The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 14, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I hope that the Canucks lodge a complaint on this ridiculous officiating. It is unbelievable at how awful it was. 

Sutter boarded (which led to a penalty against us!)

Myers boarded (which led to an injury)

Edler high sticked (which led to a goal)

Marky get run over (we get the penalty when it happens the other way)

What the bloody hell :picard:

Yup, terrible officiating. The Refs basically carried the Blues on their backs and they still lost. I don't think Ive seen a game where the opposing team is gifted PP after PP, wins a challenge that prevents a goal, and wins a challenge that leads to a goal, all in one game

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

meh.

69 game sample in whch he scored 18 goals, 36 points, 4th on the team in hits....

vs a 5 game sample (after a 4 month, postively strange covid context).

I think you guys might be blowing your small samples impressions out of proportion.

That means squat if he's invisible 80% of the time in the playoffs

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I hope that the Canucks lodge a complaint on this ridiculous officiating. It is unbelievable at how awful it was. 

Sutter boarded (which led to a penalty against us!)

Myers boarded (which led to an injury)

Edler high sticked (which led to a goal)

Marky get run over (we get the penalty when it happens the other way)

What the bloody hell :picard:

Yeah such a joke.  In any other playoff series of Beagle didn't jump in he'd be called soft and not coming to his teammate's defence -- yet in this case HE got the extra penalty?  FFS.  Same with previous "rules" about not hitting guys in the numbers or clipping guys in the face (guess the league's measuring stick is skewed if not broken), yet clearly that doesn't apply to us.  Still glad the good guys won and the Blues can grab a straw and suck it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sutter is 3rd in defensive zone faceoffs with 30. Horvat having 33 and Beagle having 46. 12 faceoffs on the PK with Sutter, likely most of them being in the D-zone. Horvat has 1 SH faceoff. That tells you that Horvat's line takes more D-zone draws 5v5. Sutter is also behind Beagle/Horvat/Miller in total faceoffs taken.

So my point proven 5v5 Beagle/Horvat handle the most defensive responsibility.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=faceoffpercentages&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=3&playerPlayedFor=franchise.20&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=totalFaceoffs&page=0&pageSize=50

No it isn't. 2nd and 4th line played in more defensive roles and against tougher competition. Horvat matched up against best players consistently and Beagle's line shared that duty handling the better offensive players. It has been a consistent thing all year. When Gaudette was playing C they were consistently sheltered when together.

I am not sure you're gonna prove to me or anyone that, right now,  Virtanen isn't one of our worst defensive forwards and isn't a checking forward like Motte/Beagle/Sutter/Bo/Eriksson. We're team full of responsible defensive forwards and the bar is high on this team. 

Honest question. Who has done more to contribute to the wins so far. Virtanen or Eriksson?

Eriksson by light years. Other than plan smart defensively, Horvat has been a beast ever since LE was put on that line. Virtanen, other than a fight, a few hits, hasn't done a whole lot. If you were to rank whos the worst forward right now, its Jake. Everyone has stepped up their game, and has had meaningful contributions

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Eriksson by light years. Other than plan smart defensively, Horvat has been a beast ever since LE was put on that line. Virtanen, other than a fight, a few hits, hasn't done a whole lot. If you were to rank whos the worst forward right now, its Jake. Everyone has stepped up their game, and has had meaningful contributions

As much as I have been upset with LE and even argued his demotion to the minors, he has done one good thing with his “little things”. His defensive play has allowed Bo to flourish offensively. LE must stay on that line (for now).

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

As much as I have been upset with LE and even argued his demotion to the minors, he has done one good thing with his “little things”. His defensive play has allowed Bo to flourish offensively. LE must stay on that line (for now).

Ive complained a plenty on LE , Sutter being on this team for years, and I'll even admit, they are both playing the best Ive seen them wearing a Canuck uniform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup, terrible officiating. The Refs basically carried the Blues on their backs and they still lost. I don't think Ive seen a game where the opposing team is gifted PP after PP, wins a challenge that prevents a goal, and wins a challenge that leads to a goal, all in one game

Really hate NHL refs when it comes to inconsistency in calls. Just plain garbage reffing because if they called it right, Canucks would have won in regulation with 5PP goals instead of 2PP goals. The refs are biased because they know our PP is too lethal and want to make the game close while giving out 7PP to a Blues team that hacks and wacks more.

• Cheers 1

Hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but that looked as though the league was trying their very best to gift that game to the Blues...

Will Edler please wake up, especially if Myers is out for a bit...

What actually happens if Toffoli returns, given Eriksson’s  play...?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, poet said:

Hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but that looked as though the league was trying their very best to gift that game to the Blues...

Jake is going to be in the pressbox. LE is way too good too take out of the lineup now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, poet said:

LE has to stay with Bo. I doubt TT will be available for this series anyways. Let’s make it to the next round before we think about that!

6 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Havent stopped drinking since the game started. Ive watched highlights at least 20 times now while listenin to 650. My wife is not impressed :picard:::D

Honestly you can make up for it later in the night. I've been real happy and have watched the highlights same amount of time and laughed at the Blues fans in hfboard trying to argue underlying stats and advanced stats of playoff games while we are ahead 2-0 in the series.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah and this is unfortunate. I am not happy for harking on Jake but time is running out. Guys like Mac/Motte proving capable in the bottom 6 while guys like Lind/Pod/Hog loom on the horizon.

Jake has the attributes to do so much more than a guy like Motte but we don't ever see that consistently. He needs to be able to do more than score to be effective and he will get more ice time, barring shortened benches and special teams.

• Cheers 1

Just now, captainhorvat said:

We still have a stanley cup champion top 6 winger in Toffoli to enter the lineup. First time in along time i can say this team has depth!

We most likely won’t be able to use him until the next series at the very earliest. Let’s hope we get there! 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

We still have a stanley cup champion top 6 winger in Toffoli to enter the lineup. First time in along time i can say this team has depth!

Now imagine if we had Ferland and Leivo at our disposal. I doubt the Blues would act tough with Ferland running around, plus a heavier 3rd line of Ferland-Sutter-Toffoli would have been tough to stop by the Blues team that is missing Jaybo.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Now imagine if we had Ferland and Leivo at our disposal. I doubt the Blues would act tough with Ferland running around, plus a heavier 3rd line of Ferland-Sutter-Toffoli would have been tough to stop by the Blues team that is missing Jaybo.

Greeners not gonna breakup the top 2 lines. Toffoli slots into the 3rd line until one of the top 2 lines get cold. But will slot back into the top pp unit. Were firing on all cylinders with the addition of Toffoli, this team can make some serious noise in the playoffs!

I've long been an advocate for carrying 7D into many games(maybe 30-50 games of a reg season). Perhaps this PO's it's too late/sudden for such a move. But isn't it possible we can train a depth D-man to have the versatility to play 4th line W?

I could see a guy like Stecher capably contributing as a p.t. fwd. Nice to have an ace up the sleeve for situations like tonight's.