The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penny wise- pound foolish

Rate this topic

lmm

When I was in about grade 3, the teacher asked a question, "if you have enough cookie dough to make 25 cookies, but your cookie sheet can only hold 20, how many sheets do you need to make all 25 cookies?

I am betting Bill Daly was in detention and missed the class.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/article-nhl-teams-battle-bubble-fatigue-as-playoffs-drag-on/

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press that the league is “actively trying to minimize the length” of the playoffs “in part due to the dynamics and constraints of ‘bubble life.‘”

That was evident Friday, when the NHL scheduled the second round of the playoffs to open before the first round was complete. And with the conference and Cup finals set for Edmonton, the two East finalists will likely have only two days to acclimate to their new surroundings upon travelling from Toronto.

“We will continue to pursue all ‘move up’ opportunities aggressively as we go forward,” Daly wrote.

this is my favorite part ^^^

the NHL started round 2 before round one was finished.

Almost make you wonder if the series was decided after game 5?

How many days can they actually shave off the tournament with this methodology, 4 maybe 5?

what if StL / Van went 7? 

would  they have had to play 3 games in three nights to catch up?

or would Vegas get to play game 1 without an opponent, so the series didn't  get too far behind the others?

what if Stl/Van went 7, then Van/Vegas went 7?

Some teams could be a whole series ahead, they will eventually have to wait.

Maybe as teams fall away, the NHL brain will invoke 2 period Double Headers,

That would get this pesky tournament over with.

Maybe a mercy rule, if one team is up by 3 at the end of the first, call it and go on to the next game

How about Overtime counts for 2 games

Git er Done NHL, be more creative

round 3-best of 3

get this thing over with, the players want to go home!!!

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

Aren't you a tad overreacting?

Personally, I like that they are trying to move the series up a bit.  I hate it in the regular playoffs when all the teams finish their series early but we're forced to wait due to NBC's or Sportsnet's wishes.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Aren't you a tad overreacting?

Personally, I like that they are trying to move the series up a bit.  I hate it in the regular playoffs when all the teams finish their series early but we're forced to wait due to NBC's or Sportsnet's wishes.

I didn't think I was over-rreacting, sarcasing maybe, but not over-reacting.

I was mostly making fun of Bill and the NHL.

You actually see starting the 2nd round before the first is done as valuable?

How?.

The NHL has a advantage, that none of its teams are hsaring venues with NBA teams, that is why games can be played whenever the NHL wants. I do not think it has much to do with Sportsnet. They have the draw back that long OT games cancel other games, but they are rare.

But serious question, how many days do you think they can subtract?

I don't see them being able to subtract any more than a day or two per round.  I like the momentum they have right now.  After 5 months with no hockey and no real hockey news, I am certainly not getting hockey fatigue yet.

And although it was possible, the 2nd round didn't actually start before the 1st round ended, so that's kind of a moot point.

• Cheers 1

Where is the "pound foolish" part?  

By tightening the schedule (which I'm not terribly in favor of, but as a viewer it does have some appeal for me)

Last year, the league waited 6 days from the end of the semis to the start of the SCF.  As the playoffs move onward, it increases the chance that the next round can start earlier, if more teams end early.  Depending on how it all plays out, they can save 1-2 weeks.

As a viewer, waiting almost a week for the next round to start can be boring (if you are a big enough fan) or helpful (if you are busy with other things and/or don't mid the break).

From the league or network perspective, waiting too long can lead to losing (primarily casual) viewers who move on to other things.  Someone loses money when that happens.

Then take the costs it takes to maintain the bubble.  Someone has to pay for the hotels... and the whole hotel, as well as everything else that is put inside the bubble.

A possible "pound foolish" could be increased injuries or degradation in play resulting from back-to-back games, but given how there is no air travel, that would reduce the impacts.

NBA for one has started the next round before the prior one was done.  Is it all that big a deal that the NHL is doing it now?  Meh.

I don’t see the big deal in having more teams play back to backs with one day off in between the two games. They’re not traveling back and forth so fatigue shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Even if it did become a deal, it’s the same for both teams. I guess an argument could be made for injured players but that’s just the nature of the beast this go around. Also I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have Vancouver and St. Louis play their game 7 on Saturday and have Colorado and Dallas start on the Sunday instead of having round two and one overlapping. Just seems terribly wonky.

16 hours ago, lmm said:

I didn't think I was over-rreacting, sarcasing maybe, but not over-reacting.

I was mostly making fun of Bill and the NHL.

You actually see starting the 2nd round before the first is done as valuable?

How?.

The NHL has a advantage, that none of its teams are hsaring venues with NBA teams, that is why games can be played whenever the NHL wants. I do not think it has much to do with Sportsnet. They have the draw back that long OT games cancel other games, but they are rare.

But serious question, how many days do you think they can subtract?

The NHL has had the 2nd round start before the end of the 1st round before this, so your point is moot.

I’ve also been waiting for some clarity on why the NHL is speeding along the SCP. 

It will be those inconsistencies that get people talking about the management of Sports Entertainment, again. 

We know it’s coming and probably not in our favour, so prepare the outrage mobs on CDC with their quips and be ready for entertainment. 

Yeah, grade 3, the best 10 years of my life...

The actual answer(s) to the cookie question is (pick one):

1.) 1 sheet, on the minimum side and assuming you don't care if some of the cookies get baked on the same sheet after the others are done.

2.) or 2 sheets, assuming you want to bake them all at the same time (20 or less on one sheet, 5 or more on the other, to make up the 25 total).

3.) or up to and including 25 sheets, assuming you want to bake each cookie on its own sheet. This also includes the potential loss of cookie dough to hungry kids, significant others, etc

This also assumes that the same amount of dough is spooned out for each cookie (25).

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1