The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I actually think Miller has had a poor series, despite the points.  He looks like he might be nursing an ailment of some kind

I think he's been unreal.

He's taken an average of 3 faceoffs a game this series - it's clear his wrist is severely limiting him - or he'd be at center - and taking a ton of draws (59.2% faceoffy guy - you don't move him to wing in the playoffs otherwise).

He also clearly can't get the mustard on his shots that he typically does - so he's morphed himself into almost exclusively a playmaker - and has better than an assist/game this series.

I'm almost shocked- and I think Sutter is also ailing - he too has gone from 15-17 faceoffs down to 0 in game 4 and only 6 last night when they were desperate to win draws - that the team has been able to hang in this series.  Last couple games there have been odd signs from Horvat as well - 75% ozone starts in game 4, and then last night, the first time in the series he was sub 50% on draws, after utterly dominating Vegas through 4 games....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think he's been unreal.

He's taken an average of 3 faceoffs a game this series - it's clear his wrist is severely limiting him - or he'd be at center - and taking a ton of draws (59.2% faceoffy guy - you don't move him to wing in the playoffs otherwise).

He also clearly can't get the mustard on his shots that he typically does - so he's morphed himself into almost exclusively a playmaker - and has better than an assist/game this series.

I'm almost shocked- and I think Sutter is also ailing - he too has gone from 15-17 faceoffs down to 0 in game 4 and only 6 last night when they were desperate to win draws - that the team has been able to hang in this series.  Last couple games there have been odd signs from Horvat as well - 75% ozone starts in game 4, and then last night, the first time in the series he was sub 50% on draws, after utterly dominating Vegas through 4 games....

he looks injured to me.  The will is there, but aside from points (which is obviously big), he hasn't been very effective for the better part of this series.  I suspect when it's all over we'll find he's got an issue of some kind.

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

Is this not a poor choice of words for the leaders of the BLM movement in the NHL???

With the George Floyd stuff so fresh and newsworthy....really a distasteful and ignorant choice of words.  Are they idiots over there (no need to answer)?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, drdeath said:

"step on their necks" way to read the room there Reilly Smith. 

Perfect chirp to receive.   Please continue to disrespect your opponent, Reilly.

Solid strategy to take a cue from Craig Berube.  Perhaps guarantee the win while you're at it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Win next game and we will be in their heads making G7 very winnable.

Is it just me or is Vegas using a lot of picks to move the puck effectively. That call on Rousell is garbage, The refs seem to be doing a Burrows on him. 

Great win. One more win that is all.

Whitecloud was trying to brush a pick but misread Mottes speed to go around him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Perfect chirp to receive.   Please continue to disrespect your opponent, Reilly.

Solid strategy to take a cue from Craig Berube.  Perhaps guarantee the win while you're at it.

For the record I wouldn't have had a problem with "We need to come out and kick their asses" which was the point Reilly was trying to make. Yes it's bulletin board material and yes it's cocky but i get that they felt they should have won last night so it's understandable.

My concern is what was Reilly even doing for the two day pause if he comes out and says "step on their necks" in a post George Floyd world?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, drdeath said:

"step on their necks" way to read the room there Reilly Smith. 

Utterly tone def sadly. 

I'm sure a meaningless retraction followed immediately by a PC explanation is forthcoming and Smith will continue in life as tone def as he began it.....

I wonder if the medical staff stand at attention whenever Whitecloud is on the ice. Get the stretcher ready boys, Whitecloud's back on. Talk about a clutz lol

Had me laughing a few times anyway, watching him fly through the air upside down, missing checks and flying into the bench. Good comedy from that guy. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Is it just me or is Vegas using a lot of picks to move the puck effectively. That call on Rousell is garbage, The refs seem to be doing a Burrows on him. 

Great win. One more win that is all.

Yep, I've been screaming at my TV about it.  They don't get called.  They also subtly trip (a lot) and hold the stick....which is how that high stick came to be.  Like a slingshot once he let go.  When they're "taking over" a lot of the times there's stuff behind the play helping with that.  Tying our guys up or putting them a step behind using dirty tactics rather than speed and positioning.  They're not as good if you take that crap out of the game.

Refs are turning a blind eye to it but the good thing is that, when it's NOT working, Vegas gets frustrated.   

6 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Great game for Demko.  Speculation about Markstrom can wait.

To give the Knights credit they are amazing at breaking up plays.  Such active sticks always intercepting passes and blocking shots.  Has frustrated our guys a lot.

Pettey took a beating last night.  I know he takes a bit every night but last night was ridiculous including some clear targeting of his head.

Bottom six really needs to step up.  Motte has been great but past that we need some support.  Sutter looked like skating in quicksand tonight.  Jake just looks like he isn't interested.  If Jake would play like most of the Knights play, fast in your-face hockey, it would make a huge difference.  I do wonder if lack of fitness is catching up to him as his acceleration just isn't what it is usually.

On to game six.  Lets hope for another great start from Thatcher.

Maybe Jake's fitness is not where it should be. Have to skate hard to keep up with these guys.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if the medical staff stand at attention whenever Whitecloud is on the ice. Get the stretcher ready boys, Whitecloud's back on. Talk about a clutz lol

Had me laughing a few times anyway, watching him fly through the air upside down, missing checks and flying into the bench. Good comedy from that guy. 

It's like there's a hockey game going on but wait....an Olympic gymnast is out on the ice.  I love it.  He kept hurting himself but damn if he didn't come back.  Damn it.

giphy.gif

Still kind of shaking my head at Demko's performance last night. You have to be very strong mentally to be able to focus like that for the biggest game of your career. 

Its too much to expect him to repeat that, but I see no reason why he can't have a strong game next time out. Our guys are going to have a lot more confidence in front of him too after that gem.