The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

a comparison of salaries and expenses edmonton/milwaukee

Bad_BOI_pete

so i was bored.... i did a comparison between milwaukee and edmonton in cost of living comparison for the average carpenter, warehouse worker and family of 4

TL DR: average edmonton worker saves more money vs the average milwaukee worker. in the tens of thousands for the average family of 4all units are in CAD. all comparisons are made with the exact same unit for each comparison.

Average edmonton carpenter makes 60K a year and pays 14.5k a year in taxes. Average milwaukee carpenter makes 72.8K a year and pays 17.6k in taxes

Edmonton carpenter cooks and eats at home and lives in a studio apartment in the suburbs . thier basic needs (bus pass,cell phone,clothes, food, internet, health insurance, rent and utilities) 16.5k a year in expenses

Milwaukee carpenter cooks and eats at home and lives in a studio apartment in the suburbs and thier basic needs (bus pass,cell phone, clothes, food,internet, health insurance, rent and utilities) 25k a year in expenses

In the end the American carpenter saves 30.3K anually and the Canadian saves 29.2k

The average warehouse worker for Milwaukee makes 17.1 dollars an hour but works a ton of overtime to make 41.2K a year on average. for edmonton its 16.75 an hour and 33.5K average salary

The american warehouse after 7.25k taxes and 25K expenses saves 9k annually

and the canadian after 6.6K taxes and 16.5K in expenses saves 10.4k anually

Family of 4 in milwaukee. 3 bedroom apartment, cooks and eats at home and lives in the suburbs and has a average health care expenditures of 17.6k. thier basic needs (1 bus pass, 1 car, 1 cell phone,food, health insurance, clothes internet and rent and utilities) this includes no daycare costs. 82.6k a year in expenses.

if the milwaukee family make 145.6k (both carpenters) a year - 35.1k in taxes and 82.6k in expenses= 28k in left over money for day care, gifts and vehicle maintenance

The same edmonton family will make 120k a year and thier taxes are 35k and expenses and are 39.9K . and thanks to 3.5K in child benefits will have a surplus of 42.6k extra for day care, gifts and vehicle maintenace.

so to sum it up its much worse to live milwaukee from a financial standpoint unless you single and making 55K us + a year or if you have a family of 4 you would have to make 164k us + a year to break even with the canadian salary (no daycare costs which are 100% more expensive than edmonton) the average household income in in Milwaukee is 39K so for the massive majority you are much worse off.

Sources

cost of living: numbeo.com

taxes: wikipedia.com

health care expenditures: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/benefits/pages/employers-project-health-plan-cost-rise-for-2021.aspx#:~:text=Including%20premiums%20and%20employees%27%20out-of-pocket%20costs%2C%20average%20total,per%20employee%20this%20year%2C%20up%20%24197%20from%202019.2020 numbers for usa

https://www.statista.com/statistics/567897/average-annual-household-expenditures-in-alberta-canada/1 2018 numbers for alberta

edmonton salaries: indeed.com

milwaukee salaries: payscale.com

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

the discussion came up, in a online chat on twitch. i like investigating and stats, so i dug my nose into it. i may now be the most knowlegeable man when it comes to know about salaries and buying power when comparing milwuakee and edmonton. anyways heres some other stats.

Consumer Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 12.12% higher than in Edmonton (without rent)
Rent Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 31.37% higher than in Edmonton
Restaurant Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 2.54% lower than in Edmonton
Groceries Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 26.94% higher than in Edmonton
Local Purchasing Power in Milwaukee, WI is 10.87% lower than in Edmonton
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

the discussion came up, in a online chat on twitch. i like investigating and stats, so i dug my nose into it. i may now be the most knowlegeable man when it comes to know about salaries and buying power when comparing milwuakee and edmonton. anyways heres some other stats.

Consumer Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 12.12% higher than in Edmonton (without rent)
Rent Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 31.37% higher than in Edmonton
Restaurant Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 2.54% lower than in Edmonton
Groceries Prices in Milwaukee, WI are 26.94% higher than in Edmonton
Local Purchasing Power in Milwaukee, WI is 10.87% lower than in Edmonton

I always assumed that groceries were cheaper in the States than Canada.

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

I always assumed that groceries were cheaper in the States than Canada.

some things like milk. and the important things like beer wine and tobacco.

have some more stats

Milk (regular), (1 liter) 2.61 C$
(2.00 $)
0.91 C$
(0.70 $)
     -65.18 %
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 2.74 C$
(2.10 $)
3.09 C$
(2.37 $)
     +12.83 %
Rice (white), (1kg) 3.81 C$
(2.93 $)
5.23 C$
(4.02 $)
     +37.42 %
Eggs (regular) (12) 3.70 C$
(2.84 $)
3.92 C$
(3.01 $)
     +5.96 %
Local Cheese (1kg) 10.95 C$
(8.41 $)
14.52 C$
(11.15 $)
     +32.62 %
Chicken Fillets (1kg) 13.05 C$
(10.02 $)
16.42 C$
(12.61 $)
     +25.85 %
Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat) 15.92 C$
(12.23 $)
16.50 C$
(12.68 $)
     +3.65 %
Apples (1kg) 4.04 C$
(3.10 $)
10.40 C$
(7.99 $)
     +157.34 %
Banana (1kg) 1.76 C$
(1.35 $)
3.08 C$
(2.37 $)
     +74.86 %
Oranges (1kg) 4.20 C$
(3.23 $)
6.16 C$
(4.73 $)
     +46.59 %
Tomato (1kg) 4.13 C$
(3.17 $)
6.91 C$
(5.31 $)
     +67.31 %
Potato (1kg) 3.91 C$
(3.00 $)
5.33 C$
(4.09 $)
     +36.34 %
Onion (1kg) 2.74 C$
(2.11 $)
5.73 C$
(4.40 $)
     +109.07 %
Lettuce (1 head) 2.54 C$
(1.95 $)
2.90 C$
(2.23 $)
     +14.34 %
Water (1.5 liter bottle) 2.36 C$
(1.81 $)
3.91 C$
(3.00 $)
     +65.69 %
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 15.50 C$
(11.91 $)
15.62 C$
(12.00 $)
     +0.77 %
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) 3.34 C$
(2.57 $)
2.42 C$
(1.86 $)
     -27.44 %
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 4.85 C$
(3.73 $)
2.85 C$
(2.19 $)
     -41.34 %

Back right before the crash of 2008-2009 I moved to the Roanoke Virginia area to work for an import export company. I asked for my exact same wage in US$ as I was making in CDN$ (not exchange rated, the same dollar figure). I paid about $11,000 / yr less in taxes in the US (but did have to pay $250 / mo health insurance with a 5K deductible so I suppose that's close to balancing out if I needed to use it). The single biggest difference (besides the taxes) that I noticed was the cost (and selection) of groceries...not even close. Four bags of groceries here was about $75-80. Down there I shopped at the Walmart SuperCentre and pushed an entire buggy full of groceries past the checkout for $87. We pay WAY more up here for groceries, and for our extra cost we receive less than half the selection. I realize that things have changed in the past decade, but even if we were balanced and paying about the same for Cost of Living, you still can't compare the selection available to the American consumer vs. the Canadian consumer.

Plus for some bizarre reason they call Rockets (small sugar candies in a cellophane roll) "Smarties"...and if you want Canadian Smarties (candy coated chocolate ones), you have to go to the import food section under "British" foods...bizarre...

4 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Back right before the crash of 2008-2009 I moved to the Roanoke Virginia area to work for an import export company. I asked for my exact same wage in US$ as I was making in CDN$ (not exchange rated, the same dollar figure). I paid about $11,000 / yr less in taxes in the US (but did have to pay $250 / mo health insurance with a 5K deductible so I suppose that's close to balancing out if I needed to use it). The single biggest difference (besides the taxes) that I noticed was the cost (and selection) of groceries...not even close. Four bags of groceries here was about $75-80. Down there I shopped at the Walmart SuperCentre and pushed an entire buggy full of groceries past the checkout for $87. We pay WAY more up here for groceries, and for our extra cost we receive less than half the selection. I realize that things have changed in the past decade, but even if we were balanced and paying about the same for Cost of Living, you still can't compare the selection available to the American consumer vs. the Canadian consumer.

Plus for some bizarre reason they call Rockets (small sugar candies in a cellophane roll) "Smarties"...and if you want Canadian Smarties (candy coated chocolate ones), you have to go to the import food section under "British" foods...bizarre...

your right grocerie prices in roanoke are cheaper, by alot.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Canada&city1=Roanoke%2C+VA&city2=Vancouver

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Farmers get paid to produce in the states meaning things are cheaper also more buying power on the world stage and more competition.

19 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

so i was bored.... i did a comparison between milwaukee and edmonton in cost of living comparison for the average carpenter, warehouse worker and family of 4

TL DR: average edmonton worker saves more money vs the average milwaukee worker. in the tens of thousands for the average family of 4all units are in CAD. all comparisons are made with the exact same unit for each comparison.

Average edmonton carpenter makes 60K a year and pays 14.5k a year in taxes. Average milwaukee carpenter makes 72.8K a year and pays 17.6k in taxes

Edmonton carpenter cooks and eats at home and lives in a studio apartment in the suburbs . thier basic needs (bus pass,cell phone,clothes, food, internet, health insurance, rent and utilities) 16.5k a year in expenses

Milwaukee carpenter cooks and eats at home and lives in a studio apartment in the suburbs and thier basic needs (bus pass,cell phone, clothes, food,internet, health insurance, rent and utilities) 25k a year in expenses

In the end the American carpenter saves 30.3K anually and the Canadian saves 29.2k

The average warehouse worker for Milwaukee makes 17.1 dollars an hour but works a ton of overtime to make 41.2K a year on average. for edmonton its 16.75 an hour and 33.5K average salary

The american warehouse after 7.25k taxes and 25K expenses saves 9k annually

and the canadian after 6.6K taxes and 16.5K in expenses saves 10.4k anually

Family of 4 in milwaukee. 3 bedroom apartment, cooks and eats at home and lives in the suburbs and has a average health care expenditures of 17.6k. thier basic needs (1 bus pass, 1 car, 1 cell phone,food, health insurance, clothes internet and rent and utilities) this includes no daycare costs. 82.6k a year in expenses.

if the milwaukee family make 145.6k (both carpenters) a year - 35.1k in taxes and 82.6k in expenses= 28k in left over money for day care, gifts and vehicle maintenance

The same edmonton family will make 120k a year and thier taxes are 35k and expenses and are 39.9K . and thanks to 3.5K in child benefits will have a surplus of 42.6k extra for day care, gifts and vehicle maintenace.

so to sum it up its much worse to live milwaukee from a financial standpoint unless you single and making 55K us + a year or if you have a family of 4 you would have to make 164k us + a year to break even with the canadian salary (no daycare costs which are 100% more expensive than edmonton) the average household income in in Milwaukee is 39K so for the massive majority you are much worse off.

Sources

cost of living: numbeo.com

taxes: wikipedia.com

health care expenditures: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/benefits/pages/employers-project-health-plan-cost-rise-for-2021.aspx#:~:text=Including%20premiums%20and%20employees%27%20out-of-pocket%20costs%2C%20average%20total,per%20employee%20this%20year%2C%20up%20%24197%20from%202019.2020 numbers for usa

https://www.statista.com/statistics/567897/average-annual-household-expenditures-in-alberta-canada/1 2018 numbers for alberta

edmonton salaries: indeed.com

milwaukee salaries: payscale.com

As someone who grew up near Edmonton, and has family in the Milwaukee area, I can say with all honesty......

You just compared two of the lamest possible places to live.   Hahahaha

I wouldn’t go near either.   Not a chance.  

Also, only terrible tradespeople make 60k a year. 
At the family shop, we pay our guys 38$ an hour which is around 80k before ot.  
That’s in the lower mainland.  
Trades in northern Alberta you need to be making more than that, or you are doing something VERY wrong and it’s not worth being up there.  More money is why you go up there.  Not less money with lesser living conditions.  

• Haha 1

I tried to go for a similar level job with my company in the Dallas office. 

The salary in in USD was the same as what I was getting paid in Canadian dollars and with no state tax after conversion take home pay was about 50% higher. 

Average home price in Dallas 247K US ($309K CAD) vs $1.5M CAD in Toronto. Cost of most other things (groceries, consumer products) about 12% lower in Dallas. 

The insane thing is my quality of living took a fairly sizeable step up from Vancouver to Toronto already. Cities like New York and San Francisco are expensive compared to Vancouver but the salaries are way higher. Also you can buy a nice house within an hour of Manhattan for under $600K - something you can't do in Vancouver or Toronto. 

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I tried to go for a similar level job with my company in the Dallas office. 

The salary in in USD was the same as what I was getting paid in Canadian dollars and with no state tax after conversion take home pay was about 50% higher. 

Average home price in Dallas 247K US ($309K CAD) vs $1.5M CAD in Toronto. Cost of most other things (groceries, consumer products) about 12% lower in Dallas. 

The insane thing is my quality of living took a fairly sizeable step up from Vancouver to Toronto already. Cities like New York and San Francisco are expensive compared to Vancouver but the salaries are way higher. Also you can buy a nice house within an hour of Manhattan for under $600K - something you can't do in Vancouver or Toronto. 

Dallas vs vancouver in a cost analysis standpoint,seems like dallas wins handsdown. everything is cheaper and you will make more money. i imagine at some point having a family of 4 in vancouver makes more sense if our family makes between 120,000 in CAD 160,000. if your single though it will be assuredly be better to live in dallas

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Canada&city1=Dallas%2C+TX&city2=Vancouver

Consumer Prices in Vancouver are 12.79% higher than in Dallas, TX (without rent)
Rent Prices in Vancouver are 5.32% higher than in Dallas, TX
Restaurant Prices in Vancouver are 2.45% lower than in Dallas, TX
Groceries Prices in Vancouver are 32.09% higher than in Dallas, TX
Local Purchasing Power in Vancouver is 40.24% lower than in Dallas, TX

San Francisco vs vancouver in a cost analysis standpoint,seems like its more complicated. everything is cheaper in vancouver but you will make less money on average 60% less (including exchange rate). But wage disparity is real, and im betting that a giant chunk of the differences in pay is made up from the top 1% of jobs,lets take a look

all units are in CAD,

salaries are based off of data from the economic research institute https://www.erieri.com/

cost of living is based off of numbeo.com

health care costs are added to the costs and are $2800 for vancouver and $7000 for san francisco per resident. from https://www.shrm.org/.../employers-project-health-plan... and https://www.statista.com/.../average-annual-household.../1

the average annual costs of a single vancouver resident renting outside of the city centre is $33,480

the average annual costs of a family of 4 in vancouver  renting outside of the city centre is $89,200

the average costs of a single San Fran resident renting outside of the city centre is $57,100

the average costs of a San Fran family of 4  renting outside of the city centre is $144,500

the afford to live stat for family is based off salary *2 for San Fran and salary * 2 + 3500 (child benefits) for van

The average salary for a Cashier is $43,550  in San Francisco, CA take home= $36,600 afford to live=no

The average salary for a Cashier is $34,000 in Vancouver, BC take home= $27,600 afford to live=no

The average salary for a Carpenter Apprentice is $49,000  in San Francisco, CA take home= $40,000 afford to live=no

The average salary for a Carpenter Apprentice is $37,500 in Vancouver, BCtake home= $30,100 afford to live=no

The average salary for a Carpenter is $77,500  in San Francisco, CAtake home= $59,900 afford to live  single =barely afford to live family =NO
The average salary for a Carpenter is $59,200 in Vancouver, BCtake home= $45,100 afford to live single =yes afford to live  Family =barely

The average salary+bonus for a interior designer is $103,600 in San Francisco, CA take home= $75,800 afford to live  single =yes afford to live family =yes

The average salary+bonus for a Interior designer is $77,700 in Vancouver, BC. take home= $58,300 afford to live  single =yes afford to live family =yes

The average salary+bonus for a paralegal is $108,600 in San Francisco, CA take home= $78,900

The average salary+bonus for a paralegal is $81,700 in Vancouver, BC. take home= $61,200

The average salary+bonus for a accountant is $131,800 in San Francisco, CA take home= $91,200

The average salary+bonus for a accountant is $97,400 in Vancouver, BC. take home= $72,100

The average salary+bonus for a Civil Engineer is $151,200 in San Francisco, CA take home= $99,000

The average salary+bonus for a Civil Engineer is $108,100 per year in Vancouver, BC take home= $78,700

You need to make roughly 165,000 CAD in san fran before it makes sense to live there finacially if your single (entry level  management, experienced civil engineer)

you need to make roughly 204,000 CAD *2 in san fran before it makes sense to live there finacially if your single (upper middle management)

The average salary+bonus for a Human Resource Manager is $208,400 in San Francisco, CA take home= $130,300

The average salary+bonus for a Human Resource Manager is is $143,500 in Vancouver, BC. take home= $100,400

The average salary+bonus for a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) in San Francisco is $509,500 take home= $301,400

The average salary+bonus for a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) in Vancouver is $307,200 take home= $191300

The average total compensation for a CEO in San Francisco is $2,080,000 take home= $1,070,000

The average total compensation for a CEO  in Vancouver is $650,700 take home= $363,700

yup, wage disparity is a joke in the states.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=United+States&city1=Vancouver&city2=San+Francisco%2C+CA

Consumer Prices in San Francisco, CA are 25.24% higher than in Vancouver (without rent)
Rent Prices in San Francisco, CA are 120.00% higher than in Vancouver
Restaurant Prices in San Francisco, CA are 35.93% higher than in Vancouver
Groceries Prices in San Francisco, CA are 19.95% higher than in Vancouver
Local Purchasing Power in San Francisco, CA is 50.83% higher than in Vancouver

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Canada&city1=New+York%2C+NY&city2=Vancouver

Consumer Prices in Vancouver are 25.91% lower than in New York, NY (without rent)
Rent Prices in Vancouver are 50.28% lower than in New York, NY
Restaurant Prices in Vancouver are 35.31% lower than in New York, NY
Groceries Prices in Vancouver are 22.11% lower than in New York, NY
Local Purchasing Power in Vancouver is 2.82% lower than in New York, NY

i wont do a comparison because you can easily see you will be better off in vancouver over new york financially, without even considering health care expenditures.

Edited by Petey_BOI