The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Look at Calvert sticking up for his teammate after a clean hit. Fought Kassian, knew he was going to lose just happened to be the closest guy near the play.

So what you’re saying is after a clean body check (which is still legal in the nhl) that someone should  fight the guy that legally hit him?!!?!?  Have you ever even played the game?!??

• Wat 1

15 minutes ago, Danuck said:

So what you’re saying is after a clean body check (which is still legal in the nhl) that someone should  fight the guy that legally hit him?!!?!?  Have you ever even played the game?!??

Never said that once?

Maybe learn to read.

Edited by J-23
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

(intangibles)

Work hard - always - in/on all parts of the game.

Practice a standard, push that standard.  Question himself first - accountability starts there.

Pull for his team-mates, help them make themselves better.  Recognize that they make him better. 

Don't always "lead".  Allow others to 'lead'.  Don't be threatened by the strength of others, don't waste time or energy in 'relativism' in that sense / measuring oneself, needing to 'lead.'  Receive leadership.  Don't 'possess' the captaincy.  Be a captain.   No player is always 'the leader '-  believing so is not necessarily leadership (it's ego/title/status).  The key (imo) is to empower.  No player is more or less important than another - every player can make the difference.

Build the team.  It's not your team, it's the team.

Be like Linden.  Don't be like Messier.:bigblush:

Damn.... That does take a special person doesn’t it

If I understand that right then Bo needs to be like Bo Horvat no?

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 2

Just saw the very late hit on Petey for the first time.

The league is so corrupt and it seems no one even tries to hide it anymore.

We need a goon.  I don't even care if he can't skate...just slide him out there when needed.  I am so tired of teams taking liberties with our guys...Petey in particular.  He's not even expecting someone to do battle for him...but he deserves it.

Piece of garbage Bruins' players...dirty as their dressing room walls.

Buy a vowel, Grzelcyk you piece of crap.  Grrrr.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

I never said anything about whining to the refs. Just talk to them and tell them that $&!# shouldn’t be happening. Canucks have never had any respect in the league. Look at when Matheson body slammed Petey and we did nothing. Teams know how soft we play and they take advantage. We are blinded by the wins we have accumulated but we still get out shot, out hit, and or defence is still atrocious. I’ll say it again, this team needs to get tough. And not dirty tough, just play hard hitting hockey. 

no, I said whining.

As soon as Bo got the C he started whining about penalties he had earned and was called for.

That is not what we need to see from our captain and it is certainly not what the refs are going to react positively to.

It was a side of Bo I had never seen before.

To his credit he has realed it in since December or January.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, lmm said:

no, I said whining.

As soon as Bo got the C he started whining about penalties he had earned and was called for.

That is not what we need to see from our captain and it is certainly not what the refs are going to react positively to.

It was a side of Bo I had never seen before.

To his credit he has realed it in since December or January.

I agree, gotten better as the year has gone along though. January felt like the Bo we’ve seen in the past.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, cuporbust said:

Horrible. Not one single Canuck with even close to an acceptable performance (aside from Jacob).  Worst game of the year if Markstrom is not in net. Absolute embarrassment. Starting to think we would be lucky to be at .500 without the goaltending we have been getting . 

Your just starting to think that now? Lol 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

This literally happens every season where fans whine about the Canucks not gooning it up.

Im all for sticking up for players if the timing is right. But the idea that we’re going to send a tough guy out to chase around Gryzlek all game is just silly.

The game has changed, better get used to it.

the game hasn't changed that much, most teams stick up for their players,  happens every game.  but it seems when one of our players are hit  and injured everyone says maybe they didn't see it. well was it just Petey on the ice by himself?   I am not saying our player has to fight , but at least  they should  go out and give legal  hard checks, just send a message 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Ferland was supposed to be the guy but sadly I dont think he's ever gonna live up to those expectations with his concussion history. So what are we left with? No one wants to step up and even throw a legal hit in response. Maybe Petey should take things in his own hands ala Bure and deliver a nasty elbow or break a stick over a player next time they do him dirty. You can see from his latest interview, he's not happy and rightfully so. Kid puts his whole heart into this team and whenever he takes a dirty shot (we're talking about dirty plays on him, not when he gets hit clean as that's part of the game) nobody seems to care. They all just look around dumbfounded or fall back on the tiresome excuse of "we didn't see what happened" despite there being ipads available for every play in the game

This soft reputation will be the end of us.

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

the game hasn't changed that much, most teams stick up for their players,  happens every game.  but it seems when one of our players are hit  and injured everyone says maybe they didn't see it. well was it just Petey on the ice by himself?   I am not saying our player has to fight , but at least  they should  go out and give legal  hard checks, just send a message 

I keep telling people Virtanen smoked him twice and nailed him in the back. Next shift. I don’t know why anyone else didn’t see that.

• Like 1

Also nobody said they didn’t see the hit, Green was clearly upset. He never shows any emotion or give the media any hint of what he’s thinking but yesterday it was fairly emotional and that tells me he’s pissed.

Sure no one fought Matt Gryz “ah whatever” but Virtanen laid too big Hits on him. Next shift. If ya all didn’t see that maybe check your iPads 

Literally one time they said they didn’t see it in Florida, One time! A second time I can’t remember which game. Which Green corrected himself.

I understand the frustration and I’m mad too but stop with the FALSE NARRATIVE

Edited by Devron44

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Also nobody said they didn’t see the hit, Green was clearly upset. He never shows any emotion or give the media any hint of what he’s thinking but yesterday it was fairly emotional and that tells me he’s pissed.

Sure no one fought Matt Gryz “ah whatever” but Virtanen laid you big Hits on him.

Literally one time they said they didn’t see it in Florida, One time! A second time I can’t remember which game. Which Green corrected himself.

I understand the frustration and I’m mad too but stop with the FALSE NARRITIVE

Thats the whole point... Green gets fired up after the game is over when it doesn't matter. There was zero fire from the team or from him when it actually mattered and it's becoming a reoccurring theme during his tenure. He expects the league and the refs will do the right thing and protect players... He's got to be the most naive coach in the league. It's a protect yourself league, always has been. The sooner he realizes that, the better off this team will be and the safer our young stars will be.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Thats the whole point... Green gets fired up after the game is over when it doesn't matter. There was zero fire from the team or from him when it actually mattered and it's becoming a reoccurring theme during his tenure. He expects the league and the refs will do the right thing and protect players... He's got to be the most naive coach in the league. It's a protect yourself league, always has been. The sooner he realizes that, the better off this team will be and the safer our young stars will be.

I just finished saying Virtanen did stick up for Petey and send a message. Didn’t see anything else happen to Petey after that did you? It’s fake news 

Thats the first time I’ve ever seen Green fired up after a game btw 

Edited by Devron44

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

This literally happens every season where fans whine about the Canucks not gooning it up.

Im all for sticking up for players if the timing is right. But the idea that we’re going to send a tough guy out to chase around Gryzlek all game is just silly.

The game has changed, better get used to it.

The Canucks better be prepared for cheapshots, dirty (after the play) hits on Pettersson and Quinn in the playoffs.  So sad they don't have anybody to do the same to the opposition star players.  I read Gino was so mad that the Bruins manhandled the Canucks in the 2011 SC finals.  Shane O'Brien said he would have made a difference in that series. 

38 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Ferland was supposed to be the guy but sadly I dont think he's ever gonna live up to those expectations with his concussion history.

Was he really known as an enforcer type though?  Guy threw good hits (easier when the refs swallow their whistles on charging infraction like they did in our playoff series with the Lames when Ferland was given the immunity idol on late hits).  Sounds like he was more a Torres type BUT with more skill to play up and down the lineup.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Was he really known as an enforcer type though?  Guy threw good hits (easier when the refs swallow their whistles on charging infraction like they did in our playoff series with the Lames when Ferland was given the immunity idol on late hits).  Sounds like he was more a Torres type BUT with more skill to play up and down the lineup.

Pretty sure Ferland could throw down with the best of them. He never was shy to drop the gloves.

Even without him fighting, his ferocious hits would surely be welcome. I just don't think he'll be able to play that way anymore sadly.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kushman said:

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.u4.jpg

Lmao.  Looks like u completely missed the context of my post as well.  Other than it being a missed interference call, no one cares.  It's a contact sport. Its competitive.  Petey will be just fine, as long as the refs get the calls right.

Also FTR, I competed as an amateur boxer for 10+ years. Provincial tournies etc.  Loved it when I got to train/work with the mma guys from other gyms