The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Foley Hints at Canadian Division Next Season

Rate this topic

Lionized27

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Wait so people are assuming we’d only play the other 6 Canadian teams?

Im pretty sure it would just mean we play more games in Canada not all of them no?

All in a bubble I assume for now.  Then back to business as normal.  I hope?

Montreal is too F'ing far for a divisional game.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not convinced any Canadian team outside of Vancouver and Montreal would make the playoffs next year:

Edmonton still has AHL quality goaltending/ bottom six, plus they just brought in a massive defensive liability.

Calgary still has a top six filled with gutless cowards who play scared.

Winnipeg still has suspect D.

Ottawa is rebuilding and still needs another year or two.

Toronto still has a culture where forwards need a tourist visa to enter their own end.

At least one of those teams gets gifted a playoff berth with this format.

with out your biased statement on calgary, i bet they will make the playoffs, i hate them more than any other canadian team, be calgary,toronto,Edmonton for me that i hate.

Edited by TNucks1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Which of their top six forwards have a functioning set of balls?

never mentioned anything about there top six and balls lol, just saying they got a team that can make the playoffs. aint saying there gunna make it far either, seems like the maincore is getting stale though.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

due to Covid and border/traveling restrictions.

Ah! Well?

As mentioned just a few minutes ago. I cannot see us working outside bubbles by Jan?   But still makes sense to have a bubble up here, two down there...  

24 minutes ago, khay said:

If you are Canadian, you can enter anytime you want. Just have to do this 2-week quarantine.

Thanks.  I've thought it over many times, but the 2 weeks has too many issues.  For now, I'll keep waiting, but we'll see how it goes.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

If you are Canadian, you can enter anytime you want. Just have to do this 2-week quarantine.

I believe that is incorrect as the 2 week isolation applies to International travel.

International travellers returning to B.C. are required by law to self-quarantine for 14 days and complete the federal ArriveCAN application.

Inter-provincial travel

If you are travelling to B.C. from another province or territory within Canada you are expected to follow the same travel guidelines as everyone else in B.C. and travel safely and respectfully.

If you are travelling from B.C. to another province, please check with that province for travel restrictions or guidance in place

So quite possible that travel within Canada would not require quarantine (depending on that Province rules on travel).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BPA said:

I believe that is incorrect as the 2 week isolation applies to International travel.

International travellers returning to B.C. are required by law to self-quarantine for 14 days and complete the federal ArriveCAN application.

Inter-provincial travel

If you are travelling to B.C. from another province or territory within Canada you are expected to follow the same travel guidelines as everyone else in B.C. and travel safely and respectfully.

If you are travelling from B.C. to another province, please check with that province for travel restrictions or guidance in place

So quite possible that travel within Canada would not require quarantine (depending on that Province rules on travel).

Yep, I was referring to international travel. The guy I was replying to seems to be in the US. 

Thanks for the info though. It's helpful.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Apparently the league is LIVID about it too.  Was listening to 650 on the way home and yeah...it's considered a leak that wasn't supposed to be (in accordance with disclosure agreements that are generally in place).

NHL,take away their 1 round pick!!

Edited by goog16
  • Cheers 1

Friedman in his 31 thoughts mentions Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton bringing their AHL-affiliates back to Canada for the season given the quarantine requirements.

30. This depends on what happens with the border, but there is talk that Canadian-based NHL teams with U.S.-based AHL affiliates are considering moving them north of the 49th for the 2020–21 season. That’s Calgary/Stockton; Edmonton/Bakersfield; and Vancouver/Utica. It makes sense, because a quarantine period would mean you can’t call up players. Not sure if those teams would be based out of the NHL buildings or centralized, but it is something these three organizations must prepare for.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

I realize it isnt in the Canucks best interest necessarily, but I would be excited for a Canadian division simply for rivalry and entertainment.

Next year could arguably be an astrix year anyway then and we either would get great Playoff Hockey to watch if the nucks make it or a good draft pick to help keep the core together by brining in more cheap ELC.

If we have 31 teams then about half make the playoffs so it should be 3 or maybe even 4 Canadian teams making the playoffs (assuming top 3 teams from each division then wildcard)

Pure bettman move here.  Eliminate as much Canadian teams from the playoffs as possible.   
Americans don’t watch hockey if there are Canadian teams in it.  

every Canadian team has actually improved (with the exception of Toronto, They regressed lol :towel:), they alll have a chance of making the playoffs.   What better way of eliminating this than to have an all Canadian division, 

I just hate bettman