The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Roussel barley played. Don't know how this can be pinned on him.

MacEwen had a great start then made some mistakes. He's a young guy.

Stecher battled really hard tonight but it just show how big a loss Tyler Myers is. 

Virtanen probably had his best game of the playoffs. Not a great penalty - but if the rules we're the rules the game might not even have gone that long.

The fact this was STL best game & the we still were right there with the best chances in OT. But the Blues have carried possession all series so... 

Either we get a good split here or we're on the ropes. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm sure our guys will be ready to play. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Zigmund.Palffy said:

Ahhh great game, 

refs are not our friends

bench eriksson, play Lind and hopefully myers plays tomorrow we need him

It took Lind his first whole AHL season to be productive in his second AHL season. And you want to throw him in a crucial Game 4? Um, no. 

The guys that have played need to pick it up and that is all.

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Well, the Blues were desperate and they showed it with their effort tonight. Let's see what happens tomorrow and then i will freak out like the rest of you.

Btw, I would really like them to not put Edler and Stetcher over 20 minutes cause they really can't handle over 20 minutes of play. Also, Virtanen didn't have a bad game or a good game. He was just there. Virtanen could literally be anyone during the time he spent on the ice because he was not noticeable at all. I seriously did not know he was playing until he took that penalty (which i thought was BS given how the refs passed on every other call against us). 

The point is if Virtanen doesn't want to put his heart into the game then he can sit. I rather see Gaudette in because he has heart, grit and an eagerness to win for the team and I can't see it for Virtanen

Not sure what game you were watching Vertanan had a fair bit of ice time, created a partial breakaway from his own forecheck, drove well into the zone a few times and got a couple of shifts with Pety and Miller.

if you don’t want to give Edler and stecher 20mins plus where does the ice time go? Myers was eating a lot and Tanev was already out there a lot as well.

its easy to throw out a statement like that, but there isn’t an option other than that. 

thats like blaming our lack of 5-5 on marky for not scoring 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Roussel barley played. Don't know how this can be pinned on him.

MacEwen had a great start then made some mistakes. He's a young guy.

Stecher battled really hard tonight but it just show how big a loss Tyler Myers is. 

Virtanen probably had his best game of the playoffs. Not a great penalty - but if the rules we're the rules the game might not even have gone that long.

The fact this was STL best game & the we still were right there with the best chances in OT. But the Blues have carried possession all series so... 

Either we get a good split here or we're on the ropes. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm sure our guys will be ready to play. 

Roussel plays 7 minutes. 

steals the puck from the blues so Petey can score

bench him 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Motte was outshot 40-7 when he was on the ice. 

That’s not on him, but the team as a whole. He defended well, was one of the few that forchecked okay as well.

CDC likes making scape goats. We cannot win every game, we were outplayed and Refs were okayish. Not bad enough to cost us the game and we had to work with it. 

it looked like some of the lines were going through the blender as well all night with green changing up on the fly. Some seemed a bit bizarre so I can only assume they were because of niggles on the players and because some of the forwards were making extended shifts defending, which was throwing the lines out of balance 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I agree, I just want more of a team effort. My worry is that the team is gonna be even more tired tomorrow as it's a back to back and we just spent 70 minutes bag skating. 

We've got a relatively young team. They will bounce back quickly. Not worried about the team effort, they've shown they're committed and they've learned through adversity on game 1 of the play-ins. Resiliency has been talked about a lot for this team.

I think my biggest concern is simply if we can actually push through with this defense or does Green go ballsy and put in OJ for his puck moving abilities and help bring back some of that connect from the forwards and defense. Having Stecher/Benn/Fantenberg who are all 6/7 dmen is going to be tough. I might even go bold and dress 7 dmen and have OJ in for this situation if called upon. We are already playing 3 forwards with minimal minutes anyway (although they too all provide a little something to contribute).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Not sure what game you were watching Vertanan had a fair bit of ice time, created a partial breakaway from his own forecheck, drove well into the zone a few times and got a couple of shifts with Pety and Miller.

if you don’t want to give Edler and stecher 20mins plus where does the ice time go? Myers was eating a lot and Tanev was already out there a lot as well.

its easy to throw out a statement like that, but there isn’t an option other than that. 

thats like blaming our lack of 5-5 on marky for not scoring 

What game were you watching? You were talking about the play that Virtanen got that gift from the Blue's captain and was on a partial break but shot completely wide of the net?? Yeah I was watching and was like wtf Virtanen. There was nothing impeding your shot and you shot wide when you are 5 feet away from the net. 

Yeah, give the minutes to Ben and Fantenburg. They can obviously handle themselves. Spread the minutes out because Edler and Stetcher are gased and Blues are taking advantage. 

Virtanen did not win any board battles. And I barely saw him the whole game until he got that penalty. So he is out for me and Gaudette is in

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Only three players in the top 10.

For me, what’s really frustrating about this team, is Markstrom plays every game but still

hasn't scored a goal.

I meant point producers.  We’re being lead by the young kids, either bring in Gaudette and reunite the Virtanen Gaudette Roussel line or we’re going to have a tough time winning this series.  

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

That’s not on him, but the team as a whole. He defended well, was one of the few that forchecked okay as well.

CDC likes making scape goats. We cannot win every game, we were outplayed and Refs were okayish. Not bad enough to cost us the game and we had to work with it. 

it looked like some of the lines were going through the blender as well all night with green changing up on the fly. Some seemed a bit bizarre so I can only assume they were because of niggles on the players and because some of the forwards were making extended shifts defending, which was throwing the lines out of balance 

Not blaming him individually no one really played too well outside of marky , Hughes , Ep40. Team needs to come out stronger tomorrow 

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Did Rousell play tonight?

Because quite frankly before anyone rags on Jake

They should ask themselves what did Rousell did tonight

Rousell has about 7 mins to jakes 14. Green clearly saw one being more impactful tonight .

• Cheers 3