The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposa] Baertschi + Benn + 2nd rounder to Detroit, plus sign Sami Vatanen or Travis Hamonic to a one year deal

37 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Staal is basically a 6th or 7th dman at this pint in his career.  Jordie Benn is probably better than Staal, not to mention cheaper.   Baertschi is youngish and would be a realistic top 6 player on a weak Detroit team.   Like Staal, Baertschi and Benn also have one year remaining on their contracts.

Perhaps, but they were offered a 2nd to take him. Would you offer up a 2nd to dump Benn? Nah, and it wouldn't be worth it. Benn's certainly the better player right now, but that doesn't matter because Detroit isn't likely to be competitive next year anyway and they know that. The key piece was the 2nd, which is why they ate so much cap. There's also the chance that Detroit thinks better of Staal as a player than you or I do. 

I could see Detroit taking on Benn OR Baer for a 2nd, but not likely both. Not when Tampa is going to have to unload a legitimately good player or two to make their cap work, and if anyone's got an in with Tampa it's Stevie Y. I'm not sure Detroit would see Baer as a useful asset either, it's not as if we've been utilizing him. It's also worth noting that New York traded Staal before free agency, and that the cost to move players has likely gone up since then given the players who could be picked up right now by a team with spare cap space. Just because Staal went for a 2nd then doesn't mean the price to move similar amounts of cap has remained static. 

Vegas and Washington likely need to free up cap space as well, with both teams having a roster of 21/23 right now according to capfriendly. Even Winnipeg might make a move if they acquire someone like Hamonic who has family living out that way. Detroit, Ottawa, and New Jersey are really the only game for dumping cap and everyone knows it, that drives up the price of moving unwanted players as opposed to players who hold value. You could maybe throw LA in there too. Jersey's also made it known that they're more interested in taking advantage of cap strapped teams, they want to compete. 

Nashville's likely looking to compete and capitalize on cap strapped teams as well, not take on unwanted cap. It's also possible that many teams with capspace remaining have set internal caps. 

Edited by Coconuts

Love the proposal...................................BUT

This year will be a crazy year at the draft......especially after the first

There will be more leaps, and more blind hope, and if you have your draft picks and someone else's and you have a great drafting staff

you could get some real plums...............much better than a 6th or 7th Dman on a 1 year contract................

I suggest we just hold off..................

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Staal is basically a 6th or 7th dman at this pint in his career.  Jordie Benn is probably better than Staal, not to mention cheaper.   Baertschi is youngish and would be a realistic top 6 player on a weak Detroit team.   Like Staal, Baertschi and Benn also have one year remaining on their contracts.

Those roster spots have been filled.  Detroit has 14Fs + 7Ds already.  They probably didn't ask Staal to waive his NMC to have him sit.  

They can try and trade him at the TDL at 50% retained for an additional asset.  Benn was D7 to finish the season and Baertschi was not even a recall option.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

It's probably unwise to consider much in the way of player movement at the present time.  With the alarming increase in COVID-19 cases in North America and a strong movement toward avoiding crowds, there may not be any meaningful hockey played for several months.  A cautious "wait and see" philosophy is probably prudent.

19 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Rousell is not a negative asset @3 mill and adding a 40 point C or a potential Lshot Fox is nuts.

Do people not remember how good he was before he was hurt? Knee injuries often take over a year to fully heal combined with not being able to train in the offseason made last season a write off. The guy is capable of 15-20 goals and 35 points + while killing penalties and being a pain in the ass to play against. I think the reason he hasn't been traded is because he's got actual value to us, especially if Ferland is done.

Him and Benn would be easy to move, Sutter might need retention but when he's healthy he has been excellent for us and would only move him if his cap would go towards a guy like Hoffman, Granlund, or Vats.

I still think we are team X and is waiting to see what's going to happen with Ferland since that would dictate what else needs to be done cap wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has several options for dumping cap and Ferland LTIR status plays into who would need to be moved.

I didn't say that Roussel has negative value. That's the whole point. The teams with space have more to choose from. We can't just offer the players our fans don't like. Benning has already stated that they will not retain salary or trade picks to move out cap.

I believe that Benn at 2 million would pass through waivers and if he didn't, so what? There are comparable players willing to sign for a lower salary.  I doubt we shelter Gaudette for another season so we need a 3rd line center that can handle matching up against the other teams top lines when needed. Gaudette isn't there yet so Sutter can still help him learn to play match up role better than he does now.

With our potential bonuses, we will need to walk a fine line with LTIR. I'm actually hoping Ferland can play as long as he has enough sense to avoid the ridiculously stupid  staged fights.

Edited by RWMc1

On 10/31/2020 at 7:19 AM, ken kaniff said:

I find it strange that Baertschi can’t be moved. I honestly think he can still be a useful NHL player. If he stays healthy I think he’s a 15-20G scorer. It’s too bad the Canucks kind of screwed him. He had a better training camp than a few Canucks who stayed on the roster. 

I thought this was a stange move as well.

He has proven he can play in the NHL.

Maybe not the best defensively plus he has had concussion history.

But we basically devalued a guy making over 3 mil to the point where he no longer can be traded.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:39 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

I don't thin Baer is youngish at 28 and he's not a top six forward.

Pre covid top six forwards typically do no clear waivers.

21 hours ago, babalu said:

I thought this was a stange move as well.

He has proven he can play in the NHL.

Maybe not the best defensively plus he has had concussion history.

But we basically devalued a guy making over 3 mil to the point where he no longer can be traded.

I think he was actually make great strides as a 2 way player and being hard on the puck. I wonder if anything happened behind the scenes. He basically didn't have another chance after his concussion.

While that move helps us immediately, a 2nd round pick could easily be a top-4 defenceman for years to come, so is it really worth trading away say a top-4 defenceman/regular top-9 forward to gain the difference between Vatanen/Hamonic > Benn for a year or two? 

I'd go as far as give up a 3rd in the future but a 2nd round pick can be quite juicy.

I've got to think that JB and his cap calculators can find a way to move the money we currently have so that we can afford an extra defenceman. There's a lot of wasted money out there, including Ferland's very likely 3.5M in cap to surely come off the books after the first game. As for burying contracts in the minors, I wonder how much of a difference that can make for certain players.