The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hornqvist to Panthers

Squamfan

Sounds like people are putting too much personal bias into the thought process of this trade.

Matheson is 26 years old. He averaged 18+ mins a night this past regular season and was following his career trajectory of being a 25-30 point physical dman. He may have fallen out of favour in the playoffs, but that doesn't make him dead weight. He was traded for a player that is 33 and has a higher cap hit than Matheson and has injury concerns to the point where they wanted insurance on his contract. So Pittsburgh got younger and saved cap.

Matheson's contract problem was the term, but he's young enough to bit have it be an overwhelming concern. I don't know how one can compare his contract as being unmoveable in consideration with Eriksson.

Yes we don't like Matheson for what he had done, but he is better value than what people give him credit for.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

If matheson is moveable than eriksson has options 

Matheson is really not a good dman on a scary long contract. I heard his leg fell off and both elbows are permalocked into a ninety degree angle. With all this, he still has more value than Loui Eriksson. 

• Like 2

Rossi:

The Penguins have been shopping Hornqvist, but hadn’t found many takers for what Pittsburgh PG Jim Rutherford viewed as a fair return. Matheson’s contract length is of no concern for Rutherford, but the Penguins did push for the Panthers to retain some salary, so as to preserve room for free agent options. Rutherford thinks he can quickly move a left-handed defenseman if Matheson is ultimately acquired.

29 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I did not like Mathesons play at all and this has nothing do with bias. I was thinking he was a possible Seattle pick-up. Florida dodged a bullet here.

Lol even Florida fans on hfboards were hating on Matheson and saying "bullet dodged" when they got Hornqvist for him.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I did not like Mathesons play at all and this has nothing do with bias. I was thinking he was a possible Seattle pick-up. Florida dodged a bullet here.

Seattle are allowed to pick upcoming UFAs and can then just let them walk or go for a cheaper AHL level player.  Better option than taking on a bad contract.  

7 hours ago, mll said:

Seattle are allowed to pick upcoming UFAs and can then just let them walk or go for a cheaper AHL level player.  Better option than taking on a bad contract.  

My point was he is a top 4 dman signed longer term even if he is a poor top 4 dman Seattle might take a chance on him as he is young and could turn it around and they could afford to do that as an expansion team.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks for all your very good content.

This one I do not understand; care to clarify?

Upcoming UFAs can be taken in expansion - they'll be considered as the pick for their team.  Only 20 of the 30 players need to be under contract for the upcoming season - the other 10 can be either RFAs or UFAs.  

Last time Vegas took Engelland from Calgary - he was a UFA.  It's Vegas that then signed him to an extension but could have let him walk.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, Teemu Selänne said:

Rossi:

The Penguins have been shopping Hornqvist, but hadn’t found many takers for what Pittsburgh PG Jim Rutherford viewed as a fair return. Matheson’s contract length is of no concern for Rutherford, but the Penguins did push for the Panthers to retain some salary, so as to preserve room for free agent options. Rutherford thinks he can quickly move a left-handed defenseman if Matheson is ultimately acquired.

was wondering which guy he intends to move.

they have DuMoulin and Pettersson - imo both better than Matheson - and Jack Johnson, the obvious candidate they'll probably try to dump now.  How "quickly" / easily that will be, though...we'll see (with 3 x 3.25 million remaining).  Might make a few teams better at depth LHD, but so would a lot of candidates on the UFA and trade markets....

And for people assuming this deal indicates that they probably won't be pursuing Tanev - that imo is a misread.

Schultz is expiring - the Pens have Letang and Marino - but probably/almost certainly still look to upgrade over Ruhwedel.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

they have DuMoulin and Pettersson - imo both better than Matheson - and Jack Johnson, the obvious candidate they'll probably try to dump now.  How "quickly" / easily that will be, though...we'll see (with 3 x 3.25 million remaining).  Might make a few teams better at depth LHD, but so would a lot of candidates on the UFA and trade markets....

And for people assuming this deal indicates that they probably won't be pursuing Tanev - that imo is a misread.

Schultz is expiring - the Pens have Letang and Marino - but probably/almost certainly still look to upgrade over Ruhwedel.

Yea, I imagine he'll try to move JJ. I'm having a really hard time predicting whether this will be a super busy off-season or a super docile one because no one is sure what is going on haha. But Rutherford seems to have expressed that Dumoulin and Pettersson are untouchables.

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sounds like none.  And doesn't sound like they are pursuing Tanev either - I've posted that interview in the other thread.

This was Rutherford yesterday in a radio interview.   Sounds like their D-corps going into next season is set.

Bombulie has summary of the interview in Trib live - extracts below:

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-rutherford-dumoulin-pettersson-wont-be-traded-johnson-must-compete-for-spot/ 

In a thorough, candid discussion, Rutherford said Brian Dumoulin and Marcus Pettersson will not be traded, newly acquired Mike Matheson will play on his natural left side, Jack Johnson will have to compete for the sixth defenseman’s role, and no free agents will be added to the mix.[...] Rutherford identified the right-handed Chad Ruhwedel as Johnson’s top competition for the job.

Rutherford also said he does not plan to be active in free agency, even if he were able to free up enough cap space to do so.

“I don’t see that happening,” Rutherford said. “We could possibly do a free agent that slips through the cracks, but it won’t be one of the big guys in the first 48 hours.”

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yea, I imagine he'll try to move JJ. I'm having a really hard time predicting whether this will be a super busy off-season or a super docile one because no one is sure what is going on haha. But Rutherford seems to have expressed that Dumoulin and Pettersson are untouchables.

I find this a curious move.

It gives them 8+ million of overlapping 3LHD - and doesn't exactly enhance his leverage if hoping to dump JJ... I'm not sure whose contract I'd rather retain - MM or JJ...not obvious imo.  Obviously he believes they can rehab Matheson's career - but I heard this sentiment from Burkie last night - that D on bad teams tend to look bad - however is/was Florida a 'bad team'?  (they had 4 less pts this season than the SCFinalist Stars...)  I guess I'm not a 'believer' in Rutherford - and I'm also not sure I believe in Matheson (not EP 'bias' - which is irrelevent in a deal between Pitts/Fla) - I sense that Matheson has a bit of what Ben Hutton struggles with - perhaps the most important 'muscle' doesn't quite fuel to toolbox.

A lateral move that shifts a bit of depth/cap to their blueline - in itelf might make sense for them - but does it improve them?  Maybe not a big deal - they still have the cap to go out and add RHD, at least depth, but to do this this early in the market is what I find a bit odd, and to do so to bring in another LHD...

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Sounds like none.  And doesn't sound like they are pursuing Tanev either - I've posted that interview in the other thread.

This was Rutherford yesterday in a radio interview.   Sounds like their D-corps going into next season is set.

Bombulie has summary of the interview in Trib live - extracts below:

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-rutherford-dumoulin-pettersson-wont-be-traded-johnson-must-compete-for-spot/ 

In a thorough, candid discussion, Rutherford said Brian Dumoulin and Marcus Pettersson will not be traded, newly acquired Mike Matheson will play on his natural left side, Jack Johnson will have to compete for the sixth defenseman’s role, and no free agents will be added to the mix.[...] Rutherford identified the right-handed Chad Ruhwedel as Johnson’s top competition for the job.

Rutherford also said he does not plan to be active in free agency, even if he were able to free up enough cap space to do so.

“I don’t see that happening,” Rutherford said. “We could possibly do a free agent that slips through the cracks, but it won’t be one of the big guys in the first 48 hours.”

Sounds like a lot of mixed messages out of Pittsburgh.  It's poker season, so why not.   Evidently none of it is worth taking to any banks.

'We're going hard after Tanev' - as has been suggested previously = not the best strategic approach to free agency/keeping terms reasonable.  Now he's talking down the frenzy. 

I read it all with a grain of salt, including Rutherford's latest.