The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

20 hours ago, Devron44 said:

How come no one talks about Cole Sillinger? What’s wrong with him?

I've had him in my top 9. That is top 9 for the Canucks, maybe not top 9 overall.

I am qualifying this as the Canucks need to take a positional player and if names like Power, Berniers, Eklund, Hughes, Clarke, McTavish, Johnson, Guenther are gone I think Sillinger is a winner you go with.

A bit of a dark horse I didn't list is Edvinsson. There seems to be hang ups about his decision making but if the talent is there I would be on the fence between him and Sillinger in the 9-10 spot. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I've had him in my top 9. That is top 9 for the Canucks, maybe not top 9 overall.

I am qualifying this as the Canucks need to take a positional player and if names like Power, Berniers, Eklund, Hughes, Clarke, McTavish, Johnson, Guenther are gone I think Sillinger is a winner you go with.

A bit of a dark horse I didn't list is Edvinsson. There seems to be hang ups about his decision making but if the talent is there I would be on the fence between him and Sillinger in the 9-10 spot. 

The concern with Edvinson is whether he’s going to be another bustaroo like the Coilers Broberg.  No brains, like Broberg, is certain failure for a prospect.  

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, I guess time will tell.  I, along with many others that have scouted his play, just don't see him having that strong 2-way defensive game as a centre.  Like I said, I think he excels as a winger because he is stronger along the boards.  He looks simply lost in the middle of the zone.  We can revisit in the future.

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing who is right. I just find that there are a couple players in every draft that the mainstream narrative gets completely wrong, like Mukhamadullin last year and now Sillinger and Lambos this year. And maybe I'm kinda biased in regards to Sillinger and Svechkov this year, as they are "my guys", i.e. I was a big fan since I first saw them at U17s and have continued to be impressed and endorse them since.

16 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Lol. I have Sillinger ranked 6th overall. Doubt the Canucks will pick him though. Benning's emphasis has been more on speed and skill.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the various internet rankings, I don't see Lucius higher than 9th, but I wonder if any NHL team has him ranked first overall. I just don't see another player in this draft who can maneuver through traffic and create something out of nothing like Lucius. Most of the forwards ranked at the top of this draft are more two-way forwards (Svechkov, Beniers) and complimentary offensive forwards (Guenther, Sillinger, McTavish). Johnson has the skills to create but is a bit more of a perimeter player. Lucius is a goddamn magician and master tactician through the middle of the ice.

Edited by HighOnHockey

Okay, Edvinsson isn't considered a sexy pick. No no no, everyone wants Power, Clarke, Hughes, Eklund, Johnson and McTavish these days. But this is the hype train. 

One of the Canucks biggest need is a steady, great skating, Big, defensive Dman who can occasionally jump in the play. He's staring us right in the face, but we're all so enthralled with the possible excitement that having Eklund, Johnson and McTavish etc would bring.  

VAN has Pettersson, Boeser, Hoglander and soon Podkolzin. They have exciting forwards. They need to build a wall in front of Demko.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, Edvinsson isn't considered a sexy pick. No no no, everyone wants Power, Clarke, Hughes, Eklund, Johnson and McTavish these days. But this is the hype train. 

One of the Canucks biggest need is a steady, great skating, Big, defensive Dman who can occasionally jump in the play. He's staring us right in the face, but we're all so enthralled with the possible excitement that having Eklund, Johnson and McTavish etc would bring.  

VAN has Pettersson, Boeser, Hoglander and soon Podkolzin. They have exciting forwards. They need to build a wall in front of Demko.

Are you happy getting Adam Larsson at #9? That's what I could see happening with Edvinsson. I have a lot of respect for Larsson, so I wouldn't be upset, and I think a Larsson type would be a nice add for us. But is that the best we can do at #9? That I'm less sure of. Larsson didn't develop a whole lot past his draft, but maybe Edvinsson will. If he can breakthrough some of his deficiencies, he could be a great pick.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol. I have Sillinger ranked 6th overall. Doubt the Canucks will pick him though. Benning's emphasis has been more on speed and skill.

Sillinger does seem like a bit of a big intangible guy to me based on his u17 play and the scouting reports so I agree with your high assessment of him.

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hockey Prospect.com and Craig Button both have Edvinsson at #3, but some fans are saying Edvinsson doesn't have the smarts to become a very good Dman. 

Okay then. 

This had often been the knock on Edler earlier on so I wonder what the degree of similarities would be.

The big difference maker though is that early in his career, Edler was protected but a pretty elite group of defenders  and allowed to grow wheras Edvinsson may not have the same luxery.

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree 

we need a blue chip D man with size 

defenseman with combination of size skating ability and soft hands don’t come around very often 

he’s young just needs some solid coaching. People questioning his ability to think the game; he’s a defenseman that has jumped around to different teams. Different players and different systems all while being heavily scouted 

As far as Canucks needs?

1. Beniers

2. Power

3. Edvinsson

4. Hughes

5. Eklund - he can play C

6. McTavish

7. Lucius

8. Svechkov

9. Lambos

Notables missing - Johnson, Guenther, Lysell, Wallstedt

I feel the Canucks don't really need a goaltender right now, and wingers can be obtained by way of trades, as they're the least expensive of the positions.

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As far as Canucks needs?

1. Beniers

2. Power

3. Edvinsson

4. Hughes

6. McTavish

7. Lucius

8. Svechkov

9. Lambos

I feel the Canucks don't really need a goaltender right now, and wingers can be obtained by way of trades, as they're the least expensive of the positions.

Johnson might have a chance of being a Center. He was pushed to the wing because he’s playing on Beniers line who is obviously the more natural Center. You’re list is missing Clarke. My only thing is obviously you want BPA and positional need to match up but if they don’t and you pick for position it could age poorly fast. Signs or Juolevi over Tkachuk all over again. If you pass on Guenther (rated very high by lots of people) you could potentially pass on a 80-90 point winger for a middle 6 Center or a 2nd pairing dman.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Looking at the various internet rankings, I don't see Lucius higher than 9th, but I wonder if any NHL team has him ranked first overall. I just don't see another player in this draft who can maneuver through traffic and create something out of nothing like Lucius. Most of the forwards ranked at the top of this draft are more two-way forwards (Svechkov, Beniers) and complimentary offensive forwards (Guenther, Sillinger, McTavish). Johnson has the skills to create but is a bit more of a perimeter player. Lucius is a goddamn magician and master tactician through the middle of the ice.

I haven't been impressed by Lucius very much in the times I've seen him. The highlights present an elite finisher, which is great, but when I watch game tape, I just don't rly see anything dynamic about his game other than his shot. Here are the two problems I have with him right now.

He skates like his feet weigh 50lbs a piece. Nothing he does looks fast other than some quick stickhandles. You even see him get passed by his own players at times on the breakout and backcheck. You mention him maneuvering in traffic, but I rly don't see that much? I see Johnson create way more, even from the outside, than Lucius does.

While his shot looks very dangerous, he doesn't seem adept at getting open to use it. He finds his way to the slot often, but then he just kinda stands there waiting and doesn't do much to present himself as a viable option for a pass. This limits his best attribute which is never a good thing.

I just watched the March 27 shift-by-shift and came away more impressed with Samoskevich and Coronato than anything Lucius did. I'm going to watch the Feb 19th shift-by-shift now and see if it changes my mind at all.

4 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I haven't been impressed by Lucius very much in the times I've seen him. The highlights present an elite finisher, which is great, but when I watch game tape, I just don't rly see anything dynamic about his game other than his shot. Here are the two problems I have with him right now.

He skates like his feet weigh 50lbs a piece. Nothing he does looks fast other than some quick stickhandles. You even see him get passed by his own players at times on the breakout and backcheck. You mention him maneuvering in traffic, but I rly don't see that much? I see Johnson create way more, even from the outside, than Lucius does.

While his shot looks very dangerous, he doesn't seem adept at getting open to use it. He finds his way to the slot often, but then he just kinda stands there waiting and doesn't do much to present himself as a viable option for a pass. This limits his best attribute which is never a good thing.

I just watched the March 27 shift-by-shift and came away more impressed with Samoskevich and Coronato than anything Lucius did. I'm going to watch the Feb 19th shift-by-shift now and see if it changes my mind at all.

I've been up and down on Lucius. Loved him at the U17 tournaments, but as with you, watched the shift-by-shifts from this season and wasn't too enamored. I've been watching this game from 2020 spring 5 Nations U17s this morning and I'm simply mesmerized.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

I've been up and down on Lucius. Loved him at the U17 tournaments, but as with you, watched the shift-by-shifts from this season and wasn't impressed. I've been watching this game from 2020 spring 5 Nations U17s and I'm simply mesmerized.

I'll watch this too and see what I find. Your thoughts sound promising, hence my revisiting him.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

As far as Canucks needs?

1. Beniers

2. Power

3. Edvinsson

4. Hughes

6. McTavish

7. Lucius

8. Svechkov

9. Lambos

Where is Clarke?   He fills our biggest hole. 
RHD

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Where is Clarke?   He fills our biggest hole. 
RHD

Quinn can play RD, Rathbone and Woo are RDs.  So is Persson.

Who do they have that's big and defensive on the Left side?  Juolevi?  Maybe possibly Jurmo?  Not good enough.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quinn can play RD, Rathbone and Woo are RDs.  So is Persson.

Who do they have that's big and defensive on the Left side?  Juolevi?  Maybe possibly Jurmo?  Not good enough.

Quinn is better on the left, and I just don’t see Woo panning out.  I really hope I’m wrong, I just see him as a 6-7 tops.  
Persson I doubt goes anywhere.  

I guess there isn’t much better on the left.  
IMO our D group is too small and weak as a whole. 

24 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I'll watch this too and see what I find. Your thoughts sound promising, hence my revisiting him.

In addition to what I think you'll see in that 5NU17 game, this play Dobber highlights in their scouting video is really neat (also the commentary is fun), and is one of the plays I had in mind when I said he's a magician through the middle of the ice:

Also he may not be the fastest skater, but I find him brilliantly smooth. Eklund is the king of manipulating the corners in this draft, but Lucius is pretty crafty in there too:

Edited by HighOnHockey