The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Hell of a game by the Canucks from start to end and just a dominant performance in the face of adversity and lots of pressure by the Blues all season. Strong teams put away these elimination games, when you look back at Cup winners, what really decides them is how they perform in elimination games. I was worried the Blues would come out stronger but we absolutely walloped them.

Fair to say I think the key to this series was goal tending as it is with most. Last year, Binnington won them the Cup basically by himself. This year, he single handedly lost it. The Blues in the post game interviews were trying to defend him but he was straight up awful and made it easy for us. Yes, some of the goals were A-grade chances, but in the post season you have to be able to stop them. If Allen had started tonight it might have been different but thankfully they played their worst player, who really sunk their team after the Boeser goal. All were straight on shots, made it easy for the Canucks. 

This was a hard team to beat otherwise, they dominated us most of the time 5 on 5 but our special teams and goalie stole the show and hopefully they can do a number in Vegas. Tonight in particular full marks for our neutral zone play and forecheck which caused chaos and lead directly to goals.

I think beating the West's best team is nice but the Blues were struggling at the start. They did eventually arrive and gave us their all and we did bend, but our bounce back was impressive and something I don't think we even saw in 2011. This team's resilience is impressive. Give credit to the coaches, Markstrom and our leaders and veterans on this. While this game was a cake walk, Game 5 down 3-1 was a massive turning point. Whatever was said in that dressing room worked. 

Going forward, when the Canucks find themselves in trouble against Vegas, they can always look back to the turning points in this series where they literally out-played the best post-season team in the league.

Harsh they don't get long to celebrate or much of a break but this is a good confidence boost and momentum to ride off for everyone tonight. In particular I think that Boeser goal really fired him up.

• Vintage 3

30 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's totally inconsequential and has zero impact whatsoever. They've had a ton of games together, playing together, where they've both been invisible so what you're saying goes against the truth of the matter.

In the regular season?.... Virtanen scored 18 goals in a shortened season lol. He was basically a 20 goal scorer.   Guadette scored 12 in 52 games, that’s a 19 goal season in an 82 game schedule. I’d say that’s one productive invisible line.  In the playoffs this far Guadette had only played 1 game before he was benched.  They’ve scored 10 goals in 2 games with him in the lineup the last 2 games against the Blues.  They feed off each other, the Canucks feed of Gaudette youthful exuberance and I predict Gaudette and Virtanen will eventually end up playing on the same line at some time vs the Wild.  Good debate, keep it up. B)

Edited by Pure961089