The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Saudi Arabia declares oil price war on fellow OPEC (and non OPEC)members.

nuckin_futz

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The positive effects are far better for the entire country, but of course all the seats are in Ontario, a manufacturing province dependent on the US. If the liberals don't win Ontario they're essentially not a party. Have you connected the dots yet?

actually it effects all Canadian manufacturers, not just in Ontario, being so dependent on oil exports hurts us when the dollar is driven higher because of it. It also makes it more expensive to ship our goods. Alberta's impact does not cover that loss. You guys get to live the high life and it does come at a cost to other industries.But that never seems to make it into the firehose of whining out of Alberta, now does it? 

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Oil execs saying cleaning up their mess that they have numerous shell companies set up for bankruptcy to avoid financial loss mad that government money not flowing in to their coffers when they're still developing in more lucrative parts of North America

While I'm happy it will put/keep Albertans/Canadians back to work through and after this covid mess, and will have a net positive environmental impact... Why the fork are Canadian tax payers once again left footing the bill of cleaning up after the mess left by greedy oil companies?!!

And those oil companies have the nerve to complain about it?!! FAAAAHKKUUE! :mad:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

and I can quote you other oil exec's that said they're happy about it.

No one can make up for Alberta's decision to put all their eggs in a basket MBS and Putin can dick with, thats on you guys. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I'm happy it will put/keep Albertans/Canadians back to work through and after this covid mess, and will have a net positive environmental impact... Why the fork are Canadian tax payers once again left footing the bill of cleaning up after the mess left by greedy oil companies?!!

And those oil companies have the nerve to complain about it?!! FAAAAHKKUUE! :mad:

Infuriating right?  Companies allowed to ignore their responsibility in cleaning these sites, allowed to avoid paying their leases to municipalities and landowners.  All this on the backs of taxpayers

But it's not enough.  They want even more.  They demand more.  Somehow, the people agree with them

• Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No one can make up for Alberta's decision to put all their eggs in a basket MBS and Putin can dick with, thats on you guys. 

But... equalization

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If its such a hardship for guys like @Ryan Strome to have their province get $1 billion to keep 5,000 guys working and solve their abandoned well problem, they can always decline it. 

Its pretty insulting to the rest of Canada for them to be crapping on this. Don't take it if thats how you feel about it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

But... equalization

yeah. I guess it hasn't dawned on them yet even without equalization there's no need for the feds to give any more GST back to Alberta, in fact there'd be even fewer ways to do it. 

I'm starting to think Alberta separation may be inevitable. And maybe in the end a very good thing for the rest of us. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If its such a hardship for guys like @Ryan Strome to have their province get $1 billion to keep 5,000 guys working and solve their abandoned well problem, they can always decline it. 

Its pretty insulting to the rest of Canada for them to be crapping on this. Don't take it if thats how you feel about it. 

But if we don't give them that $1b to keep them employed, how are they to continue to pay the taxes, like everyone else, that 'prop up the rest of Canada'?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

But if we don't give them that $1b to keep them employed, how are they to continue to pay the taxes, like everyone else, that 'prop up the rest of Canada'?

sucking up to Soros and the new world order? 

Meh, talking about this with an Albertan is like trying to get an airport moonie to give up the tambourine. They think they "carry us all" and there's just no way of having a real discussion. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Pipelines to each coast would sure help.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually it effects all Canadian manufacturers, not just in Ontario, being so dependent on oil exports hurts us when the dollar is driven higher because of it. It also makes it more expensive to ship our goods. Alberta's impact does not cover that loss. You guys get to live the high life and it does come at a cost to other industries.But that never seems to make it into the firehose of whining out of Alberta, now does it? 

One minute you guys cry about a low dollar now you cry about a high dollar. But again the booming oil industry far makes up for it.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

How come you never cry about paying for tailings pond cleanups in BC? Or logging site cleanups?

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We are stating the truth, again I said it puts people to work but it wasn't the best plan.

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Excuse when did BC or anyone else contribute 650 billion?

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sucking up to Soros and the new world order? 

Meh, talking about this with an Albertan is like trying to get an airport moonie to give up the tambourine. They think they "carry us all" and there's just no way of having a real discussion. 

Actually there is a point but it's a few of you that can't admit Alberta has done more for Canada than any other province. We have provinces dependent on Alberta blocking projects that hurt all Canadians while continuing to want Alberta for help. Do you realise how many BC pipelines run through Alberta? You want subsidized fuel can we have subsidized lumber for our homes? You guys always want freebies from us and we gave it for so long but if you want to block us and hurt us then let us go.

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Pipelines to each coast would sure help.

If only we had competent conservative leadership.  Harper, Kenny, and Jean were part of a near decade of majority conservative governance and got neither done.  Messed things up so royally, that it took a liberal to at least get half of what you wish for.  But you still think they do nothing for Alberta.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

If only we had competent conservative leadership.  Harper, Kenny, and Jean were part of a near decade of majority conservative governance and got neither done.  Messed things up so royally, that it took a liberal to at least get half of what you wish for.  But you still think they do nothing for Alberta.

Excuse me, that liberal had to buy it!

JT, Harper, Chretien all got nothing done.

To many BCers and Quebecers cry over resource development. Yet for some reason it's not ugly looking at clear cuts all over BC.

46 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How come you never cry about paying for tailings pond cleanups in BC? Or logging site cleanups?

Interesting question.

I just used this here computer device to search the amount of tailing ponds in BC ...120. I couldn't find info on logging site clean ups.

Anyway, are they comparable in environmental damage that the 155,000 wells that no longer produce oil can have? The google machine said the clean up could cost 8bil.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Excuse me, that liberal had to buy it!

JT, Harper, Chretien all got nothing done.

To many BCers and Quebecers cry over resource development. Yet for some reason it's not ugly looking at clear cuts all over BC.

You cry over how Ottawa screws over Alberta.  You've cried about how JT is screwing Alberta.  Yet, when he gets it done, you still complain.  You still cry.  If JT and Ottawa were really out to get Alberta, then JT would have let TMX die when the great private, non-governmental investors jumped ship.  He didn't and thus killed that tired talking point of yours.  

The issues that we complained about is SPILLS.  They destroy fisheries and threaten tourism.  A significant part of our economies.  We wanted more for that.  Alberta refused.  

EDIT:

FYI:  about logging in BC.  We do plant trees.  So those scars don't last forever.  If you drive out the Bowron FSR you would be hard pressed to see one of the larges clear cuts from back in the day.  I know, because I live in PG and have driven out that area.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/factsheet-reforestation-in-bc

British Columbia prides itself on being a world leader in sustainable forest management. Since specific reforestation programs began in the 1930s, over 7.5 billion trees have been planted.

• About 80%[1] of harvested areas are reforested by planting; the balance through natural regeneration.
  • On average, about 218 million seedlings are planted each year in British Columbia.
  • In 2016, about 259 million trees were planted and, for 2017, about 266 million trees are planned to be planted.
  • The Forests for Tomorrow program deals with reforestation challenges created by B.C.’s unprecedented mountain pine beetle infestation and increasingly severe wildfire seasons.
  • Since its inception in 2005, Forests for Tomorrow has invested over $445 million in reforestation activities, surveyed approximately 1.7 million hectares in mountain pine beetle affected areas and planted more than 193 million seedlings on over 138,000 hectares.
  • Through the Forests for Tomorrow program about 17 million seedlings were planted in 2016 and approximately 22 million seedlings will be planted in 2017.
  • It is estimated that since 2005, the trees planted by Forests for Tomorrow will result in the sequestration of about 19 million tonnes of carbon. In the past eight years, carbon sequestration has averaged about two million tonnes per year.
  • In 2016, government invested $85 million in the newly formed Forest Enhancement Society of B.C. and provided another $150 million to the society in 2017.
  • The society’s goals are to advance environmental and resource stewardship of British Columbia’s forests by:
    • preventing and mitigating the impact of wildfires
    • improving damaged or low-value forests
    • improving habitat for wildlife
    • supporting the use of fibre from damaged and low-value forests
    • treating forests to improve the management of greenhouse gases
  • British Columbia uses a mix of over 20 different native tree species in its reforestation programs. This mix of tree species helps maintain ecosystem processes, resilience and diverse habitats.
  • Licensees are legally required to reforest the areas that they harvest. This has been the law in B.C. since Oct. 1, 1987.
  • Sites being planted by Forests for Tomorrow are strategically selected so they deliver multiple benefits:
  • Contributing to the future timber supply and ecological integrity.
  • Addressing environmental values like soil and hydrology.
  • Providing employment.
  • By relying on a broad range of scientific knowledge and latest research, Forests for Tomorrow is developing effective reforestation strategies and revitalizing British Columbia’s forest landscapes.

[1] Based on the recent 10-year average area reforested  by planting as compared to the area reforested through natural regeneration and classified as non-productive

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Interesting question.

I just used this here computer device to search the amount of tailing ponds in BC ...120. I couldn't find info on logging site clean ups.

Anyway, are they comparable in environmental damage that the 155,000 wells that no longer produce oil can have? The google machine said the clean up could cost 8bil.

The likely tailings pond was an environmental disaster my friend. 

2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

You cry over how Ottawa screws over Alberta.  You've cried about how JT is screwing Alberta.  Yet, when he gets it done, you still complain.  You still cry.  If JT and Ottawa were really out to get Alberta, then JT would have let TMX die when the great private, non-governmental investors jumped ship.  He didn't and thus killed that tired talking point of yours.  

The issues that we complained about is SPILLS.  They destroy fisheries and threaten tourism.  A significant part of our economies.  We wanted more for that.  Alberta refused.  

Couple things, the disaster in Likely has ruined drinking water, seems pretty important. 

JT needs the money from TMX expansion. 

Yes, Ottawa does screw us, answer me this if Ontario or Quebec had all Alberta oil do you think governments would block them?

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

The likely tailings pond was an environmental disaster my friend. 

I know.

Was just wondering if the potential environmental impact of the tailing ponds and logging clean up was comparable in estimation to the 155,000 spent wells in AB?

Do you know the answer? or are you just pointing out perceived hypocrisy to the poster you responded to?

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know.

Was just wondering if the potential environmental impact of the tailing ponds and logging clean up was comparable in estimation to the 155,000 spent wells in AB?

Do you know the answer? or are you just pointing out perceived hypocrisy to the poster you responded to?

I don't have the exacts but I do know you guys spend a lot on forest fires and that number will likely finally go down, finally.

The amount of leftover fibre in logging sites has increased over the years, leading the B.C. government to create fibre recovery zones and introduce penalties to loggers who leave behind significant amounts of waste. (Adam Olsen, MLA - Saanich North and the Islands/Facebook)

vancouver-island-slash-pile.jpg

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Couple things, the disaster in Likely has ruined drinking water, seems pretty important. 

JT needs the money from TMX expansion. 

Yes, Ottawa does screw us, answer me this if Ontario or Quebec had all Alberta oil do you think governments would block them?

Thing is, people are swimming and fishing in Quesnel lake and drinking water has returned to water quality standards.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mount-polley-mine-disaster-5-years-later-emotions-accountability-unresolved-1.5236160

It compares to:

And the Pembina Pine River oil spill almost ruined the drinking water of Chetwynd and ruined the shoreline of the Pine river in 2000.  And that wasn't the garbage dil-bit that will/would be pumped through those pipelines you wish for.  Go read up on the Kalamazoo river oil spill.