The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Foley Hints at Canadian Division Next Season

Rate this topic

Lionized27

.. a little off topic here,. 

But everytime I see that SN is playing one of the great playoff matches that the Canucks have been in , whether it be from the 80’s, 90’s or into the 2000’s...

... I wonder if they only play audible re-recorded pod casts from the 60’s for all the Leaf fans ?

:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

.. a little off topic here,. 

But everytime I see that SN is playing one of the great playoff matches that the Canucks have been in , whether it be from the 80’s, 90’s or into the 2000’s...

... I wonder if they only play audible re-recorded pod casts from the 60’s for all the Leaf fans ?

:rolleyes:

To be fair, their 93 series vs Kings was great hockey.

• Cheers 2

Friedman on the salary issue. 

NHL, NHLPA take first step in addressing issues with 2020-21 salaries

A quickie blog on a significant development…

As the NHL and NHLPA began grinding away at the 2020-21 NHL schedule, both sides knew at some point there would be a conversation about salaries. In last summer’s collective bargaining agreement, the players agreed to collect 72 per cent of their gross pay for the upcoming season — a 10 per cent deferment, and 20 per cent escrow. In their eyes, that was the deal, whether they played one game or 82.

But, with full arenas far from reality, team owners did not like that and raised the idea of pro-rated salaries.

The players want to play, and the NHL — led by commissioner Gary Bettman — wants to get going. Aside from COVID-19 itself, this was going to be the biggest hurdle.

The New York Post’s Larry Brooks reported Tuesday night that the NHL is asking for an additional 13 per cent salary deferment. A couple of sources warned that this is not, as of yet, an official proposal, but the idea did come up in conversation between the league and the union.

That would drop the players’ 2020-21 gross pay to about 62 per cent while eliminating the need to pro-rate. As you can imagine, the reaction was mixed, ranging from “why alter a deal that was made a few months ago?” to “not playing is a worse result.” (Payment schedule will be key.) It’s also possible the figure could be negotiated.

As part of the conversations, the two sides have been discussing schedules. According to multiple sources, one current option is 60 games, in your own arenas, MLB-style setup with back-to-backs in the same rink, divisional only. Yes, the Canadian Division is part of it. Playoffs to start in mid-May.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They feel betrayed and are angry per Friedman but not playing this season would be even worse.  They'll have to find a way to compromise.  

I guess thats the big question. With covid out of control again I don't know if that is actually off the table for a lot of players. 

Not sure what the players can really do or ask for though in return. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess thats the big question. With covid out of control again I don't know if that is actually off the table for a lot of players. 

Not sure what the players can really do or ask for though in return. 

I wouldn't be surprised if losing a season isn't looked at as bad a thing as it usually would be in the eyes of some players. Get a few vocal, respected guys bringing it up and who knows. Hamonic should have been signed by now, I could definitely see him being in that corner. 

These guys are professionals, they obviously care about the money during their time sensitive sports careers, but a lot of them are also family men.

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if losing a season isn't looked at as bad a thing as it usually would be in the eyes of some players. Get a few vocal, respected guys bringing it up and who knows. Hamonic should have been signed by now, I could definitely see him being in that corner. 

These guys are professionals, they obviously care about the money during their time sensitive sports careers, but a lot of them are also family men.

thats what I was thinking, and most have enough money to ride out a year with no issues. 

Bettman loves putting the screws to the PA, they might be fine this year with doing it right back. We'll see, I suspect Bettman will get some of what he wants. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats what I was thinking, and most have enough money to ride out a year with no issues. 

Bettman loves putting the screws to the PA, they might be fine this year with doing it right back. We'll see, I suspect Bettman will get some of what he wants. 

Per Friedman players want to play.  Skipping a season would just increase the losses and the amounts players need to pay back.  It would also make it more challenging to negotiate a decent TV deal.  

Friedman's article here:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/players-feeling-angry-betrayed-nhls-new-cba-amendment-proposals/

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think a deal will get a done, but I think this also really damages any relationship and trust that existed between the NHL and NHLPA. I don't see them being as willing to play ball next time they have to ratify a CBA. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Per Friedman players want to play.  Skipping a season would just increase the losses and the amounts players need to pay back.  It would also make it more challenging to negotiate a decent TV deal.  

Friedman's article here:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/players-feeling-angry-betrayed-nhls-new-cba-amendment-proposals/

Yeah, the NHL put them in a really ugly spot. 

14 minutes ago, mll said:

hopefully its a transparent process and Gary isn't trying to game things. 

I think a deal will get a done, but I think this also really damages any relationship and trust that existed between the NHL and NHLPA. I don't see them being as willing to play ball next time they have to ratify a CBA. 

To be fair... What choice does the league have? They're looking at the reality of the situation around Covid and the obvious lack of revenue that's coming. As much as I'm sure many fans and even players will view this as the league trying to 'get one over on them', the reality is there's going to be a LOT less revenue and covid going the way it is isn't likely to improve that. There's a 50/50 revenue agreement... Less revenue = less of your '50'. It's not rocket science.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

How - it's not like the league has control over the pandemic.  Owners and players share HRR at 50% - players got a deferral of their share of the losses but will still have to pay their part over time.  With the deficit being more significant than projected owners are struggling to put up that much money up front and are asking for some help.  It's a timing issue.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

To be fair... What choice does the league have? They're looking at the reality of the situation around Covid and the obvious lack of revenue that's coming. As much as I'm sure many fans and even players will view this as the league trying to 'get one over on them', the reality is there's going to be a LOT less revenue and covid going the way it is isn't likely to improve that. There's a 50/50 revenue agreement... Less revenue = less of your '50'. It's not rocket science.

10 minutes ago, mll said:

How - it's not like the league has control over the pandemic.  Owners and players share HRR at 50% - players got a deferral of their share of the losses but will still have to pay their part over time.  With the deficit being more significant than projected owners are struggling to put up that much money up front and are asking for some help.  It's a timing issue.

I suppose that's probably a better way of looking at it, the timing is definitely an issue. With them wanting to likely start a season sooner than later, waiting this long to present something like this certainly doesn't help things. You're right, the reality is less revenue hurts both sides. 

It looks bad though, given the agreement they came to not too long ago. aGent is right, a lot of fans and likely some players will perceive this as a sneaky move from the league. Billionaires don't get a whole lot of slack in the eyes of the average Joe, it makes sense that many folks would sympathize more with the side that makes less, despite many of them being millionaires. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hopefully its a transparent process and Gary isn't trying to game things. 

There's nothing to game.  HRR is described in the CBA.  The league and teams' accounts are audited each year by an independent firm. 

The more the players take today the more they will owe back later.  Players are entitled to 50% of HRR but will be receiving far more than that this season.  Their salaries even after 20% in escrow and a 10% deferral is far more than 50% of HRR.  They'll have to pay that difference back over time. 

The losses are significantly more important than initially projected - ie owners have far more to cover than initially expected while players are taking back an even larger amount than their share of HRR.  It's a timing issue of when money gets paid/reimbursed.

Possible divisions per Wyshynski.  

Canada

Pacific - VAN, CGY, EDM

Central - WPG

Atlantic - MTL, OTT, TOR

East

Atlantic - BOS, BUF

Metropolitan - CAR, NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, WSH

Central

Central - CHI, NSH, STL

Metropolitan - CBJ, PIT

Atlantic - DET, FLA, TBL

West

Pacific - ANA, ARI, LAK, SJS, VGK

Central - COL, DAL, MIN

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Possible divisions per Wyshynski.  

Canada

Pacific - VAN, CGY, EDM

Central - WPG

Atlantic - MTL, OTT, TOR

East

Atlantic - BOS, BUF

Metropolitan - CAR, NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, WSH

Central

Central - CHI, NSH, STL

Metropolitan - CBJ, PIT

Atlantic - DET, FLA, TBL

West

Pacific - ANA, ARI, LAK, SJS, VGK

Central - COL, DAL, MIN

Would that entail teams playing a select number of teams but having accumulated points still factor into existing divisional standings? So, we'd still compete with Vegas/Edmonton/Calgary for a playoff spot but potentially never play Vegas? 

Guess that depends on the vaccine, rapid testing, ect.. 

But with Covid continuing to get worse down south, I wonder 

Would that entail teams playing a select number of teams but having accumulated points still factor into existing divisional standings? So, we'd still compete with Vegas/Edmonton/Calgary for a playoff spot but potentially never play Vegas? 

Guess that depends on the vaccine, rapid testing, ect.. 

But with Covid continuing to get worse down south, I wonder 

The league would be completely realigned for the season unless somehow borders open up later in the season.  If Canada can't cross the border then for equity reasons teams will likely only play within their new division.  Guessing that the top-3 teams of each division would qualify.  Not sure how they will deal with the final 4 wildcard spots - maybe they go by overall standings or simply take 4 teams per division.