The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitri Zlodeev | C

Didn't realize he was so big ... 6 feet 3.5 inches and 205 lbs ... that's taller and heavier than Malkin !!!

(Hockey db lists him as 5' 11" .... I wonder if this is another Russian inflated stat like Podkolzin's)

Edited by Googlie
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Didn't realize he was so big ... 6 feet 3.5 inches and 205 lbs ... that's taller and heavier than Malkin !!!

(Hockey db lists him as 5' 11" .... I wonder if this is another Russian inflated stat like Podkolzin's)

That was the first thing I noticed as well.

Would be wonderful news, if true. And definitely not impossible for someone to have a dramatic growth spurt at age 18/19 (I even grew about two inches at that age) so it’s possible he’s really shot up over the past year. He has looked bigger to me than 5’11”, but I’m not sure about the 6’3”-6’4”.

I’m thinking it’s most likely a misprint.

I can’t imagine this would be the first time we’d hear about him growing a full 12cm taller (or adding 10kg), if indeed he’d had that drastic a change in his height and weight over the past year. 

EDIT: If you look at some of his celebration videos from winning the MHL videos a few months back, he looks decidedly average height.

Like this one (karaoke tweet). You’d kind of expect a 6’4” guy would be towering over everyone else on that stage:

The 93kg seems a bit more possible, however. Z definitely looks like he’s added some muscle:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Yeah - I went from 16th birthday to 18th birthday from 6'3" to 6'6" (then added almost 1/2" subsequently, to top out at 199 cms) so is certainly possible.  Weight seems to have similarly increased too, so is maybe correct.  Team fotos should show, as he is the tallest on the team per those stats.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah - I went from 16th birthday to 18th birthday from 6'3" to 6'6" (then added almost 1/2" subsequently, to top out at 199 cms) so is certainly possible.  Weight seems to have similarly increased too, so is maybe correct.  Team fotos should show, as he is the tallest on the team per those stats.

I just rewatched some video from the Black Sea Cup in May of this year (the most recent game videos I could find), and there’s just no way Zlodeyev is 192cm, unfortunately.

I mean, here’s Z three months ago, scoring a goal assisted by Alexander Pashin (usually listed 5’7” but he may be a little taller now):

A 6’3.5” guy should look like a giant beside Pashin, which isn’t the case here. Z is clearly taller than Pashin, and by a good few inches, but clearly he’s not 2/3 of a foot taller.

• Cheers 1

On 8/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, frank einstein said:

If they do sign someone short term, veteran or whatever, I hope it would be timed for when they think Zlodoyev will be ready. Why isn't anyone talking about Zlodoyev? The guy lives and breathes hockey. Too early to tell but he reminds me of a budding Trottier type -- smart, focused, well-rounded and tough for his size. 

I'd have to rethink the comparison if he's grown that much. If it isn't true, still fine. I'd be be happy even with the Pittsburgh Trottier. 

Nice to have some news -- and talk

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Zlodeyev actually would've played at the WJC with Podkolzin and the Karjala Cup had he not been injured. Larionov had made comments that he saw Zlodeyev as one of his best well rounded centers. He had Zlodeyev slotted in as the 2C above some other 18 and 19 year olds who were highly touted or had been drafted higher. Would've slotted behind Marat Khusnutdinov (MIN 2nd rounder), but due to his injury, Larionov used Vasili Ponomareyev (CAR 2nd rounder).

Its not surprising that Z is getting his shot again. A lot of media cover Viktor Persson as the likely successful pick of the 2020 draft for the Nucks, but I have a hunch that its going to be Zlodeyev. Just needs to stay healthy, and you can be sure that Larionov has intentions to use Zlodeyev a lot. 

I would imaging Larionov would encourage him to sign here as well. I was a little concerned when I saw he was working out with Goldobin. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Googlie said:

Somebody went wild with the nitrous oxide and inflated this kid for laughs.

Not surprising the score considering that team Russia is a bunch of 18-19 year old kids vs a mature KHL squad in Avangard. 

Only caught bits of the game, but overall thought Z had a very strong game despite not scoring. Tenacious checker, not on the same level of Podkolzin's teancious forecheck, but nevertheless very active on puck battles. 

• Thanks 2

I was searching to get an update on Z's height/weight, I found a few of comments by Craig Button.  He's not the kind of player I thought he was at all.

https://www.tsn.ca/dmitri-zlodeyev-centre-1.1472321

Craig Button's Analysis

"Four exceptional attributes; skating, puck skills, processing speed and imagination work in seamless coordination to make a big impact on the game."

Projection: Elite Offensive No. 1 Centre
Comparable: Patrick Kane/Steve Yzerman"

:towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1