The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Proved Me Wrong

Rate this topic

CallAfterLife

Benning has made some mistakes but every GM has made their fair share. 

He hit TWO walk off home runs in the past 5 drafts. A lot of teams go 10+ years without ONE.

The only miss was tkachuk, but hey that would effect the Canucks drafting in the following years and maybe the Canucks don’t get a chance to take petey and hughes so I’ll take this reality over “what coulda been” gladly. 

he crushed it with finding perfect fits in the top 6 with miller and toffoli 

He’ll move some money this off season to alleviate some cap pressures 

Edited by billabong
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, messier's_elbow said:

Guys over at HF still saying Benning sucks. Benning getting the last laugh.

Half the the fun of this run is seeing the jackasses on HFBoards blow a gasket. The arguing goes on and on and on, bitching about every little piece of minutia and how any remnants of success were in spite of Benning and not because of him. Add in a heaping helping of hubris and the Dunning-Kruger effect and you've got HFCanucks.

Just shut up and enjoy the ride, people!

If the Canucks were to somehow win the Cup, I would personally pay to have a statue of Jim Benning erected outside Rogers Arena and dedicate it to y2canucks, MS, Bleach Clean and the like.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Watching JB in interviews, I can see that he is an intelligent and genuine person with integrity and character. The team he built has all his traits. This team is built from what was left off from our legendary Sedins, great characters, humble, integrity and hard working. As much as how an effective player matthew tkachuk is, he does not fit in with this team's culture and JB vision. I still think OJ will be a great player for us starting next season.

41 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Again he ain't perfect but this statement from Benning today says it all...

“I know I spent maybe a little more money (on veterans) to help those young players learn how to play the right way. But once they learn the right way to play and get this playoff experience, they’re going to do the right things. They’re always going to score a lot of points in this league. But there’s a difference between putting up a lot of points and not having success as a team, and putting up maybe not as many points but doing the right things to win.”

To all you Benning haters, this is why Toronto, Calgary, and Buffalo can't seem to get over the hump.  You have to insulate your young star players with plenty of vets that have been in the battles and won.  Win or lose I'm proud of Benning staying the course.  This team has the character of the 94' team with even more potential.  Just awesome!!

Go canucks go

:towel:

Ah!   5D chess game. So Benning purposely acquired and then overpaid veteran players who in his genius scouting mind knew they would underperform for those contracts. It was worth giving up all the developing prospects we'd have in our stable now, because these underperforming vets would help lower the over all talent level on the team with the younger superior talent coming in to make sure we didn't win too much, or make it to the playoffs too soon. Keep those upstart rookies from "putting up a lot of points", in order to "learn how to play the right way".  Brilliant!!!

:frantic:

36 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Again he ain't perfect but this statement from Benning today says it all...

“I know I spent maybe a little more money (on veterans) to help those young players learn how to play the right way. But once they learn the right way to play and get this playoff experience, they’re going to do the right things. They’re always going to score a lot of points in this league. But there’s a difference between putting up a lot of points and not having success as a team, and putting up maybe not as many points but doing the right things to win.”

To all you Benning haters, this is why Toronto, Calgary, and Buffalo can't seem to get over the hump.  You have to insulate your young star players with plenty of vets that have been in the battles and won.  Win or lose I'm proud of Benning staying the course.  This team has the character of the 94' team with even more potential.  Just awesome!!

Go canucks go

:towel:

Was just coming in to post this quote. 

A big part of my belief in Benning has been that he’s been working at this his entire tenure with the Canucks.  Before JT Miller we had Ryan Miller.  A warrior like Dorsett.  A super fun season of Thomas Vanek.  A constant stream of vets to maintain some level of internal competition every camp. Detractors focused on the contracts and “asset management” but ignored the heart of the team:did the group and young developing players play hard / the right way?  Was there a divide between a few “stars” who just wanted to put up points and the rest of the team? Aside from the Jake/McCann rookie blips, I haven’t heard of any drama with the club.  And those two were promptly checked by vets like the Twins and Burrows IIRC.

It’s not just a matter of having one or two vets as “mentors” - you need to keep enough hard working players around to really shape a team’s identity.  I have no doubt guys like Brock, Petey and Hughes would have been committed regardless, but what a blessing that they didn’t have to come in and change a toxic culture - they could just focus on playing (and maybe adding a bit of swagger, if anything). 

It was hard to measure “winning environment” as the team still had a poor record.. but in retrospect that was due to a sheer lack of talent and injures (seriously,  check some late season rosters during the down years).  When healthy they always competed even with playoff teams but would run out of steam down the stretch.  It’s no surprise to me that now that we have depth/talent to compete and survive a few injuries we’re playing with the best teams in the league. 

As a final thought, sometimes I see fans wistfully pining for the days of Gilman/Gillis and their cap management... but they benefitted from a team who were willing to take a little less to remain competitive.  I think it was Burr or Kes who got their hands slapped by the PA for saying so in an interview.   I could see something similar happening again - maybe not Burrows-level-bargain but some deals that are fair to the team and the player rather than record-setting mega deals.  Could be a positive side effect of this little run!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Ah!   5D chess game. So Benning purposely acquired and then overpaid veteran players who in his genius scouting mind knew they would underperform for those contracts. It was worth giving up all the developing prospects we'd have in our stable now, because these underperforming vets would help lower the over all talent level on the team with the younger superior talent coming in to make sure we didn't win too much, or make it to the playoffs too soon. Keep those upstart rookies from "putting up a lot of points", in order to "learn how to play the right way".  Brilliant!!!

:frantic:

Didn't say that it has been perfect e.g.) Eriksson, Gudbranson (even though he saved this one by getting Pearson).  But give me an example (salary cap era) of a team that has keep their picks developed their prospects, let them mature until they're ready for the big show... Then let go of their overpaid or underpaid vets to make room for the kids and win it all?  The only team I can think of is the Penguins first cup and even, they had some solid not cheap vet presents in key positions.

Look, Benning is using a model similar to the 09' Blackhawks.  The money went to the vets on that team too.

Toronto's plan suck... So does Buffalos and Edmontons.  The kids no matter how good they are, can't do it alone. 

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Was just coming in to post this quote. 

A big part of my belief in Benning has been that he’s been working at this his entire tenure with the Canucks.  Before JT Miller we had Ryan Miller.  A warrior like Dorsett.  A super fun season of Thomas Vanek.  A constant stream of vets to maintain some level of internal competition every camp. Detractors focused on the contracts and “asset management” but ignored the heart of the team:did the group and young developing players play hard / the right way?  Was there a divide between a few “stars” who just wanted to put up points and the rest of the team? Aside from the Jake/McCann rookie blips, I haven’t heard of any drama with the club.  And those two were promptly checked by vets like the Twins and Burrows IIRC.

It’s not just a matter of having one or two vets as “mentors” - you need to keep enough hard working players around to really shape a team’s identity.  I have no doubt guys like Brock, Petey and Hughes would have been committed regardless, but what a blessing that they didn’t have to come in and change a toxic culture - they could just focus on playing (and maybe adding a bit of swagger, if anything). 

It was hard to measure “winning environment” as the team still had a poor record.. but in retrospect that was due to a sheer lack of talent and injures (seriously,  check some late season rosters during the down years).  When healthy they always competed even with playoff teams but would run out of steam down the stretch.  It’s no surprise to me that now that we have depth/talent to compete and survive a few injuries we’re playing with the best teams in the league. 

As a final thought, sometimes I see fans wistfully pining for the days of Gilman/Gillis and their cap management... but they benefitted from a team who were willing to take a little less to remain competitive.  I think it was Burr or Kes who got their hands slapped by the PA for saying so in an interview.   I could see something similar happening again - maybe not Burrows-level-bargain but some deals that are fair to the team and the player rather than record-setting mega deals.  Could be a positive side effect of this little run!

Excellent take... Couldn't have said it better myself.  ::D

Enjoy the game win or lose!

• Cheers 1

On 9/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, iceman64 said:

A fluke? Oh yeah.. sorry I forgot this team is full of useless players, especially that totally useless Petey.. good grief.. rebuild time again! 

Where you get the idea that there are useless players i guess your personal opinion and it doesn't change the facts.

It was great to see this group function in the playoffs, I kinda thought they might ake a dent even when I didn't think they would even make the show all those bottom 6 contracts looked to be a little bit of an upgrade on some other team and could make a difference, which they did vs Minn. and StL.

BTW I have been on the Demko wagon long before now, not only his play but his impact on the cap and expansion.

Unfortunately I think Benning is trading hm

On 9/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, CallAfterLife said:

I'm not trying to knock the Kesler trade. I know Benning was ultimately hampered by Kesler's NMC and the lack of NHL ready prospects that ultimately caused him to accept Bonino, Sbisa and the 24th OA in return. I'm just acknowledging that Theodore has been amazing in these playoffs and it's unfortunate that Benning couldn't have brought him home. 

Chayka wasn't exactly spending his own money though was he? The point being is that the Canucks could have use a Chychrun type to back up Hughes. It's been far too easy for Vegas to shut the Canucks offence down when Hughes is on the bench. 

I have a long list of mistakes that I think Benning has made. But it's not exactly a stretch to say that the Canucks are arguably the best team in Canada and will likely continue to be in the years ahead. 

Benning signed Boeser to a fair deal with the understanding that Boeser could prove that he was worth what he was initially asking for. And we don't know what Hughes and Pettersson will ask for next year. And we especially don't know what Horvat will ask for in the next 3 years. 

Will some hard decisions have to be made this summer? Yes. Might the team struggle in the next couple of years until a few contracts can be cleared and some young players step in under ELC's? Yes. But the Canucks don't have a long-term unmanageable cap situation. 

I won't even go back to the beginning and all the mistakes and bad judgement errors individually.

Cumulatively they have created a huge mess for the next two+ years. Wishes won't solve  the hard cap issues or the fact that Benning has already set the market for new contracts over the next two years. So many fans get hung up on avv cap hit that they miss the actual contract numbers.

Here is an example, Boeser's next contract is atleast 8.25 mil per year, in a known flat cap period.

So what is known as facts?

Boeser's next salary and cap hit and the salary cap limit.

Those two thing alone will have a huge negative impact on the team.

Horvat will want Boeser type money

Hughes and Pettersson will want Boeser type money if not more.

Tanev will want a raise.

If the Canucks are smart, they keep Demko, let Markstrom go., they save over 2 mil in a cap hit and open up a protection spot in the expansion draft that they can use.

These playoffs were fantastic but like so many of the regular season games winning was on the back of the goalie, counting on the goalies stealing more than just a few games.

Why

Benning has to go? Because he represents many contract promises and with him gone the new guy can clean house without the baggage of broken promises and get the cap under control. Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, could be moved with retention, Demko's playoff performance would ease letting Markstrom go, trading the market setter, Boeser, aliviates contract issues in the future, especially when there are comparisons.

Vegas has shown that losing players like these can be replaced.

It means a step backwards, maybe not as big but no matter what anyone says these playoff rounds were a fluke, if not explain Chicago, Montreal and Arizona's presence.

And don't start with "points percentage" stuff, this is first time in 100 years that that has ever been used.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:42 PM, peaches5 said:

It's not one good game. It is an elimination game with the season on the line and he was an absolute rock. Markstrom has had 15 games? And not once did he look anywhere near as good as what Demko did for 60 minutes. We need cap space. Throwing excess money at Markstrom is a huge mistake when Demko looks to be ready to take the reins. We are not throwing away anymore picks. Take the money you save from Markstrom get a Dman or a forward and move on. 

I think Demko is the future also however he did not play in the playoffs up to that point and would have been fresh. Maybe that was an advantage. Having said that he played very well. I would like to see us keep both but if Markstrom comes looking for more than 6 I would have to say we say thank you very much and move on. We have depth in the organization in goal. If we cant sign JM then we have a few more dollars to sign Toffoli or Tanev and move on.

19 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Where you get the idea that there are useless players i guess your personal opinion and it doesn't change the facts.

It was great to see this group function in the playoffs, I kinda thought they might ake a dent even when I didn't think they would even make the show all those bottom 6 contracts looked to be a little bit of an upgrade on some other team and could make a difference, which they did vs Minn. and StL.

BTW I have been on the Demko wagon long before now, not only his play but his impact on the cap and expansion.

Unfortunately I think Benning is trading hm

I won't even go back to the beginning and all the mistakes and bad judgement errors individually.

Cumulatively they have created a huge mess for the next two+ years. Wishes won't solve  the hard cap issues or the fact that Benning has already set the market for new contracts over the next two years. So many fans get hung up on avv cap hit that they miss the actual contract numbers.

Here is an example, Boeser's next contract is atleast 8.25 mil per year, in a known flat cap period.

So what is known as facts?

Boeser's next salary and cap hit and the salary cap limit.

Those two thing alone will have a huge negative impact on the team.

Horvat will want Boeser type money

Hughes and Pettersson will want Boeser type money if not more.

Tanev will want a raise.

If the Canucks are smart, they keep Demko, let Markstrom go., they save over 2 mil in a cap hit and open up a protection spot in the expansion draft that they can use.

These playoffs were fantastic but like so many of the regular season games winning was on the back of the goalie, counting on the goalies stealing more than just a few games.

Why

Benning has to go? Because he represents many contract promises and with him gone the new guy can clean house without the baggage of broken promises and get the cap under control. Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, could be moved with retention, Demko's playoff performance would ease letting Markstrom go, trading the market setter, Boeser, aliviates contract issues in the future, especially when there are comparisons.

Vegas has shown that losing players like these can be replaced.

It means a step backwards, maybe not as big but no matter what anyone says these playoff rounds were a fluke, if not explain Chicago, Montreal and Arizona's presence.

And don't start with "points percentage" stuff, this is first time in 100 years that that has ever been used.

My original post wasn't about Benning and his ability to manage cap space. It was about everything he said above. 

Benning has basically diagnosed the problem with teams like Toronto and Edmonton. 

Vegas absolutely dominated the Canucks. But the Canucks played with pride and grit and a real team first mentality. They were able to give themselves an opportunity to win, not solely because of Markstrom and Demko, but also because of the way the players played in front of them. The Canucks weren't getting many chances in the offensive zone and that didn't make players like Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser etc lazy on defence. 

Say whatever you want about the cap and contracts but this team was able to take a Cup favourite to game 7 when they were down 3 games to 1. Maybe that's just a meaningless victory to you but it's not to me. That's the type of thing that will effect the core players on this team well after those bloated contracts are cleared. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, CallAfterLife said:

I know I spent maybe a little more money (on veterans) to help those young players learn how to play the right way. But once they learn the right way to play and get this playoff experience, they’re going to do the right things. They’re always going to score a lot of points in this league. But there’s a difference between putting up a lot of points and not having success as a team, and putting up maybe not as many points but doing the right things to win.”

My original post wasn't about Benning and his ability to manage cap space. It was about everything he said above. 

Benning has basically diagnosed the problem with teams like Toronto and Edmonton. 

Vegas absolutely dominated the Canucks. But the Canucks played with pride and grit and a real team first mentality. They were able to give themselves an opportunity to win, not solely because of Markstrom and Demko, but also because of the way the players played in front of them. The Canucks weren't getting many chances in the offensive zone and that didn't make players like Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser etc lazy on defence. 

Say whatever you want about the cap and contracts but this team was able to take a Cup favourite to game 7 when they were down 3 games to 1. Maybe that's just a meaningless victory to you but it's not to me. That's the type of thing that will effect the core players on this team well after those bloated contracts are cleared. 

I am not sure that being rag dolled like that for 4 out of 7 games was a huge inspiration for all the young guys even some of the vets disappeared , Toffili, Pearson, Sutter, Either they mailed it in or the young Canucks just learned how much more this team needs.

Yes it was experience but Benning is just taking advantage of something that was unlikely to happen this year

Playing right is being out shot by over a 100 shots in 3 games?,

Game 7 was ALL Demko, so was 5 and 6. One player, sure he is on a team but they were defeated in the end, it is demoralizing to be domnated so many times.

They don't remember the good from Minn or StL, they will remember the can of wup arse Vegas opened on them.

I guess there was no way Benning was ever going to say they were lucky to get in because of the Covid or anything similar.

Demko was great, Markstrom stole games too but it must be somewhat embarrassing to be that badly out played and dominated. If Benning cannot see that, why is he even sitting up there? He should be poster on this forum.

The team's limits were reached and they should have been noted, not praised or excused, just noted, without the fans in the seats his job is solely to finish the rebuild, one job only now, one worry only now, no distractions and no excuses to take months off on the ranch doing nothing, he has to recoup 15 mil in cap space and deal with 15 contracts.

So far this season his grade for contracts is a huge 0%, for the whole season and a few extra months, more than a year since he negotiated or signed a contract

Edited by Lazurus

22 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Now, I know what we need, improve our breakout offense when hemming in our own zone.  More first pass defenceman is sorely needed to combat the Golden Knights speed to relieve the pressure.

Good news is we have Juolevi and Rathbone kicking at the door who are great at that first outlet pass.

Edited by 24K PureCool

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

I am not sure that being rag dolled like that for 4 out of 7 games was a huge inspiration for all the young guys even some of the vets disappeared , Toffili, Pearson, Sutter, Either they mailed it in or the young Canucks just learned how much more this team needs.

Yes it was experience but Benning is just taking advantage of something that was unlikely to happen this year

Playing right is being out shot by over a 100 shots in 3 games?,

Game 7 was ALL Demko, so was 5 and 6. One player, sure he is on a team but they were defeated in the end, it is demoralizing to be domnated so many times.

They don't remember the good from Minn or StL, they will remember the can of wup arse Vegas opened on them.

I guess there was no way Benning was ever going to say they were lucky to get in because of the Covid or anything similar.

Demko was great, Markstrom stole games too but it must be somewhat embarrassing to be that badly out played and dominated. If Benning cannot see that, why is he even sitting up there? He should be poster on this forum.

The team's limits were reached and they should have been noted, not praised or excused, just noted, without the fans in the seats his job is solely to finish the rebuild, one job only now, one worry only now, no distractions and no excuses to take months off on the ranch doing nothing, he has to recoup 15 mil in cap space and deal with 15 contracts.

So far this season his grade for contracts is a huge 0%, for the whole season and a few extra months, more than a year since he negotiated or signed a contract

That is because he wants to see what the team has in the playoffs before making any moves. 

You are gripping over nothing. 

The point about playing the right way is less about outplaying the other team, that ain't gonna happen with this team's current skill level or else we be talking about going to the WCF and finals right now. The point is to commit to back check and defense instead of drifting at the blue line waiting to cherry pick pucks and at that front, the vets did their job and the team was successful at defending. We can see the fruits with how ferocious Pettersson was in his own zone.

You are asking for the sky and frankly we are just not there yet. Grip over this is the team does not improve or regress two years from now cause JB ain't getting fired any time soon.

54 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is because he wants to see what the team has in the playoffs before making any moves. 

You are gripping over nothing. 

The point about playing the right way is less about outplaying the other team, that ain't gonna happen with this team's current skill level or else we be talking about going to the WCF and finals right now. The point is to commit to back check and defense instead of drifting at the blue line waiting to cherry pick pucks and at that front, the vets did their job and the team was successful at defending. We can see the fruits with how ferocious Pettersson was in his own zone.

You are asking for the sky and frankly we are just not there yet. Grip over this is the team does not improve or regress two years from now cause JB ain't getting fired any time soon.

Be realistic.

Are you  saying he knew last September they were going to the playoffs?, Go back a little further even then, it has been 16 months since his last contract signing.

IMO anything that happened THIS covid shortened and rule changes season is a one off. If they had played even 4 more games or the league decided to only to 16 teams there would have been a good chance they would have been watching from day one.

Are you saying Benning is able or capable of making 15 contract negotiations, possible 4 or five trades and having all other GM's agree, in less than 6 weeks? It was his plan to overload the deals and compress his choices to be frantic decisions?

He has to trim more than 15 mil off his current cap hit. Now Boeser, Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom get the team to have enough to deal with the rest.

His concentration should be on trading Boeser and his contract.

Ottawa might deal with SJ's first, that would be a coup, NJ has multiple first's, Ottawa, Buffalo, NJ and Minnesota should be targeted for a Boeser deal. All those teams' have cap space and multiple 1rst round picks. Ottawa might think giving up a 5th pick is worth instant improvement

Buffalo might deal Dylan Cozens and Ristolianen for Juloevi and a scoring winger to play with a frustrated Eichel , the Canucks then deal the rights for Stecher for a late pick

NJ could think a Boeser for the Boqvist, Canuck 1rst with a 2022 2nd is a deal

If Benning does deals like that then yea he would prove me wrong but I doubt he is capable because he has not made any good trades with the one exception of Miller.

Edited by Lazurus

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Be realistic.

Are you  saying he knew last September they were going to the playoffs?, Go back a little further even then, it has been 16 months since his last contract signing.

IMO anything that happened THIS covid shortened and rule changes season is a one off. If they had played even 4 more games or the league decided to only to 16 teams there would have been a good chance they would have been watching from day one.

Are you saying Benning is able or capable of making 15 contract negotiations, possible 4 or five trades and having all other GM's agree, in less than 6 weeks? It was his plan to overload the deals and compress his choices to be frantic decisions?

He has to trim more than 15 mil off his current cap hit. Now Boeser, Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom get the team to have enough to deal with the rest.

His concentration should be on trading Boeser and his contract.

Ottawa might deal with SJ's first, that would be a coup, NJ has multiple first's, Ottawa, Buffalo, NJ and Minnesota should be targeted for a Boeser deal. All those teams' have cap space and multiple 1rst round picks. Ottawa might think giving up a 5th pick is worth instant improvement

Buffalo might deal Dylan Cozens and Ristolianen for a scoring winger to play with a frustrated Eichel and Juloevi, the Canucks then deal the rights for Stecher for a late pick

NJ could think a Boeser for the Boqvist, Canuck 1rst with a 2022 2nd is a deal

If Benning does deals like that then yea he would prove me wrong but I doubt he is capable because he has not made any good trades with the one exception of Miller.

Your the one not being realistic. With our cap issues, it is not smart to sign anyone until the season is done and have a complete picture. 

And you are a fool if you think JB is just sitting back not doing anything. All GMs even the bad ones start planning for the following season midway through a season and start exploratory conversations with other GMs on trades. 

One thing to know that the values of all of our players has improved all amongst GM and Benning will target to get what he wants rather than starting from the position of weakness.  He can afford to leverage some of the trades with value for value, rather than overpayments to get what he wants.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Your the one not being realistic. With our cap issues, it is not smart to sign anyone until the season is done and have a complete picture. 

And you are a fool if you think JB is just sitting back not doing anything. All GMs even the bad ones start planning for the following season midway through a season and start exploratory conversations with other GMs on trades. 

For the last 16 months with no NHL contract signings and 15 players needing new deals and not knowing the cap would be frozen.

Yep, not smart to sign early, wait for them to get to the conference finals when their value skyrockets and then try to make deals with FA's, yep, wait until all the FA's get past FA day and then compete with the rest to the league with the team in cap trouble.

For sure he knew the team was in cap trouble 16 months ago and then adding to it by trading a 2nd for another FA rental so all the more reason to start doing cap friendly deals, at least one or two of the 15 he needs to do now.

That JB has almost done nothing for the last 16 months, with the exception of the Toffoli deal, proves to me there is some limitations now. Only 8 clause contracts

• Haha 1