The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, stawns said:

Well, I haven't been tested and positive I have it and I know three others in the same boat.  My gf has zero symptoms but almost certainly has it in her system (or did) and I'm sure she's not the only one in that boat either.

It's not about the social distancing in a restaurant, it's about plates, bowls, utensils, glasses etc etc etc.  

and you believe

people like yourself

who might believe they have symptoms

would go out to restaurants when feeling poorly?

i really don't think so

i think almost everyone has gotten the message about how serious this virus issue is

and the modified behaviors of people in the past month

it largely why the outbreak has become more managed

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i can find a more accurate response though

I have been looking but can only find info from around April 1/20.

But if "only 18" people outside of care homes have died then B.C. does look to be doing really, really well.

• Cheers 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

and you believe

people like yourself

i really don't think so

i think almost everyone has gotten the message about how serious this virus issue is

Then you are tragically naive about human beings.  I know several people who were sick, whether it was covid or not, who went out to grocery stores, regardless of warnings and advice.  I'm not one of them, I've been isolated since mid March when my symptoms started.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

I have been looking but can only find info from around April 1/20.

But if "only 18" people outside of care homes have died then B.C. does look to be doing really, really well.

yes

and remember

most of the numbers here are related to clusters

we had the initial long term care issue

and travel clusters from china, iran and egypt

then the bc dental conference

and now the mission pen issue

so the ones that are not part of clusters are actually reasonably small

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then you are tragically naive about human beings.  I know several people who were sick, whether it was covid or not, who went out to grocery stores, regardless of warnings and advice.  I'm not one of them, I've been isolated since mid March when my symptoms started.

and you are becoming extreme

to the point of being silly

you think we should also deal with crime in this fashion

make everyone stay at home

because of the risk of a few people wanting to engage in crime?

the idea is to achieve a reasonable balance

get the virus under control so it can be managed

use extreme measures to achieve that

when that is achieved

modify and relax some of the measures

i don't think i'm being extreme in saying we have done a good job

and a review of the extreme measures needs to happen in the near future

my initial post

simply wanted to point out

the real numbers we are actually dealing with

outside of the known clusters

is about 200 across the province presently

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and you believe

people like yourself

i really don't think so

I'd love to be able to believe every human being will do the right thing. I really do.

However, when in human history has it happened where at least some people didn't do what they should have done? I just don't think you're being realistic at all with your statement and believe me when I say, I'm an idealist. I want what's best for the world but when I see non-essential stores packed with people still, that goes entirely against what you are saying is happening.

Also, keep in mind the cases are KNOWN cases. Multiply that number by at least 3 or 4 times (if not more) if you want a realistic answer since you also have people with little to no symptoms or people who just stayed home with covid without being tested.

Also, I want to point out that, if you want a better outcome, you plan for the worst. If you ignore what could happen you make things worse.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I'd love to be able to believe every human being will do the right thing. I really do.

However, when in human history has it happened where at least some people didn't do what they should have done? I just don't think you're being realistic at all with your statement and believe me when I say, I'm an idealist. I want what's best for the world but when I see non-essential stores packed with people still, that goes entirely against what you are saying is happening.

Also, keep in mind the cases are KNOWN cases. Multiply that number by at least 3 or 4 times (if not more) if you want a realistic answer since you also have people with little to no symptoms or people who just stayed home with covid without being tested.

There was a video posted in this thread of a guy spitting on the control panel of an elevator.   So that goes to show you that there are some crappy human beings out there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I haven't been in here in awhile...can you provide a source for this?  I'd guess this is extremely low and doesn't represent the "real" number.  This is scary to spread numbers as fact when, in fact, no one really knows.  It will give some a false sense of security and a free pass to let up on things.

Some of us have done a good job...while the others flit around out there, toying with this thing like it's a Press Your Luck game show.  It's infuriating to me because it's my family's health and well being that they're potentially playing with.  They're not just foolishly taking a chance on their own behalf, but this stuff spreads and their stubborn ignorance puts others at risk.  

Wherever he got that number, it's not correct at all according to the actual authroities.

http://www.bccdc.ca/about/news-stories/stories/2020/information-on-novel-coronavirus

About 500 active cases, and that's just known ones.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

There was a video posted in this thread of a guy spitting on the control panel of an elevator.   So that goes to show you that there are some crappy human beings out there. 

Exactly this. I'd love to have coastal's perspective to be reality but it's far from it unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Exactly this. I'd love to have coastal's perspective to be reality but it's far from it unfortunately.

I do think we're managing it pretty well and at some point were going to have to find a happy medium, but I think we're still a month or two from that point and I don't agree with his assertion that the food service industry is a place to ease off.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do think we're managing it pretty well and at some point were going to have to find a happy medium, but I think we're still a month or two from that point and I don't agree with his assertion that the food service industry is a place to ease off.

Thing is, once you stop managing it the window for it to explode opens up and it can undo all that you've worked for.  So it has to be a very well thought out gradual easing off.  Some have proven they can't do what they're asked/told, so it's mostly about that demographic.  The "I do what I want" bad apples who spoil it.  

• Cheers 3

Trudeau said it won't be back to normal until a vaccine is made. 

However, that doesn't means the strict restrictions will remain forever.  I see the Government loosening up some of the rules/orders in order to get the economy moving again.

Plus schools will probably need to revamp their programs.  Kids staying at home will impact parents working arrangements, and that will also be a drag on the economy. 

Edited by BPA
  • Thanks 2

Just now, stawns said:

Of course it isn't. That's just asking for it to spread more. I realise there are people just getting by in that industry and all but bringing them back too soon means the curve becomes no longer flattened and then we are back to where we are now.

Turkey is a prime example of trying to keep the economy going while dealing with coronavirus. Long story short there: it's not working.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

A large part of why America hasn't even hit the peak of wave one.

More like a large part of the arsenal of "democracy" haven't even been tested yet.

It IS weird how little many of these "Jeebus believers" think little of those unfortunate that don't have the means to be tested and/or deal with the consequences of the virus (or the lack of a job for those living from paycheque to paycheque).  Compare that to the large numbers of those 'up in arms' over the Terry Schiavo case.

To use a version of Godwin's law (or this time, nutjobs on the left):

"A Single Death is a Tragedy; a Million Deaths is a Statistic" - Stalin

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Of course it isn't. That's just asking for it to spread more. I realise there are people just getting by in that industry and all but bringing them back too soon means the curve becomes no longer flattened and then we are back to where we are now.

Turkey is a prime example of trying to keep the economy going while dealing with coronavirus. Long story short there: it's not working.

Agreed.  I understand everyone's concern about money and the economy, but we don't get to set the timeline.

• Cheers 3

I see May 1st as the date to loosen some of the rules.

I see schools remain closed for this year with an eye to reopen in September.  Cuz kids are notoriously a germ factory.

Teleworking will become a thing.

Can't see large events happening until a vaccine is created. 

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

I see May 1st as the date to loosen some of the rules.

I see schools remain closed for this year with an eye to reopen in September.  Cuz kids are notoriously a germ factory.

Teleworking will become a thing.

Can't see large events happening until a vaccine is created. 

No chance schools re-open and I highly doubt September is realized stick either.  Schools are a breeding ground for outbreaks.

• Upvote 1