The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maple Leafs star Auston Matthews tests positive for COVID-19

Rate this topic

Slegr

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I find Simmons crying and playing the victim to be rather funny as well. His reputation as a tabloid journalist among hockey fans is the reason why he received the reaction that he did. Releasing someone's private medical information without their permission generally shows a lack of journalistic integrity but that wasn't why they were calling him an idiot and a clown...

The hot dog vendor who parks daily at Front and John Sts. just lost his most reliable customer.

Almost every afternoon at 2:30 p.m., often wearing a toque, Phil Kessel would wander from his neighbourhood condominium to consume his daily snack.

And now he’s gone. Just like that. The Maple Leafs could no longer stomach having Kessel around, the first player to be both punished and rewarded for the saddest Leafs season in history. The Leafs held their breath, plugged their noses, and ostensibly gave Kessel to the Pittsburgh Penguins because they couldn’t stand having him around anymore.

https://torontosun.com/2015/07/01/leafs-were-sick-and-tired-of-kessel/wcm/a88abc48-cff7-4824-85b8-d13ca510f3c4

Phil did get the last laugh though. 

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-8.14.33-AM.png

• Haha 2

On 6/21/2020 at 12:28 AM, kloubek said:

According to Bieksa, half the players he has talked to don't even want to risk it. Wonder how this will all affect morale - especially with no real home games and no fans.

sounds serious, unless he only talked to four players about this.?

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

This story absolutely hits the nail on the head. This example has really demonstrated how TSN and Sportsnet are not independent, unbiased sports news authorities. Whatever they report must not make the Leafs look bad in any way. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

sounds serious, unless he only talked to four players about this.?

I think the scope of how many players he really knows well is lower than he projects. He played a bit of an enforcer role during his time in Vancouver and I don't think that made many friends on other teams.

This is going to be a very challenging playoffs for all - if it even happens. With players known to have covid, I think it needs to start with a 2 week quarantine of all players and staff. That in itself is a huge challenge.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I find Simmons crying and playing the victim to be rather funny as well. His reputation as a tabloid journalist among hockey fans is the reason why he received the reaction that he did. Releasing someone's private medical information without their permission generally shows a lack of journalistic integrity but that wasn't why they were calling him an idiot and a clown...

Lol.  Not a Simmons fan by any means but as he clearly states SN/TSN had no problems releasing other names that tested positive.  This is clearly about SN/TSN controlling the message and that's pathetic.  I expect that level of bs from the government of China not from sports. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol.  Not a Simmons fan by any means but as he clearly states SN/TSN had no problems releasing other names that tested positive.  This is clearly about SN/TSN controlling the message and that's pathetic.  I expect that level of bs from the government of China not from sports. 

By releasing I think you mean reporting, in which case I agree but I believe the story still has yet to be confirmed or denied. Simmons has a source but no one has come out and confirmed the Matthews story like Rocky Arcenaux did with Zeke. 

Edited by Toews

8 hours ago, Slegr said:

This story absolutely hits the nail on the head. This example has really demonstrated how TSN and Sportsnet are not independent, unbiased sports news authorities. Whatever they report must not make the Leafs look bad in any way. 

Sportsnet made it pretty clear they don't have any integrity when they chose to continue to employ Ron MacLean despite his use of HNIC as a platform to criminally slander of Burrows.  It's sad to see TSN stoop to this level too though; they actually do have a lot of respectable people working there.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1