The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings sign Troy Stecher

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol ya, but this team tbh never tanked. The year they finished near bottom.. they just out right sucked, not like they traded anyone from their roster to tank 

Agree they didn't do a traditional tank.  They wanted to insulate the pieces they wanted to keep moving forward so they weren't forced to sink or swim and potentially ruin development/culture.

Bluntly - JB blew it.  He pissed Stetcher off by not qualifying him.  No respect by JB for the effort that Stetcher put in for the team.  Remember Stetcher played on the #2 D pairing with Edler most of last season.  He is a bona-fide NHL player and has played 286 regular season games.  There is no replacement in the Canucks inor league system.  Only prospects.  Ad Tanev going to Calgary, we are in trouble for RHD.men.

• Wat 4
  • Upvote 2

On 10/11/2020 at 1:46 AM, theo5789 said:

I don't expect to sign Pietrangelo, but just saying that I'd take him over Tanev and Stecher easily. I'm not worried about losing Toffoli because we were fine most of the year without him and most of the playoffs too. We have plenty of young players that could step up. At some point we will have to use our depth.

I disagree that Stecher is worth twice as much as Fantenberg despite the contract. I think Stecher was offered what he was with Detroit because they paid more to get him to join a bottom feeder. I imagine he had other offers, maybe even us for 1.25 million or so. I think he's a serviceable player, but a replaceable player. As long as we find a suitable replacement for Tanev, we won't feel much of a hit on the loss of Stecher. We may only need a one year stop gap and Tryamkin would be a significant upgrade on Stecher.

There's still time in the offseason to get something done, I don't see any conclusion as to us relying on a young player or anything quite yet. Losing Stecher is tough because he's a good person and plays with the heart of a lion, but as a player, he's replaceable in the grand scheme of things.

On Troy Stecher: “Canucks called Stecher today, he could’ve been back in Vancouver but they were in on Tyson Barrie, Stecher’s camp couldn’t keep waiting, it was a timing issue not a money issue.”

“There were 5-10 teams in on Troy (including the Calgary Flames), the Leafs called as well, he’s a great kid with great character, there was interest from the Canucks, but again it had nothing to do with matching money, it was a timing issue.”

Lot's of teams were interested in Stecher. He*s a quality person and plays with passion and heart, competed hard every shift. It will not be easy for Jim to find a player with that attitude.

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

On Troy Stecher: “Canucks called Stecher today, he could’ve been back in Vancouver but they were in on Tyson Barrie, Stecher’s camp couldn’t keep waiting, it was a timing issue not a money issue.”

“There were 5-10 teams in on Troy (including the Calgary Flames), the Leafs called as well, he’s a great kid with great character, there was interest from the Canucks, but again it had nothing to do with matching money, it was a timing issue.”

Lot's of teams were interested in Stecher. He*s a quality person and plays with passion and heart, competed hard every shift. It will not be easy for Jim to find a player with that attitude.

I don't doubt there were teams interested. But Stecher chose Detroit over all of those other teams, a bottom feeding team. So you have to ask yourself why? Is it because Detroit offered the most money? The extra year? The opportunity for a bigger role? And in our case, he didn't want to wait, which is fair, but we felt we could risk losing him while trying to upgrade.

Stecher played like Biega did. Full of heart and loved the passion, but at the end of the day, he's replaceable as a player and in the position he was playing for us.

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Longtime Fan said:

Bluntly - JB blew it.  He pissed Stetcher off by not qualifying him.  No respect by JB for the effort that Stetcher put in for the team.  Remember Stetcher played on the #2 D pairing with Edler most of last season.  He is a bona-fide NHL player and has played 286 regular season games.  There is no replacement in the Canucks inor league system.  Only prospects.  Ad Tanev going to Calgary, we are in trouble for RHD.men.

• Cheers 1