The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

And bo has fought in the past too. 

Y'all need to stop calling out players. This is a team mentality problem.

I think it starts with the coach and his orders. It's odd because Green did have a few bouts in his day. I just checked and he actually fought Cloutier in 2003 lol

So, I wonder why he isn't more assertive when addressing the head-hunting issue with Pettersson. Is he afraid to take a penalty? That seems like a silly concern, from a team with a pretty good PK. I think the bigger concern is being the rest of the league's B*tch.

6 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

AD And LIntention matters. I don't play play against the guy, the Canucks do.  It's up to them to determine how the guy plays.  I'm guessing Gryz isn't known for taking cheap shots.

So thats why I take issue for fans wanting payback.  Most have no clue what the read is on the ice.  

No clue?  In a lot of ways fans watching have a way better idea of what happened- replays and angles and talking heads make it easier for us.  Case in point EPs takedown by Matheson.  Nobody saw it - well one player did I won't name names but what a f!@king coward.   I watched EPs injury from half way up the stands live in MTL and he absolutely had intent - accidentally on purpose to the point of blatantcy.   Kut(what ever the f!ck your name is) was so smug you could feel it.   I was so excited to see EP I didn't take my eyes of him the entire game - if I recorded what I saw from that angle it was just ridiculously purposefull.   Not the only one who felt that way, Ken Campbell wrote and article on the lack of respect currently in the league and used EP MTL injury as an example of a "subtle UFC like takedown with intent to injure".  And he's anti-goon (not anti-enforcer so much - there is a difference) and questions the league ability to fill the void.  As an aside he recently wrote an article heavily criticizing Parros filling that role - and is heavily in favour of getting someone with zero skin in it to do that job.  Parros has been wildly inconsistent - making examples of teams and guys he used to play with to show the world he's impartial (which of course he isn't)... Wilsons suspension was probably the stupidest one in history last year too - at least the appeal worked - not really because of how long it took.  

The league needs to get a nerd in there to do that job.   All previous guys are way too connected to the NHL and certain teams and they've done a terrible job for the most part. 

Doubt the refs can ever get things right- they haven't in 100 years - and we get away with just as much as we don't - don't see much about that on this site mostly victim BS.    Maybe a real impartial party running the discipline will help a BIT.   But not nearly as much as one tough SOB that's willing to follow the code and take care of his team.  It's worked for decades - a fantastic (literally FAN-tastic) as far as entertainment value goes - and is that's really what it's about right?

Milbury was a bad GM , but he was spot on predicting the future - hockey has pansified.  Or gone through a "pansification" cycle on grassroots level now with time gone since the "death of the enforcer"....Used to be fringe players would literally fight their way into the league.   Now it's trophies for everyone growing up etc etc.   Thank god the role of an enforcer is bred right into small groups and all cultures and will never go away (if you've watched the video you know what I'm talking about)..  

The enforcer isn't dead - dead.  It's hibernating waiting for ONE GM to re-start the arms race.  Won't be as easy to find the guys as it used to be - but they are around and they won't be pretenders just trying to make the NHL (Sestito - sorry but yeah).    Every group has one - and they are critical to society.  Many become cops or soldiers.  Others just watch over whatever group of they are in.  Dorsett had  this in spades.  So did Walker, so did Odjick.  Brashear...well he was really good at fighting, like Parros just pretended, calculated because of the money more then anything... that's my rant for today...but yeah as a fan I have a clue.  So do you.  Yes we aren't playing the game - so get your post.   Just think as stakeholders we have a say too and this is one thing that is definitely wrong with the game right now.  It's not as good as it could be ....

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Intention matters. I don't play play against the guy, the Canucks do.  It's up to them to determine how the guy plays.  I'm guessing Gryz isn't known for taking cheap shots.

So thats why I take issue for fans wanting payback.  Most have no clue what the read is on the ice.  

Simply put:

you don’t get to hit a franchise player like that with no response received be it to the hitter or a star player team mate.

late = dirty imo.

call it what you want.

31 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Simply put:

you don’t get to hit a franchise player like that with no response received be it to the hitter or a star player team mate.

late = dirty imo.

call it what you want.

A late but not intentionally dirty hit isnt going to rile guys up.  EP doesnt need overly concerned mothers on the ice.  You take a #.  If guys get a reputation that plays into it.  

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No clue?  In a lot of ways fans watching have a way better idea of what happened- replays and angles and talking heads make it easier for us.  

please dont try to over rationalize things.  I get as fans there is a very active interest in what happens, but sometimes it is very easy to, what is the saying, "make a mountain out of a molehill"

On 2/4/2020 at 11:29 PM, Law of Goalies said:

Wait..didn't we have like 27 hits today compared to Boston's 29 hits? For what it's worth, Virtanen and Pearson led the way with 4 hits

Im refering to hits that actually make the oppostion worried . Actually following through. Alot of pearsons hits seem awkward as to were he looks like he gets the worst of it. Motte hits with his whole body, not with an extended arms. Jake has the potential to rock a guy or 2, would have been nice if he took Grzelcyk's number for a 2nd or 3rd period fore check. Respect from other players is gained by sticking up for teammates more so than skating away and hoping to get a PP goal.

21 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

please dont try to over rationalize things.  I get as fans there is a very active interest in what happens, but sometimes it is very easy to, what is the saying, "make a mountain out of a molehill"

Please don't take one paragraph of my post and reply to that.  It's a pet peeve of mine - if you read to the bottom I also complimented you as a fan and as a stakeholder.   The mountain I was referring too is what is wrong with the game right now - it used to be a lot better. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Please don't take one paragraph of my post and reply to that.  It's a pet peeve of mine - if you read to the bottom I also complimented you as a fan and as a stakeholder.   The mountain I was referring too is what is wrong with the game right now - it used to be a lot better. 

Sorry that it is your pet peeve, but my response covers imo the point at issue.  You said in some ways fans have a better perspective than players on the ice.  I dont know if your justification really speaks to that though, in terms of what deserves 'push back.'  I apologize if you wanted me to provide more reasoning.

The stuff about enforcers I didnt comment on because it wasnt really the narrow point I was addressing. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Amen.   Adding Miller was necessary,  and I can understand why JB signed Ferland also - really too bad that one hasn't worked out (yet).   Pearson and Leivo both have some size and are well balanced guys too.  

Why is Boston so tough?  How can Marchand get away with his antics - really almost Cook or Torres like in riding and going over the edge?  Because they have a 6'9" behemoth 43ish old top 100 player all-time with a history or destroying guys while barely breaking a sweat.  He himself had admitted several times that he holds back when he fights because he doesnt want to hurt guys.  I'd bet my bank account that the "big bad Bruins" and there's swagger goes down the toilet as soon as he retires.   Who's going to be scary then?  Debrusk?  Well maybe if he had his Dads physique and used it.   The will become as soft as most other teams.

Personally I think once all this concussion stuff is done - and a GM decides they've seen enough, they will ice a real policeman.   Reaves (the consensus heavyweight right now) wouldn't crack the top 25 fighters back in 1994.  And that wasn't even the peak of their reign yet.   Most enforcers back then would have fed him and Wilson their lunch.   There was 50 or so enforcers back then in a much smaller league - plus at least that number that could play and fight.  Guys like May, Clark, Stevens and Stevens, Mommesso, Tochett, Neely etc. 

It's really a shame.   The game isn't as fun to watch anymore / sure it's a bit faster (not by much - nobody including McDavid has beat Garnters old record - now they get to start moving before the clock even starts - stupid) but it's lost part of its heart.   Why can't Horvat send a message?  Scared of losing? Who cares.   Same with JV, Miller, or anyone - anyone that's on the ice when the dirty stuff happens.  Bring up McEwen and if he won't do it find someone that will.   What happened to power forwards in the game too?  Lose their jam?  How many truly even exist in the league anymore ... Wilson?  Milbf

All true amigo... all true +1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 9:00 AM, yes we can nucks said:

Why does anyone have to be blamed after any loss? For cripes sakes the Nucks are 7-2-1 in their last 10. Last night was the first time in 7 games they failed to gain a point.  They were playing their 3rd game in 4 days...on the road...a challenge for any team. They were tired. I'm not blaming them. Games and efforts like this happen.  I'm not expecting a win every game.  I'm sick of the criticism and handwringing when we don't. Let's criticize when it's deserved.  As someone said it's a throwaway. On to the next one.

I'd be worried if the lack of effort and pushback became a habit. But nothing in the team's play and results in the last couple months indicate that. 

We ARE still a good team in spite of a loss to the Bruins.  As Deb said, let's see how we do when we are fresh and in our barn.  Last night was no measuring stick.

What did I tell ya!!!