The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think there was one.

My wife is a member of the Hagwilget band in the Hazeltons. We get mail from them all the time....vote for this....vote for that....but we haven't seen this plebiscite that some are speaking of. If I read the article correctly, they are referring to a vote that allegedly happened within the Witset nation, which is just one of many (although the largest) in Wet'suwet'en territory.

Just to make things a bit more confusing, I found this article yesterday:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/the-wetsuweten-are-more-united-than-pipeline-backers-want-you-to-think/ar-BB10100q

The author seems to be supportive of the hereditary chiefs in her writing, but the passage that struck me was this one:

This appears to be mostly hearsay, but it does tend to muddy the waters a bit.

Does that mean she's a member of the Wet'suwet'en?  Or am I getting my bands mixed up?

If she is, does she know how hereditary chiefs are selected?  Are they lifetime positions?  I've read that a couple of hereditary chiefs who were in favour of the pipeline were removed from their positions.

If I'm straying into personal territory here (after all, it's not your wife who is posting here) I apologize.  But if she is a member of the Wet'suwet'en I'd be interested in hearing some of her thoughts on all this.

17 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Does that mean she's a member of the Wet'suwet'en?  Or am I getting my bands mixed up?

If she is, does she know how hereditary chiefs are selected?  Are they lifetime positions?  I've read that a couple of hereditary chiefs who were in favour of the pipeline were removed from their positions.

If I'm straying into personal territory here (after all, it's not your wife who is posting here) I apologize.  But if she is a member of the Wet'suwet'en I'd be interested in hearing some of her thoughts on all this.

She is a member of the Wet'suwet'en, although her band is pretty much on the edge of where their territory merges with that of the Gitxsan. I believe there are members of both nations in her band. TBH, she hasn't had much to say about this current dispute, most likely, because Hagwilget is not along the proposed route.

As far as Hereditary Chiefs go, AFAIK, they're exactly that. It's passed from father to son. (sometimes daughter)

All of that being said, there are likely people here who know the system far better than I do.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ahhhhh BroadComm.....perfect place for a protest.  Lotsa people with nothing else to do.

I know you're teasing the hippies of Commercial but I am pretty sure that is one of the busiest bus stops in the city. A lot of UBC'rs use the Broadway corridor. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I know you're teasing the hippies of Commercial but I am pretty sure that is one of the busiest bus stops in the city. A lot of UBC'rs use the Broadway corridor. 

I’m aging myself lol....

when I lived in 1st and Vic back in the day, the drive was very, well, on coffee break.

but yes, the B line and broadway station are busy.  I used it to get to bcit for a couple years.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Incredibly misleading statements by via rail without question.  Blaming these layoffs that we're slayed back in November on this protest is absolute garbage

FB_IMG_1582214453882.jpg

almost everyone is using this to their advantage Hip how is CN any different? the only people getting screwed over in all this are the people on 20 reserves that are at risk of not benefitting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all of this brings down the project. 

It amazes me that the female SJWs are happy to overlook a male hereditary chief system, because they prefer to yell about the environment and I suppose the fact that its not them and only female first nations people that have to live under that system, despite what the elected members want.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

almost everyone is using this to their advantage Hip how is CN any different? the only people getting screwed over in all this are the people on 20 reserves that are at risk of not benefitting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all of this brings down the project. 

It amazes me that the female SJWs are happy to overlook a male hereditary chief system, because they prefer to yell about the environment and I suppose the fact that its not them and only female first nations people that have to live under that system, despite what the elected members want.

I won't argue that everyone is using this to their advantage.  But CN Rail stated that 400+ layoffs would occur back in November.  Now that number is over 1000 and is approaching 2000+ layoffs even with trains starting to move again.  When you state your intentions of laying off your labour force, get stymied by a union protest then blame layoffs 4x worse in number on protests it is absolutely shameful.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

More confusion.

I've read that women can become hereditary chiefs.  Here's a snip from a G&M article that talks about two female Wet'sewet'en hereditary chiefs:

"Two of the Indigenous women were Wet’suwet’en house chiefs: Ms. George held the hereditary title Smogelgem under Sun House of the Laksamshu clan, while Ms. Glaim served as Woos under Grizzly House of the Gitdumden (also spelled Gidimt’en) clan."

As it happens,  according to the article, these two female hereditary chiefs were removed from office because they favored the pipeline.  Which raises more questions:  how is a hereditary chief removed and who removes them?

This just gets more and more confusing.

Full article here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-wetsuweten-chiefs-remove-hereditary-titles-of-three-women-who/

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Speaking of Matriarchs, here is one that spoke out,   Interesting to hear her opinion.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-thats-not-the-way-of-our-ancestors-wetsuweten-matriarch-speaks/

A Wet’suwet’en hereditary subchief who helped translate a seminal Supreme Court decision that laid the foundation for greater control for Indigenous communities over their land says she opposes the blockades that have been roiling the country.

Rita George also said Thursday that she and other matriarchs have been feeling sick about the conflict and how it has split their community. She said the opposing hereditary chiefs and some of the people around them – including outside activists who have embedded themselves in the protest camp – have disrespected ancient feast-house traditions of how to treat one another

Ms. George said it caused her great pain to have to exercise her leadership by speaking out against some of her own and particularly those outsiders who have turned her northern British Columbia community into a battleground over issues of climate change policy, resource extraction and reconciliation.

“I want the world to know why I am stepping forward as a matriarch,” the trim, curly-haired 80-year-old said in an emotional interview at the Pleasant Valley Cafe in Houston, B.C. “The world thinks the matriarchs are behind all the protests going on and that’s not true. None of the matriarchs were contacted.”

Edited by DonLever
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

More confusion.

I've read that women can become hereditary chiefs.  Here's a snip from a G&M article that talks about two female Wet'sewet'en hereditary chiefs:

"Two of the Indigenous women were Wet’suwet’en house chiefs: Ms. George held the hereditary title Smogelgem under Sun House of the Laksamshu clan, while Ms. Glaim served as Woos under Grizzly House of the Gitdumden (also spelled Gidimt’en) clan."

As it happens,  according to the article, these two female hereditary chiefs were removed from office because they favored the pipeline.  Which raises more questions:  how is a hereditary chief removed and who removes them?

This just gets more and more confusing.

Full article here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-wetsuweten-chiefs-remove-hereditary-titles-of-three-women-who/

how is it confusion? the eco-warriors claim they support Canadian hereditary systems, many of which are male. I find that fascinating given they would never accept that for themselves. 

I didn't know about the ones you quoted, but thats even more concerning - why did those chiefs get removed? who has the power to remove a hereditary chief? 

JT press conference addressed the protests and blockades.   The ball is in the protesters court to remove the blockades.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/barricades-must-now-come-down-pm-trudeau-says-of-rail-blockades-1.4821889

'Barricades must now come down,' PM Trudeau says of rail blockades

16 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

JT press conference addressed the protests and blockades.   The ball is in the protesters court to remove the blockades.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/barricades-must-now-come-down-pm-trudeau-says-of-rail-blockades-1.4821889

'Barricades must now come down,' PM Trudeau says of rail blockades

Both JT and Horgan are hypocrites.  

Last year, the RCMP violently arrested Wet’suwet’en people and supporters in the disputed area, with the Guardian reporting late last year that police had been prepared to use lethal force. Earlier this month, the RCMP set up a checkpoint to control access to the area after a B.C Supreme Court judge extended an injunction to force out the Wet’suwet’en in the camps and allow construction on the pipeline to continue.

“We are not trespassing,” Ta'Kaiya Blaney, one of several Victoria, B.C., activists arrested and released after a protest supporting the Wet’suwet’en earlier this week, said in a video posted on Facebook.

Wet’suwet’en Nation territory in northern British Columbia is just one example of a dispute over unceded land.

“Coastal GasLink is trespassing, those cops are trespassing. They have no jurisdiction to violate Indigenous Peoples and Indigenous youth on stolen land.”

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/01/24/analysis/what-we-mean-when-we-say-indigenous-land-unceded

Edited by kingofsurrey

57 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Last year, the RCMP violently arrested Wet’suwet’en people and supporters in the disputed area, with the Guardian reporting late last year that police had been prepared to use lethal force. Earlier this month, the RCMP set up a checkpoint to control access to the area after a B.C Supreme Court judge extended an injunction to force out the Wet’suwet’en in the camps and allow construction on the pipeline to continue.

“We are not trespassing,” Ta'Kaiya Blaney, one of several Victoria, B.C., activists arrested and released after a protest supporting the Wet’suwet’en earlier this week, said in a video posted on Facebook.

Wet’suwet’en Nation territory in northern British Columbia is just one example of a dispute over unceded land.

“Coastal GasLink is trespassing, those cops are trespassing. They have no jurisdiction to violate Indigenous Peoples and Indigenous youth on stolen land.”

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/01/24/analysis/what-we-mean-when-we-say-indigenous-land-unceded

you have a talent for finding articles that teach us nothing. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have a talent for finding articles that teach us nothing. 

You still haven't paid me from last weeks tutoring i gave you about this crisis / issue......

giphy.gif

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

When are you gonna give back your land since your on unceded territory?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Violator said:

When are you gonna give back your land since your on unceded territory?

My first preference is that our BC gov negotiates a settlement first......

BC joined Canada in 1871 so i would think that 150 years.....  would have been enough time to make a deal.....

But i guess Genocide was always our governments first and cheapest choice.....   seems like that is still what our governments prefer....

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My first preference is that our BC gov negotiates a settlement first......

No you should bridge the gap and give up your land first 

Im sure @Jimmy McGill can help you with the negotiations.with all that back rent you owe

Edited by Violator
  • Haha 2