The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I meant point producers.  We’re being lead by the young kids, either bring in Gaudette and reunite the Virtanen Gaudette Roussel line or we’re going to have a tough time winning this series.  

Gaudette was a schizo-epileptic deer in headlights in the first game he played.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

What game were you watching? You were talking about the play that Virtanen got that gift from the Blue's captain and was on a partial break but shot completely wide of the net?? Yeah I was watching and was like wtf Virtanen. There was nothing impeding your shot and you shot wide when you are 5 feet away from the net. 

Yeah, give the minutes to Ben and Fantenburg. They can obviously handle themselves. Spread the minutes out because Edler and Stetcher are gased and Blues are taking advantage. 

Virtanen did not win any board battles. And I barely saw him the whole game until he got that penalty. So he is out for me and Gaudette is in

What wait..........

.......and Boeser?

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

yeah I know, but what did he actually do out there?

Helped get us on the board. I don’t think it’s fair to point fingers at either JV or Rousell honestly. JV played just fine and Rousell only played 7 minutes. We simply lost to the Stanley cup champs. Really missed Myers. That what I think 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

So many random thoughts right now.

- Concerned with how the Blues have been leaning on us all series. 

- Canucks have been playing with more heart + determination

- Blues we're better overall tonight, yet we had better chances in OT & were a shot away from 3-0. (Great sign normally no?)

- Believe these guys are chapped and going to be ready to play tomorrow.

I don't know. Being a Canucks fan its hard not to expect the worst but this team has so much heart. I think we have a chance to win in 6 or this goes 7. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

You watched the wrong game of you thought we looked tired 

Boys played great. I expect another solid performance tomorrow night. 

Nah dude, we were tired in the 3rd OT as a result of getting hemmed in in our own zone with only enough energy to dump and change. And the Blues had an extra 1/2 step the entire time. 

First 2 periods were really good, then we fizzled with chances much harder to come by. Our passes began looking like sloppy Game 1 against the Wild.

Edited by Green Building
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

And did anyone seriously think this series was going to be a cake walk? These are the defending champs we are playing , a heavy heavy team. Tomorrow is critical don’t want these blues to gain momentum.

Of course not. I was just hoping it was tomorrow that they finally struck. Then the way momentum shifted with the PP before the end.... I don't know.

5 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Yes he shot wide but the fact is he generated the chance all by himself, he made the steal and drove to the net. 

If you want crucify him for that fine, but that’s exactly the type of play that people have been saying he needs to be making. 

ifnyou want to keep adjusting the bar he will never look good to some people on CDC who like a scape goat.

im not his biggest fan by a long shot but tonight isn’t the game I conplain about him or his effort

Yeah I get that. I see the value that Virtanen can bring to a game. But after the first game he was in for Minnesota. I do not see Virtanen being engaged. 

Virtanen is always looking like he doesn't want to make a mistake and just doing what he needs to do to not get bench. I get it on Virtanen's perspective for playing it safe. But if he plays like that then he is always second guessing himself and his spot should be given to someone who can play on instinct and to the team's strategy.

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Helped get us on the board. I don’t think it’s fair to point fingers at either JV or Rousell honestly. JV played just fine and Rousell only played 7 minutes. We simply lost to the Stanley cup champs. Really missed Myers. That what I think 

I think you are missing my point............why is he only playing 7 minutes?

I thought he was brought in for veteran leadership?

I honestly never noticed him...............I noticed Perron though

Get my point?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Wilfred said:

Stecher, Motte, and Macewen just tilting the ice for the blues with how unbelievably terrible they all were with the puck tonight. And it was consistent. Consistently throw it away despite having time and space. Stecher in particular made so many awful decisions including on the losing goal. Have absolutely no remote idea what he was thinking on the 1-1 goal. 

The 1-1 goal was MacEwen's fault. Justin Faulk was MacEwen's guy.

14 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

What game were you watching? You were talking about the play that Virtanen got that gift from the Blue's captain and was on a partial break but shot completely wide of the net?? Yeah I was watching and was like wtf Virtanen. There was nothing impeding your shot and you shot wide when you are 5 feet away from the net. 

Yeah, give the minutes to Ben and Fantenburg. They can obviously handle themselves. Spread the minutes out because Edler and Stetcher are gased and Blues are taking advantage. 

Virtanen did not win any board battles. And I barely saw him the whole game until he got that penalty. So he is out for me and Gaudette is in

Take a look at the TOI

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20192020/TH030183.HTM

Fanta and Ben got good minutes and there isn’t enough to take Edler below 20 mins available there. You complaining about a problem and providing a solution that isn’t possible 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Upvote 1

This was very good, very exciting game!! 

The blues weren't going to give it to us and a sweep was a pipe dream. They out played us and we still almost won.

I thought the officiating was fine.

Jake had his best game yet and people are still singling him out?

That first goal against us was all Macewen. He threw the puck to a Blues player in the offensive zone leading to a chaotic shift in our zone and instead of taking his man, he decides to cheat up ice leaving his man wide open for the goal. He almost did it again in the 3rd period. I like Zack ,but he had a way worse game than Jake.

The 2nd goal was a great shot.

The OT was the winger not covering for a pinching D.

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you are missing my point............why is he only playing 7 minutes?

I thought he was brought in for veteran leadership?

I honestly never noticed him...............I noticed Perron though

Get my point?

Honestly not sure. Noticed him a lot the first 2 games. Not sure why Green wasn’t playing him. There was nothing that I saw that made me think there was a reason. 

Do you know why? Do you think he played poorly this game. When was his last shift? 

That team is built to beat you by attrition and by over powering their opponents around the net and on the boards.

They were good enough at this strategy to win the Cup last year and it was highly unlikely they could sweep that team.

canucks are trying to keep the games close with their checkers.. then they are relying on the counter punch of the top two lines on the rush or the pp. 

Having meyers out makes that d smaller facilitates the blues strategy.  It’s a big loss. 

I think they will keep targeting the d Knowing they are already one regular down. Hopefully we can get more zone time to take some of the pressure off the guys back there.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Major bummer, but a really good hockey game overall. Boys played well but couldn't do much in the 3rd and beyond. Had our chances but St Louis wanted it more.  

Talk about tomorrow being an important game.  

Did anyone else think Pearson looked tired all night? Something just looked a bit off. What a game for Fantenberg, man did he ever step up. 

I think both Pearson and Boeser are a bit banged up. Both guys looked off.