The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sean Avery says former Kings coach Marc Crawford kicked him during a game

Rate this topic

smokes

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I know it's Avery, but if true it's still not okay. Him being a douche doesn't make being kicked by a coach alright. 

Understandable? Perhaps. Alright? Nah. 

fair point, but in this case there isn't a coach killing a kids career or using language that everyone knows is wrong. Its also with a guy who really wouldn't be effected by a move like that, he was a douche his entire career. Its not something I'd want a coach to do, but this one's a peg or two down from Aliu. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fair point, but in this case there isn't a coach killing a kids career or using language that everyone knows is wrong. Its also with a guy who really wouldn't be effected by a move like that, he was a douche his entire career. Its not something I'd want a coach to do, but this one's a peg or two down from Aliu. 

It's not even close to being what went down with Peters and Aliu, but it's def not okay if true.

I just disagree with the idea that it'd somehow be okay because of who Avery is and was as a player. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's not even close to being what went down with Peters and Aliu, but it's def not okay if true.

I just disagree with the idea that it'd somehow be okay because of who Avery is and was as a player. 

but he's such a douche bag :lol: but yes, i have to grudgingly agree with you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

#metoo

This is getting crazy. I know hockey is different than regular work, but it's still how these guys make a living. I am a carpenter and concrete finisher and while the trades are completely different than pro sports, there is still a similar culture with young apprentices as there is with hazing rookies, coach/player relations with apprentice /journeymen similarities.

I was belittled, pranked, borderline abused and it made me learn and had a small part in molding me into the tradesman and man I am today. I'm 32 years old now and tldr I manned up and I never filed a grievance with my union rep or whined and complained.

Discrimination abuse and racism doesn't belong anywhere but this is getting out of hand.

• Upvote 3

This is pretty boohoo tbh. Like grow a set man. This isn’t nearly as serious as the other stuff and it was how many years ago? Did this kick in the back really scar you so bad Avery? 

This is totally out of hand. The fact that there’s an investigation now is just... I donno.. getting silly? 

Avery - Once a loser, always a loser 

• Upvote 1

This is starting to get stupid. Crawford did not do anything wrong. A kick in the butt from a coach? If your in sports and you can't handle that, it says more about you than anything else. That kick in the butt was nothing compared to the BS Avery pulled. This is disgraceful.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

This is starting to get stupid. Crawford did not do anything wrong. A kick in the butt from a coach? If your in sports and you can't handle that, it says more about you than anything else. That kick in the butt was nothing compared to the BS Avery pulled. This is disgraceful.

Crawford choked Sopel as a Canuck... 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, smokes said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/brent-sopel-marc-crawford-canucks-coach

It's not just Avery

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Just now, smokes said:

If Crawford did not push Sopel in that way, I highly doubt he would have an NHL career.

Digging deeper, former NHL defenceman and Spittin’ Chiclets co-host Ryan Whitney asked this question: “Is it true he would go up and down the bench and kick guys?”

Sopel replied:

“He kicked me, he choked me, he grabbed the back of my jersey and pulled me back. He attacked guys personally.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Digging deeper, former NHL defenceman and Spittin’ Chiclets co-host Ryan Whitney asked this question: “Is it true he would go up and down the bench and kick guys?”

Sopel replied:

“He kicked me, he choked me, he grabbed the back of my jersey and pulled me back. He attacked guys personally.

It's hockey. Can't take tough love then get off the ice. You can't take it from a coach, how are you going to take the antics of an Avery or a Marchand on the ice?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, smokes said:

It's hockey. Can't take tough love then get off the ice. You can't take it from a coach, how are you going to take the antics of an Avery or a Marchand on the ice?

That's not tough love, that's abuse by someone in a position of power. Coaches at most levels have a fair bit of power in regards to a player's career, especially when the players are young. They're in frequent communication with GM's, ect. Aliu is a great example of what can go wrong when coaches abuse their power. 

If you can't coach someone without physically attacking them or being verbally abusive you probably shouldn't be coaching. Being an a coach doesn't give you free reign to be an asshole to players at any level. This idea that players should have to put up with abuse from fellow professionals because they make more money than the average person is bull$&!#. 

People don't expect perfection from coaches, they're people and they get frustrated. But if you get so frustrated or angry that you resort to attacking people? That's crossing a line.

Going back and forth on the ice isn't the same as having to put up with abuse on a consistent basis. The coach controls playing time which impacts a lot of things like production, trade value, whether you stick on the team which in turn impacts finances. It goes on and on. 

It goes deeper too, more guys are speaking up and I'm glad they are. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1896006

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1895955

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's not tough love, that's abuse by someone in a position of power. Coaches at most levels have a fair bit of power in regards to a player's career, especially when the players are young. They're in frequent communication, ect. Aliu is a great example of what can go wrong when coaches abuse their power. 

If you can't coach someone without physically attacking them or being verbally abusive you probably shouldn't be coaching. Being an a coach doesn't give you free reign to be an asshole to players at any level. This idea that players should have to put up with abuse from fellow professionals because they make more money than the average person is bull$&!#. 

People don't expect perfection from coaches, they're people and they get frustrated. But if you get so frustrated or angry that you resort to attacking people? That's crossing a line.

Going back and forth on the ice isn't the same as having to put up with abuse on a consistent basis. The coach controls playing time which impacts a lot of things like production, trade value, whether you stick on the team which in turn impacts finances. It goes on and on. 

It goes deeper too, more guys are speaking up and I'm glad they are. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1896006

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1895955

This is over ten years ago and things that were accepted back then is different than what is accepted now. Back in my day a kick in the butt from a coach or a lashing from coach, teacher or a boss wasn't such a big deal. We dealt with it and moved on. It's different nowadays where when people get their feelings hurt, they need to go see a psychiatrist.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, smokes said:

This is over ten years ago and things that were accepted back then is different than what is accepted now. Back in my day a kick in the butt from a coach or a lashing from coach, teacher or a boss wasn't such a big deal. We dealt with it and moved on. It's different nowadays where when people get their feelings hurt, they need to go see a psychiatrist.

You say that as if time somehow makes the impact disappear for everyone. Did you even read the Franzen bit? 

So things were different back in your day, fancy that. I'm sure generations prior to yours could say the same thing. Segregation was acceptable at one point, slaves even. Homosexuality was a crime at one point, in some countries it still is. What's socially acceptable changes, you don't have to like it but things change all the same. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1