$%s, or the ones that are upset that racist #@$%s are being called out?

I'd say that avoidance of responsibility is one definition of "soft" 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/26/2019 at 7:59 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

There's a lot of people like that around here. 

Take Mexican law, guilty until proven innocent. So we need not be surprised with that thinking. For myself it takes a while to really absorb things fully but now this dude has resigned and written apology letters I'd say there no jumping to conclusions any more. 

The dude is toast.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

none of those people have anything to do with the Peters incident, try to stay on point.

You're the one desperate to avoid the idea of personal responsibility on these issues. What Peters did was racist. Does that mean he's always a racist? of course not but he has responsibility for that moment. Its a very good example of how racism pops its ugly head up in our culture actually, lots of otherwise good people can and do racist things. Its time we came to terms with that, 

But you seem to be arguing against such personal responsibility, maybe thats something you want to address. 

I am on point. Those people all have done the exact same thing you're accusing Peters of. By your own logic they're all racist and should be barred from their respective careers because "that's the responsible" thing to do. Context doesn't matter either apparentl, so we can throw that out the window immediately. I'm not arguing against responsibility. He could've apologized sooner. And 'better' than how he did. However, for many, including yourself, that wouldn't have sufficed for Peters - but it did for Trudeau. Selective demonization. Tell me more about how you're not running a double standard.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Who are the ones that are really soft though?  The ones that are calling out racist #@$%s, or the ones that are upset that racist #@$%s are being called out?

The latter. Almost always, anyway. You'll find they're more mad about being caught then the actual incident itself.

As much as I loathe Calgary they are hockey fans just like us. Lets see and talk about the game right?

Then a blow to the club. A blow that hits the fan.

Remember when the Bertuzzi incident. Watched it happen as many of us did. There was this emotional hit past the shock of what i just watched.

There was the realization the season was lost and we'd not be talking about the whole incident rather than the on ice play. 

I'm sure there's a few Calgary fans feeling that way right now.

The team has struggled this season to meet expectations. Will this galvanize the team? How will a new coach do? It could all be motivation for an upswing in play or it could be

the beginning of the end of the season. Race race is close. Falling several point behind is all it takes in this league now. 

A lot of things can happen.

I'm curious as to what others think about the direction the flames season will go?

With three ex unwanted Oilers I say they are done.

16 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Take Mexican law, guilty until proven innocent. So we need not be surprised with that thinking. For myself it takes a while to really absorb things fully but now this dude has resigned and written apology letters I'd say there no jumping to conclusions any more. 

The dude is toast.

Well, I look at the bigger picture. I look at the content of character and how people behave over the course of their career or whatever scale it is. 

Do I think Bill Peters is a racist piece of garbage? No. There's no history of behavior indicating otherwise. Were his comments regarding Akim' music regrettable? Sure. Should he be fired over such an indiscretion? Certainly not. 

Do I think Trudeau is a racist piece of garbage? No. His character and policies towards minorities and immigrants says otherwise. Was his moments of blackface regrettable? Obviously. Should he resign as PM over that? No.

It's real simple when you're consistent on such things. People around here should learn to try being consistent.. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I am on point. Those people all have done the exact same thing you're accusing Peters of. By your own logic they're all racist and should be barred from their respective careers because "that's the responsible" thing to do. Context doesn't matter either apparentl, so we can throw that out the window immediately. I'm not arguing against responsibility. He could've apologized sooner. And 'better' than how he did. However, for many, including yourself, that wouldn't have sufficed for Peters - but it did for Trudeau. Selective demonization. Tell me more about how you're not running a double standard.

I agree with you on some points, but I think in this matter he had a chance to apologize and change and seemingly did not. After this incident, he then went to Carolina and physically assaulted his players. I think this part is being largely missed here. I think if it was just the racism part, he could've apologized and shown that he had changed after that incident and most people would've been okay with that. It's the fact that he did that, then supposedly got him sent to the ECHL over it(this part isn't entirely proven) and then assaulted players in a different organization after that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well he resigned. There is one other racist in Canada that I hope will follow his lead and quit his job.B)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

nope, thats you saying that, not me. If you took a moment to actually read what I said before popping off you'd notice that. 

You always argue that these issues are part of a larger deterioration of society, etc. or a some lefty plot. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Treliving handled this well. Its a good template for the next time this happens, and no doubt there will be a next time.

Peters can save himself for future work as well if he comes out with an honest statement taking responsibility and regret for his actions. Most reasonable people would be OK with that. 

Lol.

good frkkn luck.

the rage age is armed with gadgets.  The reasonable people just stick to their own now.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Lol.

good frkkn luck.

the rage age is armed with gadgets.  The reasonable people just stick to their own now.

nah, look at the reaction to Trudeau. He went out and faced the music for it, and a lot of groups voiced their disappointment, but also took him at his word in part based on his record of other decent things he's done. There's still a reasonable middle out there, just not on social media. 

Cherry had a similar opportunity but chose not to make a full apology. I think if Don had come out on Sunday morning with a real apology he'd still be on HNIC. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nah, look at the reaction to Trudeau. He went out and faced the music for it, and a lot of groups voiced their disappointment, but also took him at his word in part based on his record of other decent things he's done. There's still a reasonable middle out there, just not on social media. 

Right that’s fair.

but social media is the majority imo.  Now you have guys like dan Carcillo creating threads to destroy Marc Crawford.  I mean really??? The stories surrounding crow are true as backed by players but online witch hunts are no better than mob mentality....it’s just another form of control.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Right that’s fair.

but social media is the majority imo.  Now you have guys like dan Carcillo creating threads to destroy Marc Crawford.  I mean really??? The stories surrounding crow are true as backed by players but online witch hunts are no better than mob mentality....it’s just another form of control.

would anyone publish Carcillo on any other forum tho? social media is basically self publishing. If anything he says is defamatory about Crow he's going to have to answer for it.