The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We got screwed in ‘94

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

I do believe there is video of it happening   .as messier kicks him in the ribs and  then punches him  

I don’t believe such a video has ever been shown. I’m sure it must be recorded too... this was the finals, game 6, not some exhibition game. It’s one of the very reasons we Canucks fans hate Messier so much, but video evidence has never been shown.

In today's game, Leetch would have been called for hooking Linden prior to Linden scoring....how about 3 penalties should have been called.

Canucks dominated the Rangers in game 6 and were smelling blood in game 7....however, they had to beat the Rangers and the refs in game 7.

Refs somewhat laid off calling penalties once the Rangers went up 3-1 in the second period....(after calling 4 straight penalties against the Canucks).

Edited by Pete M

On 6/15/2020 at 6:00 PM, the grinder said:

lol your whole post is about    , the ref missing   a 2 minute penalty  on 2 delayed penalties when a goal is scored  ,and your saying it a not a missed call lol   ,  your funny  and have the perfect name  

Yah, good insult there don’t know how you came up with that, utterly original, you’re brilliant, not sure what you’re trying to prove but at least you’re brilliant. Good job.

• Cheers 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:33 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Just watching game 7 1994 replay and noticed when Linden scored the 1-2 short handed goal there were 2 delayed penalties yet both were waived after the goal and the Rangers retained the rest of their PP. The only mention of a rule I could find was only one of the penalties should have been waived and it should have been 4 on 4 with a power play for us afterwards.

Did we get screwed by a ref not knowing the rules?

Not long after we took a penalty and the Rangers scored to go up 3-1.

Don’t concern yourself with 1994.

If we are being honest, we probably had just as many calls go our way as well.

Be thankful for our 1994 and 2011 runs, and look forward to the future.

Life is full of victories and defeats and so there is no point in getting hung up on any of these experiences.

• Upvote 1

Found this clip of Linden's goal. Watch the clip and listen to the end of it ... between 1:04 and 1:13 ... the announcer actually says ... 

"A shorthanded goal ... two delayed penalties, the referee had his hand up, but because of the goal they're both washed out."

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Found this clip of Linden's goal. Watch the clip and listen to the end of it ... between 1:04 and 1:13 ... the announcer actually says ... 

"A shorthanded goal ... two delayed penalties, the referee had his hand up, but because of the goal they're both washed out."

Unless the rule has changed since, it should only be one penalty washed out. You take away one minor penalty with a goal. 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Unless the rule has changed since, it should only be one penalty washed out. You take away one minor penalty with a goal. 

Yeah, I posted the video with the quote as reference because it's the only thing I found that addresses/answers it directly on air. 

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there was some sort of rule change around this in 1990s. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, I posted the video with the quote as reference because it's the only thing I found that addresses/answers it directly on air. 

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there was some sort of rule change around this in 1990s. 

Yeah I think you'd probably know better than me. I wasn't as hardcore of a hockey fanatic back then. 

On 6/17/2020 at 1:36 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

Yah, good insult there don’t know how you came up with that, utterly original, you’re brilliant, not sure what you’re trying to prove but at least you’re brilliant. Good job.

the point ? it was a missed call   not sure why you would try and dispute that fact , insult? I just referred to your name and said you were funny  lighten up eh    

11 hours ago, the grinder said:

the point ? it was a missed call   not sure why you would try and dispute that fact , insult? I just referred to your name and said you were funny  lighten up eh    

Maybe it wasn’t, if the rules said both penalties are a wash then they got it right, irregardless after watching the replay I found the situation interesting and thought it would be an interesting conversation. Either the refs got the rule right or they got it wrong, pretty simple, even for a dumb Nuck.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:16 AM, coho8888 said:

just joking.

I agree with you.  There were a lot of things that happened that conspired against us.  Like the extra day of rest the Rangers had after the Jersey series.  And then this.  In my mind, that rule is pretty cut and dry.  There may be gray areas when it comes to calling hooking, interference etc.. but not knowing the actual rule is inexcusable.  Would it have made a difference?  perhaps.  We will never know.  

Never mind the extra day of rest the Rangers had after the Jersey series, how about changing the date of game 7 to allow the teams an extra day of rest. Had we played on the Monday as originally scheduled, the younger Canucks who by game 7 had worn out the Older tired Rangers most likely would have beaten them handily. Even with the extra rest we almost had them. The league does what is best for the league , not the teams or their fans

• Thanks 1

I'll chime in,

The 94 playoffs had Gregson calling penalties behind him that he didn't see, a boarding call when the hit took place on the face off dot,and watching Beukeboom (6'5") elbow Bure in the head sending Bure back to the bench on spaghetti legs behind the play but not calling it, Babych getting a tripping penalty while 20' away because Larmer tripped over his own two feet and fell by himself and slapped his stick on the ice or the cool replay of the puck going into Richter's glove and the glove hitting the net cam, one overhead shot of his glove totally behind the goal line up to his elbow, but it didn't count because they couldn't see the puck that was in the glove.Gregson later became the NHL's head man in charge of referees for quite awhile. And we got "game management" in spades ever since.

Edited by Lazurus