The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Aug. 23, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

We weren't sharp today. I agree with green's take on the game. We missed connecting on passes that we normally make. Plays where I was expecting the team to transition up ice but we bobbled it or made a weak pass that got tipped or intercepted. 

I am curious as well as to whether this was due to the Vegas speed or just not being focused. I felt like our guys had enough time to make the plays but just didn't make them today. 

Looking forward to game 2. I am hoping to see a much  sharper team. This was not the team we saw in game 6 against the Blues. 

Im slightly disappointed that our leadership didn't rally the troops in the first intermission but again, playoffs are a marathon. Let's see how they come out in game 2.

Well said.   So far TG has had these guys ready to play every game - this would be the first that didn’t work out at all for us.   I’m 100% sure he will get the team back focused and at least coming out banging and with more energy tomorrow.  Some guys probably need some rest too.   Won’t be surprised at all to see a rotation start as soon as TT is back and minutes managed a little differently going forward too.   Motte is a guy that could be moved up too.   JV up LE down etc.    Getting Myers back would be great too.   Hopefully next game we get 5 PPs and then get one... that makes a huge difference in momentum too.  

We have a long list of guys that can play hero for us next game and throughout the series...really so far it’s a small list of guys who haven’t yet.   Not losing hope ever with this core.   We can beat these chumps.   Once they get their groove on we can beat anyone. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

What a display from Vegas. I hope the Canucks win the next one, but man I cannot find any flaws on this Knights team. 

Speed, size, skill, depth. They’re like the fully evolved version of what the Canucks team is trying to be.

It is great experience but I fully expect Vegas to win the series. I hope I’m wrong.

That’s easy to say - but we also were fully expected not to beat St Louis.   Vegas is a different animal then the first two teams we played that’s for sure - hopefully one game was enough for them to realize they are back to run and gun which was our bread and butter during the regular season when we were on.   We can easily match up with these guys (including Reaves) when it comes to the physical stuff - we’ve definitely proved that much going up against the champs and MIN.   Yes Vegas is good and I’m sure they are also hungry after last years debacle in game seven of the first round.   And they have a big advantage coming in just warmed up (which I have zero issue with - they earned that advantage in the regular season and if the roles were reversed would want it for sure).   

We are also good, dangerous and can play it any way we have too.    Getting TT and Myers back would put us on more of an even footing but we have to dig deep.  So far we’ve had lots of hero’s at different points - no reason that should stop yet.   

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Pretty good take on the game.   Loved his take on reactionary fans and how they aren’t real fans - a real fan is someone who wears their jersey after a loss.   Also liked how he pointed out Vegas fans ripping on Lehner and DeBoer even though Lehner is 9-1 for them and at least according to this guy, a better goalie then MAF.    Apparently other fans also rip on good coaches and good players too ha ha who would have thought that ha ha.  

Good comments on us not playing Vegas’s hitting game as well as just ignoring Reaves completely.   Thanks for posting.  

Edit:  Also like how he called out anyone making excuses for St Louis and invalidating us beating them somehow.   

Edited by IBatch

24 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Man what a beat down.was not impressed by Rousells antics during warmup.Theres absolutely no reason to give them any extra motivation whatsoever.Put it the rear view boys watch game tape and rest up.

The video above talked about that and how it reminded him of ten years ago Burrows and Keslers antics against CHI and how that always backfired and got them into the game.   Said Roussel just made it easier for Lehner because like Reaves he plays better and is more effective if he’s angry and engaged.   Vegas scouted us well and it worked.   Our turn to do the same. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Petey40 said:

https://streamable.com/2v7set

Green and Sutter trying to calm Hughes down on the bench, nice to see how much this group cares about eachother. 

Yep Green is such a scrub.  Gets us past two good teams built for the playoffs...and constantly roasted by two posters win or lose.  He’s the perfect coach for this young team.  This is the tightest team I’ve seen since the Quin days already.   That starts at the top.  Pina Colada’s next game hopefully. 

Rousel’s pre game and in game antics with Lehner accomplished nothing for us and became a rallying point for Vegas is a series that at that point hadn’t even started

not only that it turns the refs against us 

pre game we didn’t know how the series would shape up. We didn’t know if Lehner was going to pull a Binnington or if Reaves would be engaged. Chirping is usually a reaction move not a pre-emtive move. Anyone who has played the game competitively knows the smallest thing can solidify a team and become a rallying point. Roussel was that something

I don’t mind Roussel paling tough and hitting them but the chirping is what got this franchise hated by the nhl and very rarely does it help and almost all the time it hurts us. 

green does not let the team retaliate when someone takes down a star yet he allows that? Get control of the team Green.

last night was an embarrassment all round and Vegas got the last laugh 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, linden17 said:

This above is the classic over reaction that makes us look bad. Sloppy hockey, yes. But this is our 11th game in three weeks. Give the players and the coaching staff a bone every once in a while. Sheesh 

Pretty sure Roussel’s antics is what makes us “look bad”

and we wonder why nobody in the nhl loves us 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He's already been the coach to get us to the next level, seeing as how this is our first time being in the 2nd round in 9 years.

You think the second round constitutes the “next level” ?

you think our structure in place is a next level structure? 

we have the strongest roster we have have in 9 years and yet we play such random hockey 

2 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I’m guessing the condensed schedule is then looking to

a - keep Interest by having hockey on most days

b- pressue by networks

c- with a view to next season. The quicker the post season is done the quicker next season can start or at least the more time is given to work out/implement whatever that is.

i just wish that they have given 2 or 3 days of rather then straight into the next series

It's probably more to limit the time spent in the bubble.  It's taxing living in a bubble and being away from family - see Bowness' comments.  It's also expensive to maintain.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Pretty sure Roussel’s antics is what makes us “look bad”

and we wonder why nobody in the nhl loves us 

hmmm that’s a victim statement.   Fans “like that “ - the reactionary ones who freak out after every loss and hate on their coach and their goalie or whomever screwed up that game make us as a fanbase “look bad” way more then players like Roussel, Ott, Tikanen, Burrows or whatever pest a team may or may not have.   Roussel has done his job all playoffs so far / agree it backfired but this is making a mountain out of a molehill.  And at least he came to play unlike half the roster.   Watch the video analysis posted a page or so back - it broke the game down well and also talks about how hard fans have been on a good-great job in Debour and going with Lehner (who reactionary fans  are also hard on despite outplaying MAF and his 9–1 record).   

The only reason I haven’t called you out even more is because I’m worried I could be picking on a 12 year old. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

put in macewen gravovac   and   juolevi  in a game   size in for our bottom 6   and juolevi  in for fantenberg opens up crisper zone exits and outlet passes  id sit eriksson pearson and fantenberg a game  pearson needs to wake up hes a disappearing act  right now 

I'd certainly swap in Zack for Loui, but don't agree about Fanta.  I thought he was our best D.  Hughes and Tanev were owned all night, Edler looked old and slow, and Stech, bless his oversized heart, was just mismatched by the big bad Knights.  Fanta and Benn were pretty dependable, and are both big bodies that can hit and absorb a hit.  Not sure Juolevi is ready for that yet.  If we need better outlet passing I'd play Rafferty for a game with Eddie and sit Stech for one

Also thought Gaudette was our best forward.  He came with energy every shift, even when the game was out of reach, and does have good chemistry with the Rooster. Motte tried, but that was about it for the forwards in my opinion.  Off night for both of the top 2 lines 

But if we add MacEwen for Loui, who kills penalties.  Iirc Bailey was often the 2nd pk unit in Utica, and his size and speed would be a massive change in our look were he to be added.  But who would he replace?  Pearson was invisible, except for one hit ... Boeser is playing hurt, I'm sure, as I believe is Miller (still not fully recovered from the shot he blocked with his wrist  -  you can tell by his lack of aggression these last few games.  During the early play-in games, in the post whistle scrums, he can be seen pulling a player out, headlocking, etc etc.  Now he stands on the perimeter and I am convinced his hand/wrist is the reason)

Give Boeser a game off? Pearson?

650 postgame, Honey Badger said he wouldn't tinker, just get everyone to play 5% better, collectively.  That's prolly what Green will do (although he did shake things up a bit after the Minny game 1 shutout. - of course his hand was forced by the Ferland/Toffoli removal)

No answers - just questions

Edited by Googlie
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

So, they played the audio of Reaves clucking doing the chicken noises when Roussel came out of the box. Roose gets a midconduct and other penalties for his chirping, but Reaves can cluck like a chicken for the whole arena to hear and it's okay? I don't really know about that.

That was hilarious. Reaves clucking like a chicken was great tv.

Roussel shouldn't have gotten 10 for that but when it's 5-0 can't say I care.