The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022, 88.8% (4,426,451) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.2% (4,146,540) have received their second dose.

In addition, 92.2% (4,273,371) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.4% (4,146,186) received their second dose and 26.8% (1,239,995) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.6% (4,003,464) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.9% (3,889,316) received their second dose and 28.6% (1,238,916) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 2,239 new cases of COVID-19, including nine epi-linked cases, for a total of 286,080 cases in the province.

There are 36,087 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 244,551 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 469 individuals are in hospital and 97 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 807 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 15,988
  • 383 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 10,334
  • 318 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 4,295
  • 167 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 1,136
  • 562 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 4,330
  • two new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: four

In the past 24 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,449.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: one
  • Interior Health: one
  • Northern Health: one

There have been four new health-care facility outbreaks at Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Glenwood Seniors Community (Fraser Health), Saanich Peninsula Hospital - Long Term Care, and Oyster Harbour (Island Health). The outbreaks at Mission Memorial Hospital and Hawthorne Lodge (Fraser Health) have been declared over, for a total of 45 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• The Oxford Senior Care Home, Fort Langley Seniors Community, AgeCare Harmony Court, New Vista Care Centre, Chartwell Langley Gardens, Chartwell Carlton Gardens, Chartwell Crescent Gardens, The Residence in Mission, Czorny Alzheimer Centre, George Derby Centre, White Rock Seniors Village, CareLife Fleetwood, Evergreen Baptist Care Society, Hilton Villa Seniors Community, Kinsmen Lodge, Kiwanis Care Centre, Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge, Morgan Place, Maple Ridge Seniors Village, Dania Home, Amica White Rock, Glenwood Seniors Community (Fraser Health);
  • Kopernik Lodge, Fraserview Retirement Community, Lakeview Care Centre, St. Vincent’s Langara, German Canadian Benevolent Society Home, Crofton Manor (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Ridgeview Lodge, Mount Cartier Court, Sun Pointe Village (Interior Health);
  • Amica Douglas House, Aberdeen Hospital, Eden Gardens, Glenwarren Lodge, Kiwanis Village Lodge, Selkirk Seniors Village, Clover Point Care, Saanich Peninsula Hospital - Long Term Care, and Oyster Harbour (Island Health)

acute care:

• Surrey Memorial Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital, Royal Columbian Hospital and Abbotsford Regional Hospital (Fraser Health)

assisted or independent living:

• The Waverly Seniors Village (Fraser Health)

From Jan. 3-9, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 19.4% of cases. From Dec. 27 to Jan. 9, they accounted for 35.6% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Jan. 3-9) - Total 19,206

• Not vaccinated: 3,125 (16.3%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 597 (3.1%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 15,484 (80.6%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 27 to Jan. 9) - Total 422

• Not vaccinated: 135 (32.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 15 (3.6%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 272 (64.4%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 3-9)

• Not vaccinated: 462.5
  • Partially vaccinated: 195.4
  • Fully vaccinated: 336.1

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 27 to Jan. 9)

• Not vaccinated: 33.1
  • Partially vaccinated: 11.7
  • Fully vaccinated: 5.8

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,775,058 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0011-000037

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gatzkek said:

You're doing what I did unintentionally in my initial post by including partially vaccinated in your unvaccinated numbers? Here's the numbers no one can argue with I think.

hospitalized        unvaccinated 26.6%  partially vaccinated   5.3%      fully vaccinated 68.1%

population                                 16.9%                                   5.6%                                77.5%     

The biggest issue i have with numbers and percentages is they dont tell the full story. Weve now seen many health leaders from Canada and internationally start to admit the hospital numbers are inflated. Jake Tapper from CNN was just talking about this as well wondering why we havent had more transparency.  Here in Alberta, after the government got caught lying about a 4 year old boy who died from stage 4 cancer ( blamed on covid ) they were pressured to release more details and numbers. 77% of all covid deaths came from people who were suffering from 3 or more major complications ( stage 4 cancer, dementia, etc ). Not to diminish anyone's life but realistically these were people who were probably near the end. I believe it was 85 % were older than 68 ( again, both of my parents are in there 70's so im not downplaying the importance of elderly ) but It turned out that only 4% of all covid deaths were from your average regular Joe. This is on average with what normal flu death rates are.  I know the CDC mentioned they will start to release those stats but rumor has it that its close to 75% of the covid deaths will have had other major factors. I wish we had more transparency on these ICU cases especially when they throw around unvaxxed numbers. Are they your 20-40 year who is out protesting or are they elderly people who are alone/scared or unable to get the vaccine ?

Edited by TheAce
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Everything in that article can be applied to education as well

I whole heartedly agree. Support your health care workers and teachers. They don't need extra BS at this time, and they are really struggling (after already busting at the seams). I hope there is a change in government attitude quickly, or there won't be anyone left that wants the jobs. 

2 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Should have added ...for high risk groups that are past 6 months from second dose. Studies are showing that it doesn't give you another 6 months though. The boost is very short lived for a few weeks and declines quickly. It won't hurt to get it, but it's being VERY oversold here. 

Okay fine...got a link for this? 

• Like 2

I think this best sums up the anti movement 

They really feel others must put their health on the line so that they may do as.they please , where they please and when the please

This was private property and they swarm.bullied customers in an attempt to have them unmask

Shameful yellow cowards 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/maskless-monday-protests-kamloops-1.6311567

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, iwtl said:

They really feel others must put their health on the line so that they may do as.they please , where they please and when the please

This was private property and they swarm.bullied customers in an attempt to have them unmask

Shameful yellow cowards 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/maskless-monday-protests-kamloops-1.6311567

Still with the "education" approach

3 minutes ago, iwtl said:

Shameful yellow cowards 

Good for Quebec forcing antivaxxers to pay fines.  I’d like us to just require (adults) vaccination for any Covid care. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, iwtl said:

That parent should have been arrested.  Again another Yellow coward.  I'm not big into cancel culture but it's time these cowards are held accountable in public for this behavior 

The guy knows the teachers can't change the rules so this is to scare the children.

Worst type of human feces using children for his nonsense 

He's a thorn in our side at the best of times.  Not surprisingly he won't let his son wear a mask at school

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Any idea when they are going to mandate 3rd doses?

Who are “they”?

with Omi burning through everyone fast, like it’s doing, I see Covid moving to endemic within a couple months.  Then, we will get a Covid shot at the same time we get our flu shot.  It will be a yearly thing, especially for those at higher risk, or who work with those at higher risk.  Heck, before this pandemic (during flu season) people who didn’t get a flu shot were expected to mask up visiting at the old folks’ homes. 

Edited by Alflives

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you

A great summary of life right now lol

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who are “they”?

with Omi burning through everyone fast, like it’s doing, I see Covid moving to endemic within a couple months.  Then, we will get a Covid shot at the same time we get our flu shot.  It will be a yearly thing, especially for those at higher risk, or who work with those at higher risk.  Heck, before this pandemic (during flu season) people who didn’t get a flu shot were expected to mask up visiting at the old folks’ homes. 

Our beloved authority. Im just thinking - with the 2 dose vaccines waning and all - it would make sense to mandate another booster (logically)... unless they are just going to ditch the mandates all together when it comes up in a few weeks (doubtful).

I hope you are right about the bolded & we can start moving beyond this stuff. It would be nice to see our resources focused towards infrastructure. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I dont know if this thread is sufficient or perhaps I will start another one as well dealing specifically with what to do if you are identified as a close contact and being potentially exposed as well as how to let others you share a household with including the unvaccinated/high risk immune compromised.

How to self isolate when should you get tested etc.

To get to the meat of the matter.  I got a call from my employer saying that I am a close contact and potentially exposed to a co worker who reported developing Covid 19 symptoms overnight.

I share a household with an elderly family member part of the identified high risk group.

I am fully double vaccinated and sanitize as best I can through out the day and wear a mask except when showering,sleeping or eating or going to the bathroom.

I have made sure not to have physical contact outside my immediate household for the last 2 years and  I have been making only essential trips outdoors for groceries and gas. I have not traveled, have not had any friends or relatives over to my house.

I have canceled and pushed back any non urgent appointments.

My point is despite my uttermost  best efforts to hear this news is devastating..

I don't know where to go from here right now..

I feel angry and stupid. 

According to dr. Henry we will all get exposed to Covid, especially with this Omicron variant.  But she also said that those people who are vaccinated (and boosted if in a high risk group) will almost always experience mild symptoms if any at all.  It’s the unvaccinated who are most likely to end up in ICU and intubated.  

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

A great summary of life right now lol

"They", our beloved authority.

Im just thinking - with the 2 dose vaccines waning and all - it would make sense to mandate another booster (logically)... unless they are just going to ditch the mandates all together (doubtful).

I hope you are right about the bolded & we can get beyond this stuff. Then it would be nice to see our resources focused towards infrastructure. 

Rather than getting a regular (safe, effective, and free) vaccine for protection people could just get Covid every year and have natural immunity.  If they get really sick, there’s drinking urine, chowing down on horse dewormer, huffing bleach, and bathing in fish tank cleaner as cures.  Me, I’ll just get the vaccine at the same time I get a flu shot.  

• Cheers 1