The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, BoKnows said:

The defending champs have woken up.  Best of 3, we need to win the next game or we're done.

They have "woken up" because we let them. We were up 2 nothing and changes should have been made. We are constantly complaining about Perron and we have our very own "Perron" in Roussel. The difference? Our "Perron" does not play many minutes as does any of our heavy hitters or "deterents". We play LE instead.

Up 2 nothing? Sounds eerily like 2011 when we allowed Boston back into the series as well. 

Just now, EdgarM said:

They have "woken up" because we let them. We were up 2 nothing and changes should have been made. We are constantly complaining about Perron and we have our very own "Perron" in Roussel. The difference? Our "Perron" does not play many minutes as does any of our heavy hitters or "deterents". We play LE instead.

Up 2 nothing? Sounds eerily like 2011 when we allowed Boston back into the series as well. 

Except we were a playoff bubble team this year.  In 2011 we were Cup contenders.  Watching the games it looks like boys against men out there to a degree.

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your b!tching about the coaching yet this is your proposal?  Wow why don’t we just beg Bear to come to the bubble and quarantine for four days while we are at it.   Just from watching OJ and Chatfield and Rafferty and McEwen in the AHL it’s obvious why only one of thems on the team right now and people have been ripping on him - if your a St Louis fan then yeah that makes sense.  Go back your NHL20 game and make some trades and get back to us. 

Oh because Loui, Stecher and  Benn have been oh so effective? 

tell you what keep drinking the Green koolaid of all is good, different results will come 

gotta  love the sheep fans 

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

dunno... I could see AG just getting crushed and stripped of the puck in this series far more than him being able to get a dangerous shot on net.

We need Loui's matchup ability 5 on 5 and on the PK. 

Again d vs o, that is getting us nowhere so what’s the risk at this point? 

we can not beat the Blues by playing passively. They are crushing us 

our PK sucks and 5 on 5 is not providing us goals for 

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Taffoli in for Pearson (who's gotten cold and had 4 GAs, first line with 7 GA's overall, which I think is indicative of getting out muscled on the boards) take out Ericsson and move Boeser down (need someone to help create time and space for EP and Miller) 

This is the big change- adding a puck retriever to 1st line, Roussel, MacEwen, Sutter. Someone good on the boards and comfortable in the dirty areas.(my dark horse Graovac to protect Petie and Milzy).

With Ericsson out I would add speed to Bo's line. Virtanen or Bailey. (Blais has added speed to St L. I think we should counter with speed). Bo is doing enough with FO duty so some help with puck retrieval would be good. Ericsson has been serviceable but we need more offense.

I love Stech but I think he is in deep water,  I'd try a bigger body in there to help with some push back. OJ is not tough per se but a wide body. That is unless Myers is ready.

I think their adjustments of added speed is throwing us off. We need to adjust.  Speed creates some chaos and moments of a chance to be offensively creative. IMO

Well said Hairy. 

• Cheers 1

The team with the most "Jerks" will probably win:

STL - Perron, Blais, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Binnington, Brouwer, McEachern, Thomas, Sanford

VAN - Roussel, Miller, MacEwen, Motte

We're just not Jerky enough. Paging Jake Virtanen..... C'mon Jake, just pretend all of the Blues players are bouncers telling you to leave the Club. Get angry or passionate or whatever! Time for some push back.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We do not have our own Perron.  Roussel is nowhere near as good of a player as Perron.  

Perron has 550 career points, Roussel has 185.  Apples and oranges. 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Well maybe - just maybe it’s because all their players are in their primes and they are the better team - ever think about that!  Yet it’s TG fault and your solution is to bring in a bunch of AHLers and complain complain complain about everything. I hope I’m not talking to a kid if I am disregard everything I’ve ever said .   Peace out. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

What games have you been watching?  Our PK was the strongest part of our game for 3 out of the 4 games.  

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

What games have you been watching?  Our PK was the strongest part of our game for 3 out of the 4 games.  

That ended in a hurry didn’t it? When the blues figured out they could take us down low in our static box and drive the net using size mismatches 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well maybe - just maybe it’s because all their players are in their primes and they are the better team - ever think about that!  Yet it’s TG fault and your solution is to bring in a bunch of AHLers and complain complain complain about everything. I hope I’m not talking to a kid if I am disregard everything I’ve ever said .   Peace out. 

Ahh so now it’s because they are more mature players? That’s a cop out 

we can compete 

just need a plan 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I don't agree we're being crushed. The plan all year has been to push shots to the outside and let Marky stop what he can see. Its worked most of the time. 

But, we did get dominated in parts of last nights game for sure. We could have altered that a lot with better shots on Allen who didn't really get more than a handful of hard shots. 

our PK sucked for one night. Its not even a trend yet. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Green Building said:

You don't sign guys like Beagle to generate a pile of offense. PK, faceoffs, crash and bang forecheck a few shifts a game, and that's about it. He only scored 2 goals the whole of WSH's Cup run. 

He showed his value the 1st 3 games (and against the Wild) no problem, but tonight the Blues were a much better team.  

As for Sutter, we all know his regular seasons have been less than what we'd hoped, but he along with Motte were our best bottom 6 guys up until tonight, and Sutter was generating some really good chances that just didn't go his way. 

Unfortunately Beagle hasn't contributed any goals, neither has Motte. I would throw Roussel with them on a fourth line that just plays defence and hits the other team, and pisses them off. On the third I would go with Virtanen Sutter Gaudette in hopes to generate some speed through the neutral zone with all 3 able to score a nice goal individually, or as a unit with Gaud getting into areas to shoot. It would be really nice to see a healthy Tofolli but who knows where he's at.

Unfortunately we are at a real disadvantage that none of our top guys penalty kill (nor Virtanen or Gaudette) since that makes it hard to take Eriksson out of the line-up, which would be good since he just can't hit the net these days.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Can someone please let me how to block someone.  Yet again he/she/it is taking hostage of another PGT - where are the mods anyways.  Message me if this is possible thx.

Yeah I've had that guy blocked for a long time, just hover over his name and wait a second, the option will pop up :) 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I don't agree we're being crushed. The plan all year has been to push shots to the outside and let Marky stop what he can see. Its worked most of the time. 

But, we did get dominated in parts of last nights game for sure. We could have altered that a lot with better shots on Allen who didn't really get more than a handful of hard shots. 

our PK sucked for one night. Its not even a trend yet. 

So did the PP - I laugh at everyone who thinks the Blues would not have push back. We saw it the last two games and we need to adjust.

Lol!  Reading these comments.... calm down people.

First of all, it's a tied series 2-2.  It's not over until it's over.

Second of all, this is the defending Stanley Cup champions we're talking about.  They were also 1st place in the conference prior to Covid, and for many a favourite to repeat as champions.  The fact the Canucks are giving them a run for their money says a LOT about our young core here.  Wait until these Canucks hit their prime years!

Finally, this isn't supposed to be the year for this young Canucks core to win the Stanley Cup lol!  This is their first taste of the post season as a team.  It is the time to gain experience as to what it takes to win it all.  Playing a team that literally just won it all last year is PERFECT for their development. 

Take a breath and enjoy the ride.  Just be happy that the Canucks are playing, and just be happy that there is hockey to be watched right now. 

RELAX. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

OJ might get a turn as result which isn’t the worst thing - but yeah our RHD got a massive (literally and figuratively) boost with the Myers signing.   The same impact if Edler went down or Tanev for sure 

Well that's the thing, Edler went down, we have a few options at LD. Can't replace Edler completely, but OJ has that potential at least and who knows if he is given a shot. Rafferty is the next option at RD, but is he ready defensively? We need help 5v5. Benn has done his job decently, but we need that ability to move the puck up as well. I think I might consider dressing 7 dmen next game and maybe having Rafferty to start on defense and if he's struggling, then you bump him to a "forward" spot, one that is playing less than 10 minutes as is anyway. It would give more options to try on RD. Stecher could start as the forward as he has a little bit of a Biega style bite to his game and could probably get in on some forechecks.