The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So stop when? Right now? How are we going to live?

(And how does this stop other suppliers from just taking our piece of the pie & continuing the pollution?) 

If not stop now.... at least stop new production. Yes, absolutely. 

Slowing down production and investing in Green tech. Yes..  Yes and YES>

Hopefully keep as much of the tar sands and LNG in the ground if possible ... where it belongs.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Switching from coal to natural gas in China WILL reduce climate change; it's just not using the method you prefer.  China will be able to get natural gas from somewhere else just fine without us.

Yes. BC LNG is compressed with hydro power so it is very clean.

8 minutes ago, CarolK said:

Yes. BC LNG is compressed with hydro power so it is very clean.

Folks on the ground told me stories of their lives turned upside-down. I’ve had my share of bad neighbours before, but these fracking companies take the cake. Constant industrial noise from machinery, bright orange flames above flare stacks lighting up the horizon, the smell of poisonous gas prompting abrupt evacuations — and everywhere residents are afraid to speak out.

Long-term effects are even more worrisome. Little research has been done on the cumulative health impacts of fracking in the region, but doctors report bizarre incidences of rare cancers and scarring of the lungs with no clear cause. One community health researcher found evidence of benzene contamination in people. Benzene, a known carcinogen, was found to be 3.5 times higher in pregnant women who lived close to fracking sites and six times higher if those women were Indigenous.

Earlier this spring, drought conditions linked to warming temperatures forced the BC Oil and Gas Commission to suspend water withdrawals for fracking companies in the northeast. These operations use an astonishing 550,000 water trucks worth of the dwindling resource each year. Much of that water eventually ends up deep underground, leaving local wetlands and rivers running dry and the land parched.

While the industry is already suffering from climate change, it continues to make the problem worse. Methane leaks from fracking operations are the key contributor to an alarming spike in levels of the highly potent greenhouse gas in the atmosphere. And all it takes is one look at the mammoth flare stacks dotting the horizon in the Peace region to see for yourself the damage fracking does to the climate.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/08/13/opinion/british-columbias-dirty-natural-gas-secret

Fracked gas is not part of the clean energy transition. It is as bad as coal. Recent research suggests that methane emissions from fracking are at least 2.5 times higher than what the province estimates and that almost half of BC’s active wells are emitting methane-rich plumes. NASA recently attributed the global increase of the powerful greenhouse gas methane to the oil and gas industry. Methane is 84 times more powerful than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas. Methane leakage from fracking wells makes the use of gas as bad as coal for the climate.

https://sierraclub.bc.ca/no-more-climate-denial-the-hard-truth-on-lng/

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How nice opinion piece followed by Sierra club. Nighty night folks, let's see how many people lose their jobs tomorrow. 

In 2018, the World Bank estimated that three regions (Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa, and Southeast Asia) will generate 143 million more climate migrants by 2050.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-climate-crisis-migration-and-refugees/

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If not stop now.... at least stop new production. Yes, absolutely. 

Slowing down production and investing in Green tech. Yes..  Yes and YES>

Hopefully keep as much of the tar sands and LNG in the ground if possible ... where it belongs.

So.. First off, stopping or slowing down our 'new production' (supply) still doesn't make the demand disappear. 

Secondly, you need the resources to invest. So we are going to shrink our resources, while simultaneously demanding more resources for investment? How are we going to make that work?

(The second part is why these projects should've already went ahead)

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Folks on the ground told me stories of their lives turned upside-down. I’ve had my share of bad neighbours before, but these fracking companies take the cake. Constant industrial noise from machinery, bright orange flames above flare stacks lighting up the horizon, the smell of poisonous gas prompting abrupt evacuations — and everywhere residents are afraid to speak out.

Long-term effects are even more worrisome. Little research has been done on the cumulative health impacts of fracking in the region, but doctors report bizarre incidences of rare cancers and scarring of the lungs with no clear cause. One community health researcher found evidence of benzene contamination in people. Benzene, a known carcinogen, was found to be 3.5 times higher in pregnant women who lived close to fracking sites and six times higher if those women were Indigenous.

Earlier this spring, drought conditions linked to warming temperatures forced the BC Oil and Gas Commission to suspend water withdrawals for fracking companies in the northeast. These operations use an astonishing 550,000 water trucks worth of the dwindling resource each year. Much of that water eventually ends up deep underground, leaving local wetlands and rivers running dry and the land parched.

While the industry is already suffering from climate change, it continues to make the problem worse. Methane leaks from fracking operations are the key contributor to an alarming spike in levels of the highly potent greenhouse gas in the atmosphere. And all it takes is one look at the mammoth flare stacks dotting the horizon in the Peace region to see for yourself the damage fracking does to the climate.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/08/13/opinion/british-columbias-dirty-natural-gas-secret

I wonder if there is anyone from the area who would back up the claims in the article. The people I know up there want more development not less. I think they'd say the article is a fantasy of the extinction rebellion. Flaring in BC is the most regulated in the world, way more than in the US and Russia.  I've been fishing a lot in that area, it's beautiful  and crazy wild. The article should have shown some pics. 

Edited by CarolK
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Thanks for the links, goalie13.  But I've read through them and I can't find any reference to a plebiscite that took place among the Wet'suwet'en in which 80% of the people favoured the pipeline.  And that was the assertion I was questioning.

There is a reference to one band, the Witset First Nation, in which a majority voted in favour of the project.  But that's a far cry from the claim that 80% of the Wet'suwet'en voted in favour of the pipeline.

I think that IF such a plebiscite took place and IF 80% of the We'suewt'en voted in favour of the pipeline, that would be. obviously, a very important fact in this discussion.  Probably a determining fact.  But IS it a fact?  This situation is confusing enough without made up assertions being thrown into the mix as facts.  I don't know if this particular assertion is made up or not but I have yet to find any reliable source for it.

1 hour ago, CarolK said:

I wonder if there is anyone from the area who would back up the claims in the article. The people I know up there want more development not less. I think they'd say the article is a fantasy of the extinction rebellion. Flaring in BC is the most regulated in the world, way more than in the US and Russia.  I've been fishing a lot in that area, it's beautiful  and crazy wild. The article should have shown some pics. 

If you read the bio on the person that wrote the article hes not exactly in favour of energy development.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They're planning to block the Commercial and Broadway Skytrain station today at 5 pm.

Very busy spot for commuters going home. Could be fist fights.

Maybe the police should just stay away, and let the good citizens pummel the lazy, loser protesters?  If these lazy, loser protesters didn’t have the police guarding them, and actually had to defend their actions, they wouldn’t be protesting like they are.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the police should just stay away, and let the good citizens pummel the lazy, loser protesters?  If these lazy, loser protesters didn’t have the police guarding them, and actually had to defend their actions, they wouldn’t be protesting like they are.  

What's wrong with you. 

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Thanks for the links, goalie13.  But I've read through them and I can't find any reference to a plebiscite that took place among the Wet'suwet'en in which 80% of the people favoured the pipeline.  And that was the assertion I was questioning.

There is a reference to one band, the Witset First Nation, in which a majority voted in favour of the project.  But that's a far cry from the claim that 80% of the Wet'suwet'en voted in favour of the pipeline.

I think that IF such a plebiscite took place and IF 80% of the We'suewt'en voted in favour of the pipeline, that would be. obviously, a very important fact in this discussion.  Probably a determining fact.  But IS it a fact?  This situation is confusing enough without made up assertions being thrown into the mix as facts.  I don't know if this particular assertion is made up or not but I have yet to find any reliable source for it.

I don't think there was one.

My wife is a member of the Hagwilget band in the Hazeltons. We get mail from them all the time....vote for this....vote for that....but we haven't seen this plebiscite that some are speaking of. If I read the article correctly, they are referring to a vote that allegedly happened within the Witset nation, which is just one of many (although the largest) in Wet'suwet'en territory.

Just to make things a bit more confusing, I found this article yesterday:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/the-wetsuweten-are-more-united-than-pipeline-backers-want-you-to-think/ar-BB10100q

The author seems to be supportive of the hereditary chiefs in her writing, but the passage that struck me was this one:

Their position has been supported by their system of bahlat as well as a survey that was reported to me by Chief Knedebeas (Warner William), as well as Chief Howihkat (Freda Huson), who was on the council of Witset (the largest Wet’suwet’en community) while the survey was being completed. It was conducted by CopperMoon Communications, a company that doesn’t seem to exist anymore. The surveyed stated that 83 per cent of Witset members (its population is 2,000 among the greater Wet’suwet’en population of 5,000) were against the pipeline.

This appears to be mostly hearsay, but it does tend to muddy the waters a bit.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Via Rail to temporarily lay off 1,000 workers amid rail blockades

https://trib.al/5gcn8Jv

Sad to hear working Canadians are losing paychecks over our governments inaction on climate change.....

Maybe our politicians will start to listen to Canadians and start to limit environmentally damaging energy projects.

We can only hope.

Edited by kingofsurrey

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sad to hear working Canadians are losing paychecks over our governments inaction on climate change.....

Maybe our politicians will start to listen to Canadians and start to limit environmentally damaging energy projects.

We can only hope.

Still waiting to hear the solution?

I suppose pointing fingers is easier than trying to find a solution. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2