The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

25 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Still waiting to hear the solution?

I suppose pointing fingers is easier than trying to find a solution. 

Simple solution - governments in Canada need to stop approving dirty energy projects as well as pipelines....

Good news

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs are heading to Ontario on Wednesday to meet with members of the Mohawk community in Tyendinaga and Kahnawake who are protesting in solidarity with them.

The chiefs will meet with Mohawk protesters blocking railway tracks. They are expected to stay in Ontario over the weekend, visiting several protest locations.

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chief Na’Moks, who also goes by John Ridsdale, confirmed that hereditary chiefs from four clans and a representative from a fifth clan will be travelling to Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory near Belleville, Ont.

Na’Moks said there will be no discussions with any level of government until the RCMP and Coastal GasLink have left Wet’suwet’en territory.

“We want to thank [Tyendinaga] for standing with us and for clearly understanding we aren’t going to be having discussions with anybody until RCMP and CGL are gone from the territories,” he told Global News. “We would be negotiating while under duress and we won’t do that.”

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So shut it all down.

Do you understand the consequences of that? 

Do we have a choice ?

Do you understand the consquences of global warming... ?   At least Jeff Bezos is starting to grasp the severity of the issue....

Jeff Bezos commits $10 billion to fight climate change

https://nypost.com/2020/02/17/jeff-bezos-commits-10-billion-to-fight-climate-change/

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

In 2018, the World Bank estimated that three regions (Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa, and Southeast Asia) will generate 143 million more climate migrants by 2050.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-climate-crisis-migration-and-refugees/

Meh....2050?  I’ll be worm food by then.:P

20 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

In 2018, the World Bank estimated that three regions (Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa, and Southeast Asia) will generate 143 million more climate migrants by 2050.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-climate-crisis-migration-and-refugees/

In 1988, the Maldives were predicted to be completely underwater by 2018.  Not only are they still there, but they have senselessly (sarcasm) allowed their population to more than double in that time timeframe.

In 2004, Britain was predicted to have Siberian-type weather by the year 2020.

In 2008, the Arctic was predicted to be ice-free by 2013 or 2018, depending on sources.

Hell, even NYC was to be partially flooded by now. 

Please forgive a little skepticism.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do we have a choice ?

Do you understand the consquences of global warming... ?   At least Jeff Bezos is starting to grasp the severity of the issue....

https://nypost.com/2020/02/17/jeff-bezos-commits-10-billion-to-fight-climate-change/

Only $10B ? Amazon carbon footprint probably contributes more to climate change than anyone in Canada.. delivering millions of packages a day he should have a guilty conscience, not to mention the treatment of lower level Amazon employees is reportedly abysmal. He is just trying to preserve his image.. he should just shut it all down if he really cared, right 

Amazon’s emissions exceed the reported totals of United Parcel Service Inc. and FedEx Corp. as well as Apple Inc., Alphabet Inc., Microsoft Corp

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

the glom on protestors don't care about first nations poverty or economic opportunities. They've got religion about stopping all oil and gas, nothing needs to make sense for them anymore to go out an cause problems. 

I think Scheer is being an idiot calling for the RCMP to step in at this point onto first nations territory in a bigger show of force (big shocker) but they can clear out intersections and throw a few of these imported/glom on protestors in jail for the evening. King can bring them a cake with a file in it in solidarity. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the glom on protestors don't care about first nations poverty or economic opportunities. They've got religion about stopping all oil and gas, nothing needs to make sense for them anymore to go out an cause problems. 

I think Scheer is being an idiot calling for the RCMP to step in at this point onto first nations territory in a bigger show of force (big shocker) but they can clear out intersections and throw a few of these imported/glom on protestors in jail for the evening. King can bring them a cake with a file in it in solidarity. 

Ya I agree. Sending RCMP into these territories only heightens the dispute. And I agree there is a more radical agenda seeping into this. This whole process & debate has been in gridlock for so long, it really doesn't help anyone. Its a crazy time in our country. 

I'm open to protests, but when its repeatedly blocking busy intersections at busy times.... Couldn't they have the same impact elsewhere in the city? Going down Broadway in the evening/after work is already stupid as is. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Protests move now to small towns.  My cousins lives in Abbotsford and they will have solidary protest marches downtown in Abbotsford Friday and Saturday if you Jimmy have some spare to time to help in the fight to reduce climate change.....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Protests move now to small towns.  My cousins lives in Abbotsford and they will have solidary protest marches downtown in Abbotsford Friday and Saturday if you Jimmy have some spare to time to help in the fight to reduce climate change.....

Its not reducing it when the supply is instead coming from countries/places that care less about safety & limiting pollution. 

• Upvote 1

once we lift first nations people out of poverty I'll meet up with you 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ya I agree. Sending RCMP into these territories only heightens the dispute. And I agree there is a more radical agenda seeping into this. This whole process & debate has been in gridlock for so long, it really doesn't help anyone. Its a crazy time in our country. 

I'm open to protests, but when its repeatedly blocking busy intersections at busy times.... Couldn't they have the same impact elsewhere in the city? Going down Broadway in the evening/after work is already stupid as is. 

First nations demographically are young and in lower in income/education.  This has the potential to really blow up.

It is time now for Canada to do the right thing and settle land disputes with our first nations people.  End the genocide now. 

Lets get clean drinking water to all our first nations communities.... Its 2020 FFS. 

Re

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do we have a choice ?

The choice is how we get there. Its not an old energy vs new energy debate.

Crippling our economy doesn't help, there's nothing 'simple' about finding the solution.

Chicken made a great point about Bezos that I was also thinking. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

once we lift first nations people out of poverty I'll meet up with you 

Awesome i buy the first beer and possible even the second.  That will be a great day when we see all  first nations communities doing really well. 

First nations demographically are young and in lower in income/education.  This has the potential to really blow up.

It is time now for Canada to do the right thing and settle land disputes with our first nations people.  End the genocide now. 

Lets get clean drinking water to all our first nations communities.... Its 2020 FFS. 

Re

No doubt they should have clean drinking water. No excuse for that. 

First nations groups don't seem to all be on the same page in regards to energy projects though. There's opportunities for their communities to grow. The potential to 'blow up' is scary. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Seems like these chiefs won't talk with the RCMP on their territorial land.

Remove the cops so some talks can happen. These hereditary chiefs move at their own speed and will not talk while feeling threatened. 

Hopefully, the other disaster of a pipeline. TM tar line can now be cancelled.....

White elephant of a project....

OTTAWA — Opposition parties and environmental groups are urging the federal government to stop expanding the Trans Mountain pipeline, citing a poll saying Canadians are alarmed by the project’s cost.

Bloc Quebecois leader Yves-Francois Blanchet, NDP environment critic Laurel Collins, as well as the Greens’ parliamentary leader Elizabeth May and environment activists Alexandra Woodsworth and Patrick Bonin, held a news conference Wednesday morning to release a Nanos poll of 1,003 Canadians that asked numerous questions about the project and its costs.

The federal government bought the existing oil pipeline between Alberta and the B.C. coast, and an unfinished plan to twin it, for $4.5 billion in 2018. The latest tally says the total cost to complete the twinning project will be $12.6 billion, much higher than a previous $7.4-billion estimate.

“If there is no profit to be made in the future, if we are going to have trouble finding buyers, we still have the opportunity to save these billions and invest in renewable energies, invest in these families struggling in Western Canada, rather than losing billions of dollars supporting a white elephant in the future,” said Woodsworth, a campaigner for B.C.-based environmental group Dogwood.

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/higher-costs-should-kill-trans-mountain-pipeline-opposition-says/wcm/52e57b07-a769-4be5-a197-100b08ebe285