The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Those claiming to have made a mistake....and sometimes you have to pay for the mistake.  And show that you've learned from it.

Doesn't mean because some of us do make mistakes that they should be ignored.

Stuff that shows a lack of character or empathy for others has to be heavily considered because that stuff can be deeply rooted.  A bit of harmless fun is fine between a bunch of guys...but we live in a time where we're learning you can't exploit others to support that.  It crosses the line.

No one's perfect, but if you get your kicks out of sharing stuff that could be humiliating to others, it's not cool.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Patrik Laine said:

Lol I betcha every hockey player in this draft is currently cleaning up their phones. 

That's your opinion (only).  There are a lot of hockey players who probably understand "right/wrong" more than you give them credit for.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think some are missing the fact that this isn't "a mistake".  A mistake is forgetting to roll up the car window and it rains.

If you take a picture of someone in a compromising situation and share it with others, those are deliberate actions that you've taken.  It's common sense that it may not be well received and could upset them so it's important to think first before you act, not afterward.  Especially if you're pursuing a high profile career, you have to show maturity that aligns with that.  

Humiliation is never cool and so it's important to think outside of "self" and consider others' feelings.  Seventeen is old enough to understand that.

I respectfully disagree so do the experts that study the brain. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx%3FContentTypeID%3D1%26ContentID%3D3051&ved=2ahUKEwjz48qIw-jxAhVM7J4KHbAWC0oQFjACegQIMhAF&usg=AOvVaw24Kr9wPPygfCJPwHQInBId

23 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

Discussing the consequences of their actions can help teens link impulsive thinking with facts. This helps the brain make these connections and wires the brain to make this link more often

Which is exactly why you don't just accept it - there are consequences to actions and that has to be reinforced.

And, for a potential employer looking for someone who exhibits "maturity", these actions might not support that and have them steer clear.  There are many 17 year olds who understand this isn't right, I guarantee it.  Not all 17 year olds act on impulse and there are plenty of fish in the prospect pool.

You don't just excuse the behaviour "because" they're 17...you help them wire the brain by "discussing the consequences".  In this case, they may be rather severe consequences and a crash course as he drops down in the rankings.

I don't want my team having to steer our prospects through this - I want the focus to be on their hockey growth and hope they come with the basics in place.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Which is exactly why you don't just accept it - there are consequences to actions and that has to be reinforced.

And, for a potential employer looking for someone who exhibits "maturity", these actions might not support that and have them steer clear.  There are many 17 year olds who understand this isn't right, I guarantee it.  Not all 17 year olds act on impulse and there are plenty of fish in the prospect pool.

You don't just excuse the behaviour "because" they're 17...you help them wire the brain by "discussing the consequences".  In this case, they may be rather severe consequences and a crash course as he drops down in the rankings.

This. So much this.

Anyone saying kids should get a pass when they do stupid things were clearly babied too much as children. I was a hellian growing up. I got into a ton of trouble when I was a kid and teenager. I'm so thankful there was always consequences for my actions. I never once got a pass because I was young and stupid. If I would have gone through life consequence free I wouldn't be nearly the man I am today. My parents made me own up to everything I did, and I'm beyond glad they did.

The kid did something incredibly disrespectful, hurtful, and stupid. He should feel the consequences of those actions or he will grow into an inconsiderate, entitled and crappy adult.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't want my team having to steer our prospects through this - I want the focus to be on their hockey growth and hope they come with the basics in place.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't gotten away with anything. Was charged in Sweden was he not. Its now up to him to learn from this. If he was older he wouldn't of done this as was stated by experts the 17 year old brain isn't fully developed yet and are more likely to make mistakes. 

And I want "my" team to be opportunistic and take him in the 3rd or 4th. Hoping he learned his lesson and becomes a better person because of this. #kidsdeservesecondchances

#everyonemakesmistakes

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

This. So much this.

Anyone saying kids should get a pass when they do stupid things were clearly babied too much as children. I was a hellian growing up. I got into a ton of trouble when I was a kid and teenager. I'm so thankful there was always consequences for my actions. I never once got a pass because I was young and stupid. If I would have gone through life consequence free I wouldn't be nearly the man I am today. My parents made me own up to everything I did, and I'm beyond glad they did.

The kid did something incredibly disrespectful, hurtful, and stupid. He should feel the consequences of those actions or he will grow into an inconsiderate, entitled and crappy adult.

Again was he not charged in Sweden? What exactly did he get away with? I was a hellion to and got in trouble for everything I tried to pull and hope my actions as a 17 year old won't affect me with my current employer. He also takes a hit in his salary if he isn't drafted in the first round does he not? Let's see in trouble with the authorities in Sweden and dropping in the draft losing big money. Yeah I think he hasn't gotten away with anything. Or should we just erect the gallows and get this over with. #foregiveness

Draft is in 1 Week!!!  Who we gonna get?  Today I think they might take Svechkov, Lucius or Edvinsson. 

Shoot, we don't even know who's going 1st OA. Power? Clarke? Beniers? Eklund? It's going to be a wild ride.

• Vintage 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:32 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Alright well we've talked about the top ten to death. Some of my absolute favorite players for a little later in the draft (little bit higher risk picks):

Alexander Kisakov - Was 17 and 140 lbs last year and put up half a point per game. Still under 150 lbs this year, but broke out to finish second in MHL scoring. He's a pure goal-scorer who seems to find great joy in maneuvering with the puck in traffic. First time I watched him I was frustrated with how badly he shies away from puck battles, but then it occurred to me that at his current size he doesn't have a chance to win most battles and he knows it well, and he seems to put himself in good position to support the puck coming out of the battles. He's also really good at sneaking up on guys to steal pucks on the backcheck. Good chance he falls to the third, but the upside might be worth a long look in the second.

Aleksi Heimosalmi - Looks like a superstar at times with the way he is able to be deceptive and make forecheckers/defenders miss. There's some highlights out there of him mercilessly breaking ankles. Biggest problem is his first couple step skating power. Great that he can make guys miss, but they need to respect the possibility that he can beat them with his speed too, or else they don't need to bite so hard on the pull-away. Too many times now I've seen him coming out from behind his own net trying to escape a forechecker and he just has trouble getting any separation. Even if he can't quite get the skating figured out, he could still be a valuable asset on the powerplay.I'm being mostly critical because for a minute there after U18s I thought maybe he was a top 15 or 20 prospect. After closer viewing, I'd say late first round at best, and most likely somewhere in the second round. 

Ville Koivunen - Tuomaala has been getting some hype since U18s (Button had him early 20s), but I actually like Koivunen quite a bit better. Tuomaala's skills are intriguing for sure, particularly his skating and shooting, but Koivunen's hockey IQ is off the charts. I've talked about my biggest frustration with Eklund is how he's so good at being deceptive with the puck, but just can't seem to figure it out how to be deceptive defensively. In last year's draft Lundell and Raymond were the masters of this, constantly forcing opponents into boxes and making them make mistakes. This year there is nobody better at it than Koivunen. Of course there's a reason he's not ranked top ten though, or probably not even first round. Quite the opposite of Tuomaala, his skating and shooting are his two biggest weaknesses. Skating in particular looks pretty weak. I still think it would be worth taking a chance on him by early second round.

Matt Samoskevich - Would have to be considered the safest pick on this list, but also extraordinary upside. That combination makes him the most likely of these four to actually sneak into the first round. I'd put him in the top 5 or 10% of most purely skilled players in the class, but he doesn't like to show it off as much as guys like Lysell or his oft-linemate Coronato. Very high-end skating and stickhandling. Plays a pretty safe, responsible, pro-style game, looking to use his teammates and let plays develop rather than trying to force offense.

I would be super stoked with any of those players in the 2nd

3rd round targets.

Samuel Helenius

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/554237/samuel-helenius

6'6 natural C skates incredibly well covers a ton of ice. NHL Bloodlines. Throws punishing hits and is nearly impossible to beat 1 on 1 especially anywhere near the boards. He plays with Joni Jurmo so the Canucks will have been watching him. He ticks just about every box for me in terms of ideal 3C.

Daniil Lazutin

Still 17 years old lazutin is probably the most under rated prospect in the draft. 6'2 C he's shifty with slick hands and a penchant for goal scoring. With solid 2 way play. I can't seem to figure out why he is so low in every mock. 

“Daniil Lazutin is a very well-rounded two-way forward. He moves around the neutral zone with ease to disrupt passing lanes and apply heavy pressure to his opponents. Lazutin had an incredible U17 World Hockey Challenge, as he centered a line with Nikita Chibrikov and Prokhor Poltapov. His production numbers from the tournament were great, with nine points in six games, however, his defensive work was what really stood out. Lazutin is just about everything you could ask for in a 200-foot player — speed, size, and skill — but needs to work on becoming a more consistent player.” Dylan Griffing,

I would really like to get one of the 3 defensive RHD I have been eyeing. Jake Martin, Roman Schmidt, Daniil Sobolev

Sobolev probably a 2nd round talent may even drop to our 5th due to lack of play. 

Speaking of we have 2 5ths and 2 6ths I wouldn't mind seeing a few big swings. Like.

Elias Florian C/LW 5'8 175

He looked like the real deal at the u20 sure it helps when you play with Stutzle and Peterka but he to me appeared to be far from a passenger on that line. I'd take a flyer in the late rounds. 

Dimitry Kuzmin 5'10 LHD Belarussian rocket I literally jus want to draft him so I have an excuse to watch him develop. He was just so fun to watch at the u18. Now when you're a defenseman you probably don't want fun on you're resume but I don't care. 

2 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

I hope we take svechkov. But I trust Benning and if he makes a mistake I will forgive him cause I'm awesome. Should we trade me for boeser? What u think? I gotta get out of Columbus 

I think you’re right, and we do take Svechkov.  How much you want on your next contract?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Draft is in 1 Week!!!  Who we gonna get?  Today I think they might take Svechkov, Lucius or Edvinsson. 

Shoot, we don't even know who's going 1st OA. Power? Clarke? Beniers? Eklund? It's going to be a wild ride.

Beniers will go first and Johnson will go 9th. That's my call at least.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

You don’t think 17 year olds today wouldn’t know what this guy did is incredibly wrong?  

Unfortunately I don't think they would. This particular teenager is a prominent high draft pick in a professional sports draft, he must have had some sort of coaching along the way in regards to your away from rink routine and know you are under a microscope WAY MORE compared to a regular 17yr old kid. So, I think he should have known better much more than some 17yr old teenage punk kid who goes and drinks at bush parties and does immature things with his friends as a normal kid.

Of course it is NOT okay to do regardless of who you are but yet here we are, maybe a team drafts him but he has too slide quite a bit after this comes out before the draft. I don't want the Canuck GM to go anywhere near this kid...considering we already have the Virtanen thing still looming in the organization...

• Vintage 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Agreed about Beniers.  I think we might go Russian and take Svechkov.  

If Powers was 2 inches shorter I don't think he would be in talks for 1st. But I guess if we are playing that game, if Eklund was 2 inches taller he would be a near lock for 1st. I just think Matty will be the better fit for Buff. I'm ok with Svechkov I guess, Just don't think that's our best bet. Johnson has homerun potential at 9, Svechkov seems safe to me.

• Vintage 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

If Powers was 2 inches shorter I don't think he would be in talks for 1st. But I guess if we are playing that game, if Eklund was 2 inches taller he would be a near lock for 1st. I just think Matty will be the better fit for Buff. I'm ok with Svechkov I guess, Just don't think that's our best bet. Johnson has homerun potential at 9, Svechkov seems safe to me.

I’ve read/heard that Johnson has the most skill in this draft and the highest ceiling.  I’d be excited as hell getting him.