The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

If the most likely scenario occurs and we pick at 9 or 10 I suspect the only top tier d-man that might fall to us is Edvinsson..and something about him doesn’t quite feel right. Could be because we already have a D in Joni Jurmo with some questions about his game.

I know D is a positional need but we need offensive talent too. Increasingly drawn to the idea of McTavish.

Could also envision Johnson or Guenther being Canucks soon.

Win the lotto and it’s either Power or Clarke for me. But this ain’t happening and we must all come to grips to this as Canuck Nation. To hope for this scenario just leads down the path towards pain and disappointment.

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

If the most likely scenario occurs and we pick at 9 or 10 I suspect the only top tier d-man that might fall to us is Edvinsson..and something about him doesn’t quite feel right. Could be because we already have a D in Joni Jurmo with some questions about his game.

I know D is a positional need but we need offensive talent too. Increasingly drawn to the idea of McTavish.

Win the lotto and it’s either Power or Clarke for me. But this ain’t happening and we must all come to grips to this as Canuck Nation. To hope for this scenario just leads down the path towards pain and disappointment.

You also cant rule out coronato as a potential canucks pick if we go forward. Guy fits greens system well. High hockey iq and is pretty much equal to johnson and lucius in getting fans out of their sits with his playmaking ability

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Completely agree. Those other three have massive upside, but lots of risk factors. No real risk with Eklund except for size.

Top four is the only thing I really have set in stone at this point:

1. Brandt Clarke

2. Owen Power

3. William Eklund

4. Matthew Beniers

That's a pretty safe assumption.  If any of those four slip to us at 9 you take 'em and run.  What's starting to worry me a little bit is that there are only four players for me that come after that I'd be happy with at #9 

-Luke Hughes 

-Dylan Guenther 

-Simon Edvinsson 

-Mason McTavish 

If we don't get one of these 8 players, then I'd prefer that we trade down and pick up some extra picks in this or 2022 draft. 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

how do they grade players that didn't play this year? if they played, there must be some good propects there. do they look at the year before records?

Past tape and junior tournaments if they were selected. Alot of players went to leagues like the bchl or ajhl so there is atleast some recent tape.

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Personally I think Edvinsson would be a fantastic pick for the Canucks. I have him around 6 or 7. He skates so well (normally here there would be the caveat "for his size" but not this time, he is an elite skater at any size). One thing I weight heavily in my assessment is motor overall effort level, "heart". Edvinssons feet are always moving he is constantly trying to create something and I think this is where people question his IQ. The thing is drive can't be taught you either have it or you don't he can be taught to settle things down. This will come with maturity and coaching. Comparing him to "Jake" is fool hearty. IMO he's got the highest ceiling  of any D in this draft and along with that comes risk where Clarke Luke Power are safe bets to be top 4 D and I do have Luke and Clarke higher on my list than Edvinsson. However in my opinion at least, Edvinsson is the one with franchise D potential. I  feel a lot better taking a gamble on a kid who makes mistakes because he's trying too hard than one who is happy to just get by on their natural abilities. So unless one of Clarke, Beniers, Luke, Eklund, Mctavish fall in JB's lap. I could find more reasons to pick Edvinsson than not to even if I personally lean Lysell or Sillinger. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Trying to nail down my top 32 so I've been watching shift-by-shifts on anyone I thought might be a fringe first round option. Some thoughts:

Dmitry Katelevsky - Pro-style player with some skill. On closer inspection, I don't think his hockey sense is quite what I though it was. Could develop into a solid two-way center, but I just don't see much to get excited about. Likely a third round pick or later.

Matvei Petrov - I really liked him at 5NU17s on a line with Chibrikov. Add "makes players around him better" to Chibrikov's scouting report. The offensive skill is abundant, but hockey sense, compete and intensity are major question marks. He'll make some "do not draft" lists. Likely 4th or 5th round pick or later.

Ville Koivunen - He was impressive at U18s, but his offense was somewhat stifled by Suomi's tight structure. Seeing him with his club team was an eye-opener. Very high skill level and not afraid to use it. Good hockey IQ and responsible in his own zone. He looks like a first rounder.

William Stromgren - Very interesting prospect. Good size at 6'3, very high skill level and loves to challenge defenders one on one. Only major question mark is his playmaking. He is a dark horse to be a first round pick.

Victor Stjernborg - Already played ten plus minutes most nights with the best team in SHL, including in the playoffs. Only 5'11 but he's a stocky kid, already 200 lbs and holds in own in board battles at the pro level. Tons to like there: compete level, aggression, hockey sense, defensively aware. Skating looks solid, both powerful and smooth. Question marks are with stick skills and playmaking ability, but looks like a fairly safe bet to be a versatile bottom six forward. Probably a second rounder.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Trying to nail down my top 32 so I've been watching shift-by-shifts on anyone I thought might be a fringe first round option. Some thoughts:

Dmitry Katelevsky - Pro-style player with some skill. On closer inspection, I don't think his hockey sense is quite what I though it was. Could develop into a solid two-way center, but I just don't see much to get excited about. Likely a third round pick or later.

Matvei Petrov - I really liked him at 5NU17s on a line with Chibrikov. Add "makes players around him better" to Chibrikov's scouting report. The offensive skill is abundant, but hockey sense, compete and intensity are major question marks. He'll make some "do not draft" lists. Likely 4th or 5th round pick or later.

Ville Koivunen - He was impressive at U18s, but his offense was somewhat stifled by Suomi's tight structure. Seeing him with his club team was an eye-opener. Very high skill level and not afraid to use it. Good hockey IQ and responsible in his own zone. He looks like a first rounder.

William Stromgren - Very interesting prospect. Good size at 6'3, very high skill level and loves to challenge defenders one on one. Only major question mark is his playmaking. He is a dark horse to be a first round pick.

Victor Stjernborg - Already played ten plus minutes most nights with the best team in SHL, including in the playoffs. Only 5'11 but he's a stocky kid, already 200 lbs and holds in own in board battles at the pro level. Tons to like there: compete level, aggression, hockey sense, defensively aware. Skating looks solid, both powerful and smooth. Question marks are with stick skills and playmaking ability, but looks like a fairly safe bet to be a versatile bottom six forward. Probably a second rounder.

Daniil Lazutin is a guy I have heard absolutely no buzz about this year after having what I thought was an exceptional U17 tournament. Not sure why he dropped off the map because I remember being very impressed with his game. He ticked alot of boxes for me 2way center with decent size, speed, skill, quick hands, compete. I had expected him to be a lock 1st rounder this year and he just seems to have been completely ignored. He's still only 17 too with a July birthday maybe I'm off base or maybe he's a diamond in the rough. I felt he was overshadowed by flashier kids at the u18 but quietly had a good tourney. Here's a lil hype vid. Seems to be ranked as a late rounder. Not sure why he fell though to be fair I haven't really watched him this year. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What if's ..... Canucks win Lottery ... Powers pretty much first overall everywhere I look except on here ? is it expecting maybe another Gudbranson  ? Canucks need on the right side ?  I see for 50 minutes a game you have Hughes or Powers on the ice or even Hughes and Hughes for that matter .  Set for the next decade  

Canucks win second .... Now for me it gets so much tougher here .  Beniers , Clarke or Hughes you couldn't make a wrong pick although most will say they took the wrong one or even trade down a couple spots [Staying in the top 8 ] 

Edited by Nurnge
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think if anyone drops, its likely Hughes.

Hes a September birthday so hes younger then most of this draft class. He could actually endup being the best player of this draft.

Luke Hughes at age 20 >  Anyone else in this Draft at age 20.

i dont see Luke sliding down

Edited by HockeyHarry

55 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

What if's ..... Canucks win Lottery ... Powers pretty much first overall everywhere I look except on here ? is it expecting maybe another Gudbranson  ? Canucks need on the right side ?  I see for 50 minutes a game you have Hughes or Powers on the ice or even Hughes and Hughes for that matter .  Set for the next decade  

Canucks win second .... Now for me it gets so much tougher here .  Beniers , Clarke or Hughes you couldn't make a wrong pick although most will say they took the wrong one or even trade down a couple spots [Staying in the top 8 ] 

Beniers vs. Clarke would be a tough choice. I don't view Luke in the same echelon as those two.

My brain and heart tells me Beniers, but Clarke on the right side would go such a long way for us too. 1st/2nd would be a tricky pick - but for me, it's Power, Beniers, and Clarke at the top. But Eklund could very be the best player to come out of this draft too.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Beniers vs. Clarke would be a tough choice. I don't view Luke in the same echelon as those two.

My brain and heart tells me Beniers, but Clarke on the right side would go such a long way for us too. 1st/2nd would be a tricky pick - but for me, it's Power, Beniers, and Clarke at the top. But Eklund could very be the best player to come out of this draft too.

Powers, Eklund, Clarke, Bernier for me

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

Daniil Lazutin is a guy I have heard absolutely no buzz about this year after having what I thought was an exceptional U17 tournament. Not sure why he dropped off the map because I remember being very impressed with his game. He ticked alot of boxes for me 2way center with decent size, speed, skill, quick hands, compete. I had expected him to be a lock 1st rounder this year and he just seems to have been completely ignored. He's still only 17 too with a July birthday maybe I'm off base or maybe he's a diamond in the rough. I felt he was overshadowed by flashier kids at the u18 but quietly had a good tourney. Here's a lil hype vid. Seems to be ranked as a late rounder. Not sure why he fell though to be fair I haven't really watched him this year. 

Absolutely. I'm a big fan of Lazutin. I had him as one of the two or three best Russian forwards at U17s. Not elite skill, but high enough skill level that combined with the size and power element, I thought he looked like a legit prospect. I watched a few SKA1946 games this year, but there was so much young talent on that team it was hard to focus much on anyone (Michkov, Chibrikov, Koromyslov, etc.), but I didn't come away terribly impressed with Lazutin. But then at U18s, I though he was one of Russia's better players. So yeah, it is kinda confusing. Media scouting reports seem to indicate problems with consistency, which sounds about right. But I thought I heard one of the commentators during the U18s somewhere mention that he had a bad case of covid this year and the effects lingered for a while. Can't find anything about it online, so maybe I just imagined it. Whatever the case, when he's on his game he looks like a first round pick or close to it.

Another first impression post just seen some video on Dylan Gunther looks like another promising player if we pick 9th; great hands, good vision and a wicked wrist shot, looks super competitive and battles hard and anticipâtes opportunities and loose pucks quickly. Reminds me of a better Lind 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

2 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Another first impression post just seen some video on Dylan Gunther looks like another promising player if we pick 9th; great hands, good vision and a wicked wrist shot, looks super competitive and battles hard and anticipâtes opportunities and loose pucks quickly. Reminds me of a better Lind 

McKenzie & Craig Button both tabbed Guenther as one player capable of stealing 1st overall?

If he's available at 9; I'm in! 

• Vintage 1