The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I sooo remember that pick lol!  I remember the analysis where scratching their heads try to make sense of it... I remember hearing the word "reach" a number of times and "who?" lol!  I don't miss those days for sure!

LOL I was just looking at his stats… BRUTAL

I think we somehow managed Ehroff for him though if I remember correctly.

I was bummed about not having a picks last year. I’ve become very interested in the draft. A lot of it for Canucks but also hockey pools now. Really looking forward to next week 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I'd sure like to draft Coronato. Keeps the game simple and has a great well-rounded game with big league hustle.

Well we do seem to take a liking to Emericans. I’d say there’s a chance 

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Hmm a couple hotwings or meat n potatoes I think I know Jim's order.  

Definitely a meat and potatoes kind of guy Jim is. 

But he’s drafted players that aren’t that in the past. I wouldn’t classify Petey as a meat and potatoes kind of player. Hughes neither. Podkolzin and Höglander screams meat and potatoes to me. 

I feel like McTavish might just be an average NHL player, while Johnson and Geunther could be stars in the league. 

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Hey I am greedy too but if we got a player who can produce on the PP, win almost all his draws, play against other teams top lines without top tier wingers and be a leader on our team I aint complaining.

He also elevates his compete and play in the playoffs kid is a winner. Literally has produced in every playoff series he has been in and really stood out.

At his age he is almost "he is what he is".

I think his defensive details can improve year after year here still and I think we will see his offensive production improve with better wingers and with a healthy EP40 and better overall team defence,

A guy who can score 65+ points while playing against top lines on a fair contract, that is a blessing to every team.

But seriously the draft year Bo had was immensely more promising than McTavishes. Bo biggest question mark was his skating and he turned his biggest weakness into a strength. He has developed at a new linear pace and it is safe to say he will be a little bit better next year as well with an improved and healthy roster.

I can see Horvat hitting closer to 70 points this season. Could be a career year for the man. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A factor no one seems to mention: Of all the struggling world economies, Russia is one I'd be bullish on. With their(seemingly unlimited) natural resources, & growing alliance with China, they are uniquely positioned.

Imagine there is a market crash in the west, & the US buck turns to crap. I've seen several well-informed analysts predict this pending possibility(admittedly, longer than they'd like to admit).

IFFF this day ever does arrive, not sure you'd want too much tied up in young Russian prospects.

Maybe I'm biased, & simply HATE how the NHL conducts their biz? Possible. But I will predict that in the next 3-5 yr window the Russian league(will up their modest cap) & start competing to draw more & more strong young talent.

Kaprizov should prove an interesting barometer.

Interesting take Nux. Yeah could be reason for concern, but damn I would like a pal for Podz... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see Horvat hitting closer to 70 points this season. Could be a career year for the man. 

100% I could see that being a possibility. He should be a 65-75 pt guy I feel as long as he stays on PP1 and the team stays healthy and he's not taking every single face off. lol

Edited by R3aL

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

And with their first round pick Vancouver Canucks select…. Patrick White. 

Those were the days hey guys. I remember back then I didn’t care about the draft cause we usually didn’t have any picks and rarely drafted an NHL player 

God I remember discussion of being like he actually has the second best shot in the draft to Stamkos or something along those lines

LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Well we do seem to take a liking to Emericans. I’d say there’s a chance 

Theres going to a be a lot of US collegiate players that will jump ahead in the draft. Todd Harvey who was in Global news highlighted that they basically were relying on videos and maybe a small fraction of their euro scouts with their evaluations while guys like Kent Johnson (who by the way Harvey spoke glowingly about) they were able to scout him heavily in person. They were just able to see their play off the puck without the camera, mannerisms etc. I do think, because of the unique circumstances, they talent being a small difference in the pick, they;ll give the nudge to the guy theyve had live eyeballs on

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Hey I am greedy too but if we got a player who can produce on the PP, win almost all his draws, play against other teams top lines without top tier wingers and be a leader on our team I aint complaining.

He also elevates his compete and play in the playoffs kid is a winner. Literally has produced in every playoff series he has been in and really stood out.

At his age he is almost "he is what he is".

I think his defensive details can improve year after year here still and I think we will see his offensive production improve with better wingers and with a healthy EP40 and better overall team defence,

A guy who can score 65+ points while playing against top lines on a fair contract, that is a blessing to every team.

But seriously the draft year Bo had was immensely more promising than McTavishes. Bo biggest question mark was his skating and he turned his biggest weakness into a strength. He has developed at a new linear pace and it is safe to say he will be a little bit better next year as well with an improved and healthy roster.

Yeah, Bo had enough upside during his draft year and yet he was also one of the sure fire NHL players in the draft. A guy with the intangibles, if he even became just a 30pt player but he was doing 55-60% in the draws, he's going to be employed in the league for a long time. Bo had a specialty and it just so happens he was able to develop further many parts of his game to become the cornerstone player that he is. Nikushkin had a much higher upside, but Bo was the safer NHLer and by Canucks standards at that time, we REALLY needed a 1st rounder to at least be an everyday NHL player

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

God I remember discussion of being like he actually has the second best shot in the draft to Stamkos or something along those lines

LOL

I remember him saying he got drafted into the whl but didn’t really know much about that league and plus he wanted to stay and play high school with his friends.

• Haha 1

Will Scouch”s final list: 

not a a fan of his format but here you go:

1st Overall - Buffalo Sabres
Will Pick - Matthew Beniers
Gut Pick - Owen Power
2nd Overall - Seattle Kraken
Will Pick - William Eklund
Gut Pick - Matthew Beniers
3rd Overall - Anaheim Ducks
Will Pick - Luke Hughes
Gut Pick - Brandt Clarke
4th Overall - New Jersey Devils
Will Pick - Brandt Clarke
Gut Pick - Luke Hughes

5th Overall - Columbus Blue Jackets
Will Pick - Fabian Lysell
Gut Pick - William Eklund

6th Overall - Detroit Red Wings
Will Pick - Owen Power
Gut Pick - Kent Johnson

7th Overall - San Jose Sharks
Will Pick - Jesper Wallstedt
Gut Pick - Fabian Lysell

8th Overall - Los Angeles Kings
Will Pick - Simon Edvinsson
Gut Pick - Dylan Guenther

9th Overall - Vancouver Canucks
Will Pick - Kent Johnson
Gut Pick - Mason McTavish
10th Overall - Ottawa Senators
Will Pick - Mason McTavish
Gut Pick - Simon Edvinsson

11th Overall - Chicago Blackhawks
Will Pick - Dylan Guenther
Gut Pick - Chaz Lucius

12th Overall - Calgary Flames
Will Pick - Logan Stankoven
Gut Pick - Carson Lambos

13th Overall - Philadelphia Flyers
Will Pick - Fyodor Svechkov
Gut Pick - Matthew Coronato

14th Overall - Dallas Stars
Will Pick - Simon Robertsson
Gut Pick - Cole Sillinger

15th Overall - New York Rangers
Will Pick - Aatu Raty
Gut Pick - Zachary L'Heureux

16th Overall - St. Louis Blues
Will Pick - Cole Sillinger
Gut Pick - Corson Ceulemans

Full list and write up here:

https://www.scouching.ca/the-blog/scouchings-post-stanley-cup-final-mock-draft

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What is the difference between gut pick and will pick?  Both instances he's guessing.  More like Will Slouch.

I suspect Will pick is who he would pick at that spot aka his talent rankings. Gut pick is who he thinks will be picked at that spot.

44 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I suspect Will pick is who he would pick at that spot aka his talent rankings. Gut pick is who he thinks will be picked at that spot.

That’s why I didn’t like the Format

i interpreted as who the team “Will” pick and “Gut”pick is who he thinks should actually be picked 

so team need vs his rankings essentially 

basically two lists

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Will Scouch”s final list: 

not a a fan of his format but here you go:

1st Overall - Buffalo Sabres
Will Pick - Matthew Beniers
Gut Pick - Owen Power

2nd Overall - Seattle Kraken
Will Pick - William Eklund
Gut Pick - Matthew Beniers

3rd Overall - Anaheim Ducks
Will Pick - Luke Hughes
Gut Pick - Brandt Clarke

4th Overall - New Jersey Devils
Will Pick - Brandt Clarke
Gut Pick - Luke Hughes

5th Overall - Columbus Blue Jackets
Will Pick - Fabian Lysell
Gut Pick - William Eklund

6th Overall - Detroit Red Wings
Will Pick - Owen Power
Gut Pick - Kent Johnson

7th Overall - San Jose Sharks
Will Pick - Jesper Wallstedt
Gut Pick - Fabian Lysell

8th Overall - Los Angeles Kings
Will Pick - Simon Edvinsson
Gut Pick - Dylan Guenther

9th Overall - Vancouver Canucks
Will Pick - Kent Johnson
Gut Pick - Mason McTavish

10th Overall - Ottawa Senators
Will Pick - Mason McTavish
Gut Pick - Simon Edvinsson

11th Overall - Chicago Blackhawks
Will Pick - Dylan Guenther
Gut Pick - Chaz Lucius

12th Overall - Calgary Flames
Will Pick - Logan Stankoven
Gut Pick - Carson Lambos

13th Overall - Philadelphia Flyers
Will Pick - Fyodor Svechkov
Gut Pick - Matthew Coronato

14th Overall - Dallas Stars
Will Pick - Simon Robertsson
Gut Pick - Cole Sillinger

15th Overall - New York Rangers
Will Pick - Aatu Raty
Gut Pick - Zachary L'Heureux

16th Overall - St. Louis Blues
Will Pick - Cole Sillinger
Gut Pick - Corson Ceulemans

Full list and write up here:

https://www.scouching.ca/the-blog/scouchings-post-stanley-cup-final-mock-draft

Lol so he ran two mocks at once LOL.

funny guy

just confirms even more how unpredictable this draft going to be.

• Cheers 1

On 7/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks have been lucky for 3 straight Draft years

2017 - Pettersson (5)

2018 - Hughes (7)

2019 - Podkolzin (10)

Doing a re-draft for all of these guys, they'd all definitely be in the Top 5.

Looking into the crystal ball, who will be the Top 5 from this Draft?

1. Clarke

2. Beniers

3. Power

4. Eklund

5. Johnson

?

Hate to say it but I don't think Podkolzin wouldn't go top 5 in a re-draft for 2019. Id say Podkolzin at 10 is fair value. 

• Haha 2