The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Parity, a look at this Canucks season based simply on players Pts and how they stack up against league Parity.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

I was recently going through the Canuck players stats, and how they would stack up against a system where all things where truly equal. Here is just some fun findings that I noticed, and I will share what criteria I used  to rank the Canuck players.

Based purely on pts I started to wonder where each player on the Canucks would rank from, Forwards 1 through 12 and Defenceman 1 through 6. Using 31 teams the math goes simply like this a #1 forward would be ranked 1 though 31, a # 2 forward would rank 32 though 62. The math goes 31*1=31 31*2=62 31*3=93 all the way up to 31*12=372 and for defenceman up to 31*6= 186. 

First column is name of player 2nd column their current rank in points and 3rd column is there forward or Defence rank 

As of Game 42 for Canucks

Forwards only,

Petterson, 14            #1

Miller, Tied for 22      #1  looks to me he might be worth the price Benning payed

Boeser, Tied for 27   #1

Horvat, tied for 42         #2

Pearson, tied for 80      #2

Virtanen, tied for 118    #4

Leivo,  Tied for 168       #6

Gaudette, Tied for 181   #6

Sutter,  Tied for 320       #11   has played 22 of 42 games 

Roussel, Tied 339    #11     has played 14 of 42

Ferland, Tied 366     # 12    Has played  14 of 42

Schaller, Tied 380    # 13    Has played 40 of 42

Eriksson, Tied 380   #13     Has played 23 of 42

Beagle, Tied 400     # 13     Has played 33 of 42

Defence only,

Hughes, Tied for 9th  #1

Edler,     Tied for 43   #2

Myers,    Tied for 70  #3

Tanev,     Tied for 85  #3

Stecher,   Tied for 131 #5

Benn,       Tied for 149 #5

Fantenberg, Tied 203  #7  Has played 15 of 42

Starting with defence I would come to the conclusion that the Canucks have a very balanced D. I would make an argument that with more playing time, Stecher could easily be a #4 even a low 3rd. I would also argue that Benn and Fantenberg are interchangeable. If this is true The Canucks could handle a major injury and have the depth to cover 1 defenceman not Named Hughes.

On forward, first what I consider an interesting Fact, Jake Virtanen is currently 11th in time on ice per game played @ 12:19 mins almost 3 mins less then Leivo was before he got injured 15:01. Prior to Leivo Getting injured Jake had Zero powerplay time. Virtanen Powerplay goals 3, powerplay points 5. Leivo Powerplay goals 0, Powerplay points 5. The Last Jake fact 2nd in Even strenght Goals 9, Petterson is 1st with 13, Miller, Pearson, Boeser tied for 3rd with 8 each. Leivo 4th at 7 goals. All in all I would say Jake is proving when given the chance he can handle a bigger role. 

2nd the perception, of a top 6 forward I believe is very skewed in hockey fans. if 186 or greater player is a top 6 forward 31*6=186 then currently any player with 18ish pts (It's about the Half way point for most teams) right now is a top 6 forward. 18*2 is 36 pts for a lower end top 6 forward. I believe most people would say 50 pts would qualify a player as a second line Player.At this point of the season a player would require 25ish points. Currently players 108 to 117 have 25 points. Players 94-124 would be a #4 player in the league actual currently 25pts would make you a top half of the #4 players in the league. Makes me wonder who Benning is thinking of acquiring when he says he wants another top 6 forward. Looking through the list of guys with 25 pts I just don't see a team giving one of those guys up. Which begs the question is a 18pt player currently better then what the Canucks have now? 

The Last point I'd like to make before I pass it to you guys for comment is, the look of our lineup if the League had true parity,

Line 1

Horvat, Petterson insert player 62-93 a #3         That's right no Miller no Boeser

Line 2

Virtanen Gaudette  Insert a #5 124-155           No Leivo 

Line 3

Insert a #7, #8, and #9   LOL  Sutter Roussel and Ferland could be without injuries

Line 4

Insert #10 #11 #12  Eriksson if he wasn't scratched so many games.  Beagle and Schaller don't make the cut.

Disclaimer:

I am well aware this type of stat tracking has it's flaws, intangibles are not accounted for Injuries decrease point count (however all teams have injuries and this can show depth of a team). Furthermore, time on ice can also reveal a lot not accounted in this method, as I have pointed out with Virtanen, Leivo and a little with Stecher. Plus the team a player is playing for can have major changes in point totals Miller being a prime example.

Now its all your guys, very interested in hearing what you guys think, I'm sure I have left out a ton.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Canucks have 3 players in the top 30 for scoring. True parity would suggest a team should only have 1 player in the top 31.

I get what you're throwing down here. But of course it doesn't include intangibles which can make a 40 point player much more valuable to a team than a 60 point player

I dont think parity will ever be honest in the league. But having a 2 point game system it gives the illusion that teams do better than they perform

Either way, what you've shown is that the current roster gives a lot of merit to Benning a ability to assemble a team

As much as I've been vocal about Green not being good enough, it's nice to see this win streak and turn around mid season. As well as players seemingly advancing their skills

Canucks have 3 players in the top 30 for scoring. True parity would suggest a team should only have 1 player in the top 31.

I get what you're throwing down here. But of course it doesn't include intangibles which can make a 40 point player much more valuable to a team than a 60 point player

I dont think parity will ever be honest in the league. But having a 2 point game system it gives the illusion that teams do better than they perform

Either way, what you've shown is that the current roster gives a lot of merit to Benning a ability to assemble a team

As much as I've been vocal about Green not being good enough, it's nice to see this win streak and turn around mid season. As well as players seemingly advancing their skills

Your stats support what I have said before in that Jake should be playing in the top 6 and thankfully he's finally playing on the 2nd PP Unit. The odd time on the #1 PP would not hurt either.

As his point production suggests, if he had more ice time, he should be able to produce more.

I understand balancing the lines but I think the team benefits overall if he is on the ice as opposed to sitting on the bench with the plugs.

His style of play will help tremendously in the playoffs and I wish he was playing alongside Bo instead of LE.

Bo usually plays against the oppositions top lines and Jake does a much better job along the boards and using his size to get possession and maintain possession of the puck. An attribute which would help Bo tremendously. Not to mention being much more of a scoring threat then Mr. Ericksson.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Your stats support what I have said before in that Jake should be playing in the top 6 and thankfully he's finally playing on the 2nd PP Unit. The odd time on the #1 PP would not hurt either.

As his point production suggests, if he had more ice time, he should be able to produce more.

I understand balancing the lines but I think the team benefits overall if he is on the ice as opposed to sitting on the bench with the plugs.

His style of play will help tremendously in the playoffs and I wish he was playing alongside Bo instead of LE.

Bo usually plays against the oppositions top lines and Jake does a much better job along the boards and using his size to get possession and maintain possession of the puck. An attribute which would help Bo tremendously. Not to mention being much more of a scoring threat then Mr. Ericksson.

Can't really complain with the results having LE on the second line lately - wouldn't say JV is a better defensive option really but definitely agree he's a better scoring threat.  He's one of our best 5 x 5 producers per 60 - the fact that he's on pace for 20 goals playing 12-13 minutes on average says a lot.   His ice time is going up now that he's getting 2nd unit time and isn't on the 4th line ... 

At some point that's going to be his spot permanently-might as well rip the bandaid off and do it (second line).... then again I'm not the coach and why rock the boat right now...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I think Jake would have been put back there too by now if he and Gaudette weren’t playing so well before and after Rous came back. We’d have a way better 2nd line but a lot worse of a third, maybe? Loui might still do alright back down to the third, overall I’d love to see Jake with Bo 

Interesting idea. Yeah, a bit convoluted, but the concept is interesting.

Obviously this is only relevant from an offensive standpoint, but I do wonder how other teams would stack up. Can't really take this data without putting it into context. I have a feeling that all of this would just match up to goals for per team....

If I follow, #1-3 forwards would all be considered top lines, so the fact that we have 5 players ranked #1-3 means that we basically have league equivalent of two top lines. Powerplay numbers are going to skew this significantly of course, since many of the points for these players came on the powerplay, and that doesn't show top-line status either way.

Looking solely at this information, we might want to say that the Canucks are a really good offensive team, and that our troubles lie elsewhere. Letting in 9 goals last game also points to that idea. Subtly, only. But having two top lines who can score doesn't even mean you have two top lines. Racking up goals is unimportant if you don't consider the timing of those goals, the line's forecheck, possession, etc.

So yeah, your post suggests we have a lot of top scorers, but I'd be curious to see what similar data for other teams look like and see how that relates to standings.

Edited by We Are All Cucks