The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]A plan to move Eriksson, while keeping all of Toffoli, Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Motte, Stecher, and Gaudette

[proposal]A plan to move Eriksson, while keeping all of Toffoli, Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Motte, Stecher, and Gaudette

1) Trade Boeser at the 2020 draft for a 2020 1st and a good prospect.     Not only does this clear $5,875,000, but it also allows us to recoup a 2020 1st lost in the Miller deal while also allowing us to recoup a good prospect lost in the Toffoli deal (Madden).   People might argue that the Canucks shouldn’t be focused on building up their prospect pool since we are leaving the rebuilding phase, but all good teams find a way to keep the pipeline rolling.  A lack of attention to the pipeline by the way, was ultimately screwed Mike Gillis and so it’s best that we don’t make that same mistake twice.  Some people may also argue that Jake Virtanen by himself will get you a 1st, but I’m not so sure.

2) Use the 2021 1st rounder as a sweetener to move Loui Eriksson (a.k.a. The Patrick Marleau deal).   Conditional 1st round pick + 7th rounder for a 2020 6th rounder.  If the first round pick becomes a top 10 pick, that pick becomes a 2022 1st rounder.  This clears 6 million in cap.   Some people may argue that Demko or Virtanen might be enough to move Eriksson in it’s entirety, but I don’t think it will.

3) Trade Jordie Benn for a draft pick.   This clears 2 million.

4) LTIR for Ferland.

5) Trade Baertschi at 50% retention (1,683,333 cap savings).    

6) Walk away from Josh Leivo + replaced by ELC contract 

7) Juolevi replaces Fantenberg

8) Possible trade of Sutter at 50% retention of Lind is ready.

2020-2021 line-up:

Miller-Horvat-Virtanen

Pearson-Pettersson-Toffoli 

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter (Lind)

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter (Lind)

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stecher 

Juolevi-Tanev

Rafferty

Markstrom

Demko

Podkolzin joins the team in April of 2021 to join us for what is hopefully the playoffs.

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin (Virtanen)

Pearson-Pettersson-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen (Podkolzin)

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Sutter (Lind)

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stecher 

Juolevi-Tanev

Rafferty

Markstrom

Demko

why not keep Boeser and move our 2021 1st instead with Loui? 

If we need to trade Brock I'd rather find a top 4 RHD to replace him, but tbh I don't want to give up on him particularly if Jake is the top line answer. 

Pearson-Petey-Toffoili

Miller-Bo-Brock 

Miller-Petey-Brock

Pearson-Bo-TT

are nice combo's to have. 

Edited by Robert Long

I suspect Benn would go unclaimed if put on waivers at the start of the season (might get claimed during the season as injuries to various teams happen).  $2 million for a meh #6 is a bit much to let alone pay AND give up a pick for.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

17 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

If we need to trade Brock I'd rather find a top 4 RHD to replace him, but tbh I don't want to give up on him particularly if Jake is the top line answer. 

Pearson-Petey-Toffoili

Miller-Bo-Brock 

Miller-Petey-Brock

Pearson-Bo-TT

Honestly part of me is wary that we become like the Sharks, e.g. if Markstrom becomes a mere mortal again or gets injured after his contract such that the team falters, when we know that he's the guy keeping us in this playoffs' games.  Losing that 1st might get us pretty screwed if the guns stop firing or the back end doesn't hold up as it should, plus agreed with others' comments about good teams retaining their 1st's to keep stocked up on youth.

39 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Pearson-Petey-Toffoili

Miller-Bo-Brock 

Miller-Petey-Brock

Pearson-Bo-TT

I don’t think the Canucks will risk not having BOTH a 2020 1st and a 2021 1st.     Even if a team is leaving the rebuilding phase and moving towards a competitive phase, you have to keep the pipeline rolling.   A failure to do so is how you fall off a cliff like the 2013-2014 Canucks did a.k.a. The Gillis era).  

Having a healthy pipeline of picks and prospects is one reason why teams like Detroit and San Jose remained a competitive playoff team for as long as they did.  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Honestly part of me is wary that we become like the Sharks, e.g. if Markstrom becomes a mere mortal again or gets injured after his contract such that the team falters, when we know that he's the guy keeping us in this playoffs' games.  Losing that 1st might get us pretty screwed if the guns stop firing or the back end doesn't hold up as it should, plus agreed with others' comments about good teams retaining their 1st's to keep stocked up on youth.

7 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I don’t think the Canucks will risk not having BOTH a 2020 1st and a 2021 1st.     Even if a team is leaving the rebuilding phase and moving towards a competitive phase, you have to keep the pipeline rolling.   A failure to do so is how you fall off a cliff like the 2013-2014 Canucks did a.k.a. The Gillis era).  

Having a healthy pipeline of picks and prospects is one reason why teams like Detroit and San Jose remained a competitive playoff team for as long as they did.  

you guys raise a good point about 2 years in a row of no 1st.... I do think Benning tries to recoup a 1st with Demko, or maybe a combo of Jake + prospects before moving Boeser. 

But @DarkIndianRises everything you proposed above is possible. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

you guys raise a good point about 2 years in a row of no 1st.... I do think Benning tries to recoup a 1st with Demko, or maybe a combo of Jake + prospects before moving Boeser. 

But @DarkIndianRises everything you proposed above is possible. 

I’m also of the belief that Benning will try to do the following:

1) Move Virtanen at the draft for a 1st rounder 

2) Try and use sweeteners other than a 2021 1st rounder to move Eriksson.

In both cases however, I think Benning will realize that there are no biters which will force his hand.

I’m also of the opinion that Benning wants to keep ALL of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli.   Benning won’t let Toffoli walk away so easily in my opinion due to the package that he gave up (Madden, etc.) and so losing Toffoli so soon would be a loss of assets.   

• Cheers 1

What possible sweetener could be used instead of a 1st round pick to move LE?  Nobody is going to bite on one of our non-blue chip prospects for a $6 million cap hit 35 year old 4th line winger.  I don't want to lose any of our blue chip prospects to dump his contract (sooner give up a 1st round pick as it'll likely be a mid-round 1st round pick)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m also of the belief that Benning will try to do the following:

1) Move Virtanen at the draft for a 1st rounder 

2) Try and use sweeteners other than a 2021 1st rounder to move Eriksson.

In both cases however, I think Benning will realize that there are no biters which will force his hand.

I’m also of the opinion that Benning wants to keep ALL of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli.   Benning won’t let Toffoli walk away so easily in my opinion due to the package that he gave up (Madden, etc.) and so losing Toffoli so soon would be a loss of assets.   

yeah I think it might be inevitable that Loui goes with a 1st. I'm holding out some hope tho that Detroit will take a package of Loui+Demko.

One exciting new wrinkle out of this playoff run is Petey looks really good between Pearson and Toffoli. So having that as a real possibility should help entice Toffoli to want to stay. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Robert Long said:

yeah I think it might be inevitable that Loui goes with a 1st. I'm holding out some hope tho that Detroit will take a package of Loui+Demko.

One exciting new wrinkle out of this playoff run is Petey looks really good between Pearson and Toffoli. So having that as a real possibility should help entice Toffoli to want to stay. 

Yeah that New 70’s line is pretty good.  I like to a lot.   More importantly though, I really like the combination of Miller and Horvat.   I think that line will continue to be a great match-up line for us and already has great size.   Just wait until Podkolzin gets there.  :-p

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Yeah that New 70’s line is pretty good.  I like to a lot.   More importantly though, I really like the combination of Miller and Horvat.   I think that line will continue to be a great match-up line for us and already has great size.   Just wait until Podkolzin gets there.  :-p

that line will have ridiculous possession numbers 

• Cheers 1

Just now, D-Money said:

Lost me here...

Fair enough.   That idea will lose a lot of people.    

I just think that it could be inevitable that we end up losing Boeser at some point anyways. Having all three of Toffoli, Boeser, and Podkolzin on that right side will be an unnecessary embarrassment of riches at some point, and atleast one of those guys will be used as trade bait to shore up another position.   

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Fair enough.   That idea will lose a lot of people.    

I just think that it could be inevitable that we end up losing Boeser at some point anyways. Having all three of Toffoli, Boeser, and Podkolzin on that right side will be an unnecessary embarrassment of riches at some point, and atleast one of those guys will be used as trade bait to shore up another position.   

We haven’t signed Toffoli yet. And Podkolzin, as promising as he has looked, still needs to come here and perform at the next level.

Virtanen is the guy that has to go.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

We haven’t signed Toffoli yet. And Podkolzin, as promising as he has looked, still needs to come here and perform at the next level.

Virtanen is the guy that has to go.

I hope Virtanen can land us a first but I’m not sure if Benning will be able to get that for JV.  

To Sens Boeser 

To Van NYI 1st & 2nd rd 2020 

To Devils Eriksson, Benn, rights to Virtanen & 2nd rd 2021

To Van  Van 1st rd 2020 

To Det Sutter 

To Van 3rd rd 2020

This clears around 15 mil in cap space and gets us some good picks 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What possible sweetener could be used instead of a 1st round pick to move LE?  Nobody is going to bite on one of our non-blue chip prospects for a $6 million cap hit 35 year old 4th line winger.  

I think you hit the nail on the head and answered your own question.   It will take a LOT.

Even I will admit that up until recent, I was living under a fool’s paradise that Demko or Virtanen would be enough to move Eriksson.   Unfortunately, I don’t think this is realistic.    I would love to be proven wrong and perhaps I will be, but I think only the following could realistically be used to move Eriksson:

-Podkolzin

-2021 1st.

Using Podkolzin as a sweetener would be extremely absurd since Podkolzin is a top 10 pick and is tracking to be an elite NHL player, and so that really only leaves our 2021 1st.    However, I can’t see Benning trading a 2021 1st unless he recoups a 2020 1st, and if Virtanen’s value has fallen to the point where he can’t land a 2020 1st, then that’s where Boeser would come in in my opinion.   You take that, and to the fact that Benning wants to re-sign ALL of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli, then the cap space has to come from somewhere.   Hence, my thought that Benning might try and move both Boeser and Eriksson.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Lost me here...

To be honest a line of Miller  Horvat  Podkolzin seems quite enticing.  Would be a nightmare to play against in the playoffs.  You keep Petey together with Pearson and Toffoli and that would make up your top 6 and also clear cap space to sign our UFA's.  And we'd get a pretty good player/prospect for Brock. 

If the right package comes along I'd definitely consider moving Brock...

• Upvote 1